Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:58 PM

47 posts, read 200,763 times

Advertisements

Okay, long roll a coaster ride regarding our home situation.

Thought we had a home on Corona/Alamo Heights Cottage area, did, didn't, did, officially don't!

We made an offer that was accepted on a home on Normandy (private sale) and can't wait to get started on the build/redo. The builder will be Definitive Custom Homes. They do just a handful of custom homes and we like the work we've seen.

Today we walked the lot with the builder and boy are we excited! If anyone is interested in the custom build process please let me know and I can share our experience from choosing a home/lot (almost condemned home is more like it), finding financing (I work for a bank and do customized lending myself) to choosing a builder.

This is our first custom home and we are nervous about having to choose everything down to the fixtures, paint color and design aspect. Too many choices boggle the mind.

I want to keep the integrity of the cottage look/era of the neighborhood versus tearing down and having a brand new looking home. I'd prefer a brand new home that looks vintage. If you have done a custom, please share some went well and next time stories!

This is silly but I've been to the WashTub for car washes and love the knicknacks in their shop. Does anyone know of other full on furniture places that sell the same type of vintage furniture? I would like to have vintage/antiques in place of built-ins in the kitchen & bath (not all, just accent).

Thanks for the input!

T

Old 03-24-2007, 12:10 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
Try antique shops, some are on Austin Highway, Charlotte's Antiques at Austin highway and Lanark comes to mind. Also if you want some ideas on homes look at the house at Albin and Vandiver (in northwood) on the southwest corner it's about 5-7 years old but was done in the craftsman style and looks really good!

Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 AM

Thanks smuboy86!

I think I'm going to head to Houston as well as I think there are some great shops there.

:-)

Old 03-24-2007, 09:27 AM

136 posts, read 449,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
Does anyone know of other full on furniture places that sell the same type of vintage furniture? I would like to have vintage/antiques in place of built-ins in the kitchen & bath (not all, just accent).
T
Tommi, google Vogt Auction Gallery. They bring in antiques from
England, Europe, and Scandanavia and hold an auction every Tuesday night.
I bought three nice solid wood honey oak pieces last Tuesday.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2007, 06:50 PM

170 posts, read 761,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
Okay, long roll a coaster ride regarding our home situation.

Thought we had a home on Corona/Alamo Heights Cottage area, did, didn't, did, officially don't!

We made an offer that was accepted on a home on Normandy (private sale) and can't wait to get started on the build/redo. The builder will be Definitive Custom Homes. They do just a handful of custom homes and we like the work we've seen.

Today we walked the lot with the builder and boy are we excited! If anyone is interested in the custom build process please let me know and I can share our experience from choosing a home/lot (almost condemned home is more like it), finding financing (I work for a bank and do customized lending myself) to choosing a builder.

This is our first custom home and we are nervous about having to choose everything down to the fixtures, paint color and design aspect. Too many choices boggle the mind.

I want to keep the integrity of the cottage look/era of the neighborhood versus tearing down and having a brand new looking home. I'd prefer a brand new home that looks vintage. If you have done a custom, please share some went well and next time stories!

This is silly but I've been to the WashTub for car washes and love the knicknacks in their shop. Does anyone know of other full on furniture places that sell the same type of vintage furniture? I would like to have vintage/antiques in place of built-ins in the kitchen & bath (not all, just accent).

Thanks for the input!

T

I love the charm of Alamo Heights! Although I live in Colorado Springs now, I still own a condo in A.H. that I rent out. I just can't let it go yet. I'm looking for an area of town here that has the A.H. feel and charm to it.

Too bad about not getting the house in the cottage district...I love that area...but as I remember Normandy is a cool street. I'm so happy to hear you want to keep the integrity and feel of the area when you build your new house. Nothing used to bother me more than when someone would tear down an old house in A.H. and build something that totally doesn't fit w/ the feel of the area. URggh. I thinks something could be totally new and still fit w/ the integrity and architecture of the area...but sometimes people would build a house you can find anywhere...know what I mean?! As I understand you have to go to a hearing when you want to tear down a house in the area...but I could be wrong?!

Good luck with your new home. I'm sure it is stressful but fun and exciting at the same time. Feel free to share photos along the way. I would love to do something like you are doing in the future, when my budget allows it. I saw something called a Japanese pole house on HGTV one time and would love to have something like that one day. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-09-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Sharing My Custom Build Experience in AH Cottage: Photos

I wanted to include photos along the way so here are a couple of befores. We haven't broken ground yet but we do have the floorplan and elevations.

I'll keep you posted!
Attached Thumbnails
Sharing my custom build experience in AH Cottages.  Where to go for vintage furniture?-dscf0625.jpg   Sharing my custom build experience in AH Cottages.  Where to go for vintage furniture?-dscf0619.jpg  

Old 04-09-2007, 07:55 AM

196 posts, read 777,046 times
Sorry, I'm new here. What is custom building? Does it mean you are going to tear down the house and rebuild it? Can you share how much you paid for the house? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:26 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
LionT....from her past posts, I believe Tommi is remodeling and using a custom builder/contractor to do the work.

In some areas of town, there are restrictions to tearing down older homes without some compelling reason which is presented to the city council or governing board for approval.

Regarding the cost of her home, that might be better addressed through a PM if Tommi decides to share that kind of personal info.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:33 PM

196 posts, read 777,046 times
OK. Got it. Thks for the reply.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,552 times
Default definitive custom homes

sorry to tell you, watch out. definitive custom homes has alot of issues on not paying subcontractors, and ive heard they have a few lawsuits on their hands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio