Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times

Advertisements

Hate the cold weather today...LOVED the beautiful 80 degrees yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 PM

17 posts, read 51,024 times
Love the pride most people have in our town and traditions...they are simple and layed back but they are ours.

Not crazy about some (not all) of the out of state influx and how some of our new residents seem to hate the love we have for our relative simple ways.

Worries - Feel like pockets of the city are just starting to look exactly the same...same shopping center just a few miles down the road that looks just like the other one down form it and so fourth, little cookie cutter but they are bye-large new areas that will take time to develop some character.

Wishes - more/improved park areas, looking to move to Westside since I work at Lackland and wish they had more parks out there. Here on the N.E side I have several parks within less than 10 miles of my house. We dont need to go "Austin" or anything but it would be great for the city/county to have a few first class parks.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:12 PM

12 posts, read 49,528 times
I hate that san antonio is one of the most poorly constructed cities in the U.S.
They don't plan for growth, so they make 2 lane highways that half the city has to use during rush hour. I hate the fact that most of the city is overweight or disgustingly obese. I hate how it's a city of parking lots, I long to see nature every once in a while.

I hate the traffic.
I hate that there are almost no parks, and the ones we have are crappy, usually just fields of grass.
I hate that you have to travel to Austin/san marcos/corpus/hill country to do something fun.

But I Love that the city is very clean
and I love that they have smoothie king.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:18 PM

791 posts, read 3,959,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobw View Post
I hate that san antonio is one of the most poorly constructed cities in the U.S.
They don't plan for growth, so they make 2 lane highways that half the city has to use during rush hour. I hate the fact that most of the city is overweight or disgustingly obese. I hate how it's a city of parking lots, I long to see nature every once in a while.

I hate the traffic.
I hate that there are almost no parks, and the ones we have are crappy, usually just fields of grass.
I hate that you have to travel to Austin/san marcos/corpus/hill country to do something fun.

Did Hello rejoin under a different name? Or maybe she got one of her friends to move her... misery loves company, you know.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:54 PM

944 posts, read 3,062,912 times
Right, there can only be one of us on here that doesn't like this town. I will chime in about the dislike of drivers here. I can't wait until gas is $7 a gallon and all of these derelicts can no longer afford to drive around, endangering the rest of us. I really do think that spiking gas will clear away a lot of these people.

Other than the drivers, I think San Antonio is lovely

Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
HATE the traffic and the tailgaters/rude Texas drivers!!!

The shopping rocks though!
I hate that too, but i also hate the people that are goin slow on the fastlane

then you pass them up and they want to catch up with you.

I also hate all those lazy construction workers working on the roads. they always seem to want to work during rush hours, take a one hour lunches twice a day, and are affraid to work at night. lol

Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Right, there can only be one of us on here that doesn't like this town. I will chime in about the dislike of drivers here. I can't wait until gas is $7 a gallon and all of these derelicts can no longer afford to drive around, endangering the rest of us. I really do think that spiking gas will clear away a lot of these people.

Other than the drivers, I think San Antonio is lovely
well as a professional driver i suggest (and please dont take it the wrong way) that you either slow down or get off the road when you come up on these slow driver. because really youre just endangering yourself.

although many people have seemed to complain about the drivers here for decades, but i KNOW WHERE THE FAULT IS!!!!!! its not the Gas Prices, Its Texas Department of Public Safety. why? three good reasons....
1 if you cant pass the eye exam they ask you if you need glasses. well one time a guy next to me said no, and the lady passed him anyway.

2 when you take your exams if you get a question wrong they give you the answer and the tests are only about 25 questions. and if you fail you can comeback the next day, take as many times as you need to. which is a joke!

3 when you do your driving exam they only test you on empy streets (which could go either way) and a small strip of highway.

In my opinion if this state enforced the smith system, or just make some of us earn the licenses there would be alot of people taking the bus. what ive been doing is mailing letters to the director of DPS questioning his procedures and ive been getting responses on all of them, in which he says i do have a point on some of them, but am off on the other.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 PM

361 posts, read 924,744 times
Hate the job market. Since the pickings for non-medical college grads are so slim, getting started after graduating college was the hardest time in my life.

As a fan of classical architecture, I love downtown the most. Most big cities have all but wiped out their neo-classical late 1800's/early 1900's buildings while San Antonio still has a decent abundance, even with all the destruction to make room for new things.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:00 PM

11 posts, read 29,318 times
Yes, therapy and maybe some meds would be good. I don't think your marriage or health will survive without them. You might want to consider talking your wife into moving back east or perhaps a compromise that you can both live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingguy View Post
I just moved here with my wife from upstate NY. We moved here mainly because of my wife. She is a Texan and she has family members living in San Antonio.

1) Hate the "friendliness".
As far as I am concerned, "being friendly" is just a nicer way to say that someone who is nosy and talks too much. Is it too difficult for people to just mind their own business?
2) Hate the slow turners!!!
I don't understand why people have to take forever to make a turn. Just turn!!! How difficult can it be????!!!!
3) Hate the slow drivers!!!
Just step on the gas pedal!! In my not so humble opinion, the 99% of the so called "traffic jams" will disappear if those slow drivers who are causing the traffic jams would just simply drive faster!!! At least, that's my experience. Whenever I am on 1604 or 410, as soon as the slow moron drivers move away, the traffic jams are gone.
4) Idiot turners!!
Come on, you have your own lane!! Just make your turn. Why do people have to wait till absolutely no cars before they can go?!?! They have their own lane!!!!! Plus, if you have enough space, just go; can people drive a little more aggressively please???!!!!
5) San Antonio is extremely slow-paced!!! To me, San Antonio is like a retirement community, where people are just enjoying their slow-paced lifestyles. I am only in my early 30's. I am at the age where I want to and should be competing with others. When I am at my retiring age, I may think about living in San Antonio; but for now, this is not the place where I want to live in. As fas as I am concerned, those people who tell people to slow down are just people who have no skills to compete with others and just try to come up with excuses to comfort themselves!

I am glad that my wife is loving her life in San Antonio. I want my wife to be happy. But I am going insane every second living in San Antonio. I probably need professional help before I go crazy here, or at least, before I do anything stupid that may harm myself or others. I cannot take it anymore!!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 03:12 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
although many people have seemed to complain about the drivers here for decades, but i KNOW WHERE THE FAULT IS!!!!!! its not the Gas Prices, Its Texas Department of Public Safety. why? three good reasons....

3 when you do your driving exam they only test you on empy streets (which could go either way) and a small strip of highway.
Hate to tell you this but........ my 17 year old daughter didn't even have to take a driving test
I couldn't believe it, all she had to do was pass the written test and eye exam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio