Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:58 PM

10 posts, read 23,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Yes, we figure renting is the way to go until we hav the 'lay of the land"..
Roger that.

Quote:
My wife used to do that here and she was miserable because of it.
Yeah My hubby drives 184 miles round trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 01:21 PM

428 posts, read 1,062,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwauer View Post
Roger that.

Yeah My hubby drives 184 miles round trip.
Poor guy.

You should really look into moving.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Poor guy.

You should really look into moving.

LOL yeah...we have been considering it....

I have a guy that is going to send me some info tomorrow on several rentals in NB. (to include townhomes, houses, manufactured and site build homes, etc) So Im crossing my fingers. Have you googled NB yet? My boys saw the shlitterbahn and they were like MOM!!!! hehe

I think you will like what you see. Especially since you mentioned the Austin connection there in your opening post. It is between S.A. and Austin and it has a small town feel with big city advantages right there.

Let me know what ya think!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:53 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,775,089 times
Quote:
Looking into what data we can find on the net (which is always questionable), Boerne doesn't seem to have the greatest schools. Do you find that to be true or no?
What was the extent of your research?

Greatschools.net has Boerne ranked at a 8 out of 10 on their scale.

Boerne Schools - Boerne Texas School Ratings - Public and Private

New Braunfels isn't a bad choice either.

They got a 7 out of 10.

http://www.greatschools.net/city/New_Braunfels/TX

Old 03-18-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
What was the extent of your research?

Greatschools.net has Boerne ranked at a 8 out of 10 on their scale.

Boerne Schools - Boerne Texas School Ratings - Public and Private

New Braunfels isn't a bad choice either.

They got a 7 out of 10.

New Braunfels Schools - New Braunfels Texas School Ratings - Public and Private
From what we could find, school expenditures in Boerne were lower than other cities in the area, which usually (not always) translates to worse schools.

We'll check into the links you posted, though. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwauer View Post
Have you googled NB yet?
Yes, on the 'net it looks like paradise.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:56 PM

It is a pretty place that is for sure. I found another thread that I replied to called relocating to New Braunfels. In that thread there are some great links and information.

I also googled Boerne like you did for the school funding, etc and found the same conclusions you did. NOW WITH THAT SAID It is my understanding as it was yours that lower funding translated to a poorer budget, etc. I am not stating in the slightest that the Boerne ISD is a bad district. I am not stating that it is a district you would want to stay away from. I am only stating that it didnt tickle me senseless when I read about it. I also look at class size, teacher student ratio, graduating stats, etc etc etc.

I didnt just look at the ISD from a statewide statistic. I also look at it by the area its in as far as educational opportunities, I look at the cost of living, the median income vs. the school budget, etc etc etc.

I wanted to be clear on what I meant so not to offend any teachers or folks with students in the Boerne ISD.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,478,459 times
actually, we live in boerne and have a boerne address but my kids go to Northside ISD schools --- if we would have moved apx 1 - 1.5 miles up the road we would have gone to Boerne ISD --- honestly, i have heard nothing but good things about Boerne ISD and everyone I know that has kids go there are very happy with the school district ---

it is a much smaller school district with smaller classroom sizes, from what i understand --- in San Antonio the classes in Elementary go from K - 5th --- Middle school is 6th - 8th --- High School is 9th - 12th... in Boerne the Elementary goes from K - 6th --- Middle school from 7th - 9th and High School from 10th - 12th...

also, according to Wikipedia Boerne High School has been listed in national rankings as one of the most successful schools in the nation when it comes to participation in AP programs...

Old 03-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
actually, we live in boerne and have a boerne address but my kids go to Northside ISD schools --- if we would have moved apx 1 - 1.5 miles up the road we would have gone to Boerne ISD --- honestly, i have heard nothing but good things about Boerne ISD and everyone I know that has kids go there are very happy with the school district ---

it is a much smaller school district with smaller classroom sizes, from what i understand --- in San Antonio the classes in Elementary go from K - 5th --- Middle school is 6th - 8th --- High School is 9th - 12th... in Boerne the Elementary goes from K - 6th --- Middle school from 7th - 9th and High School from 10th - 12th...

also, according to Wikipedia Boerne High School has been listed in national rankings as one of the most successful schools in the nation when it comes to participation in AP programs...
That's very good to know, thank you for enlightening me. If our boy is anything like his dad, (we call him Mini-me, so that's a good chance) he'll benefit from smaller class sizes.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Here's a new question for those in the know, if you'd be so kind to answer:

Are their areas in or around Boerne or NB where one might buy a nice sized house (4bd/2.5bth at least) on a decent sized lot (1+acre)?

Last edited by Runemaster; 03-18-2009 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio