Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,786 times

Advertisements

HOA moves to foreclose on 84 homes (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/real_estate/HOA_moves_to_foreclose_on_84_Mission_Creek_homes.h tml - broken link)

While I understand the point of collecting dues and the right of the HOA this seems like a drastic measure that will impact the others who HAVE paid in a negative way by the decrease in home values with 84 foreclosures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I read that in the paper, too. I doubt that any of the 84 homes gets foreclosed. I'll bet all 84 pay their dues and learn an important lesson, though.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:21 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
They should have known they had HOA fees and what they were for when they bought their homes. They (the few not paying) are just being stubborn, IMO, and they should pay it and get involved to try and have their issues resolved. None of this should come as a surprise to these people.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:22 AM

667 posts, read 1,567,489 times
Reminds me of this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ation-hoa.html

Old 03-16-2009, 07:53 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
$130 is a drop in the bucket compared to a mortgage, home owners insurance, property taxes, utilities, etc. Seriously? You can't pay that? I don't even own a house and could pay that.

While I understand not getting answers, wouldn't it have been more helpful to find someone to help these frustrated neighbors get answers, like the media or other grassroots organizations?

Come on!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,786 times
I do agree that the homeowner should have paid in the first place and then filed whatever grievance they had....it just seems insane to me to foreclose on $130 in a sense and it really will hurt those other hundreds of neighbors who have done the right thing, including those who are on the HOA Board. With 84 homes being foreclosed on your homevalue will do more than plummet.......

Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
I do agree that the homeowner should have paid in the first place and then filed whatever grievance they had....it just seems insane to me to foreclose on $130 in a sense and it really will hurt those other hundreds of neighbors who have done the right thing, including those who are on the HOA Board. With 84 homes being foreclosed on your homevalue will do more than plummet.......
It sounds like this HOA is still controlled by the developer, since there are undeveloped lots in the neighborhood. Developers wouldn't want to mess with 84 cases in small claims court. Since their non-payment nastygrams were being ignored, this developer-controlled HOA went straight to the nuclear option of foreclosure. The developer would probably be among the bidders if any of the homes actually went all the way to foreclosure.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:01 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times
I thought I read that the homeowners who had not paid were upset about some things the HOA (builder) had not followed thru on. Witholding payment just makes their case weaker, but if the HOA has some obligations to fill, they should be honoring them.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:15 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
From what I understand the 84 homeowners were tired of paying $130 a year for nothing but some "Color Spot" plants at the sub division entrance. HOA would not return their calls. HOA would not even return calls to Express News. Maybe it's time to get rid of an HOA who thinks it has a licence to steal. Maybe it will teach them a lesson. People need to get something for their money. All those $130 checks are probably paying somebody's salary to sit around and do nothing. Let them go and get a real job.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
From what I understand the 84 homeowners were tired of paying $130 a year for nothing but some "Color Spot" plants at the sub division entrance. HOA would not return their calls. HOA would not even return calls to Express News. Maybe it's time to get rid of an HOA who thinks it has a licence to steal. Maybe it will teach them a lesson. People need to get something for their money. All those $130 checks are probably paying somebody's salary to sit around and do nothing. Let them go and get a real job.
It seems logical to not pay for something you're not getting. The problem is they signed a legal contract that is enforceable by the law. They are only hurting themselves and the community by not paying. This is one instance where with holding payment doesn't work for them.....and more than likely it even states that in their contract. The same holds true for a tenant in an apartment complex that has tried to have repairs made to their home. Even if the property management doesn't do their job, they must pay their rent or be evicted PLUS any additional costs for their lease being broken. Sadly, its all in the fine print....and something that people tend to ignore.

Hopefully the developer will take notice of the bad publicity and start mediation with the unhappy homeowners. If he does have undeveloped lots, he has some vested interest in the community being desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio