Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 04:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Well, surely you've passed I-10 on one of your drives, and possibly I-35. The former runs east and west OUTTA here, and the latter runs north and south. Life is too short to be so HOPELESS-feeling. Seriously, change your surroundings if you're not happy where you are. Tons of us (literally, right?) are happy here and many of us would be happy ANYWHERE. Take control!
Well put Sapph!!!!!! It's already "conquered the world" we care about!! There are more depressing places to be depressed!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 04:18 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sans ersatz modelisto View Post
Lack of culture, lack of diversity, lack of people from outside SA/South Texas and cosmopolitan feel, the horrible roads, the generally worn look of the city, the underachievers, the small town mentality, lack of business opportunities, and just the HOPELESS vibe of the city.

I mean, I drive around San Antonio and it just feels so HOPELESS; like a city that's had it's heyday long ago, and now has just gotten fat, lazy, content, and let itself go completely (kind of like a lot of the residents).

It just doesn't have that FRESH "I can conquer the world vibe" that you get in Austin, Dallas, and Houston. It just feels so dead and pathetic. Now, I see why no companies want to head quarter here, and probably never will...truthfully, it's not just because the city doesn't have a very educated population. It also has something to do with the non-corporate vibe one gets when driving through the city.

It's quite depressing.
Yes, if only we were as sophisticated as you, someone who seems to spend a large amount of his/her life on this forum complaining and whining. Now that's a true big city, cosmopolitan mentality for you!

And lol at you spewing the nonsense about companies not wanting to relocate here when just recently Whataburger bought a building for their HQ after relocating here.

And yeah, terrible job market here, so bad it's ranked either number 1 or in the top five constantly.

Man, sad, lonely people will find anything to complain about whether legit or made up just so they can try and get more people to join them in their sad and lonely world.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:31 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
Quote:
Lack of culture, lack of diversity, lack of people from outside SA/South Texas and cosmopolitan feel, the horrible roads, the generally worn look of the city, the underachievers, the small town mentality, lack of business opportunities, and just the HOPELESS vibe of the city.

I mean, I drive around San Antonio and it just feels so HOPELESS; like a city that's had it's heyday long ago, and now has just gotten fat, lazy, content, and let itself go completely (kind of like a lot of the residents).

It just doesn't have that FRESH "I can conquer the world vibe" that you get in Austin, Dallas, and Houston. It just feels so dead and pathetic. Now, I see why no companies want to head quarter here, and probably never will...truthfully, it's not just because the city doesn't have a very educated population. It also has something to do with the non-corporate vibe one gets when driving through the city.

It's quite depressing.
Orale Debbie Downer.... Imma take you to church.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:05 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,809 times
Non corporate vibe??? WTH???????? Who the heck cares?????

LOL!!! Dang!!!

Last edited by Sweetie Pie; 04-07-2009 at 11:42 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 PM

8 posts, read 14,570 times
-generally friendly vibe
-cheap food/drinks

dislikes:
-lack of nightlife options
-excessive blind pride in the city (ie: SA can do no wrong)
-the northside/southside divide
-crime
-horrible roads

Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
I am inclined to agree with you on the Nside/SSide divide, but then again isnt there always, in any city, a divide in the supposed "haves and have nots" along with the misconceptions they tend to have about one another?

When I ran into a "friend" I haven't talked to in awhile and informed him that I moved and told him where I moved to, in all seriousness he asked me "Aren't you scared over there? Did you guys buy a gun? I would buy a gun if I were you and a bullet proof vest!" Uhhhhhhh.....no. But meh...I'm not gonna let it ruin my LIFE and give me this bleak, depressing, dead feeling about the town I chose to live in.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:30 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
LOVE the big city yet small town (down to earth) atmosphere!

DISLIKE the over abundance of Catholicism, overly conservative Latinos and bible thumpers! ugggh!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:44 AM

616 posts, read 2,083,858 times
I say this as someone who is neither Catholic, conservative, Latino, or a bible thumper:

Have you ever stopped to think that perhaps the things you like about San Antonio, ie the friendly, down to earth, "big city/small town" atmosphere are a direct result of the things you don't like, i.e. family- and community-oriented Latino Catholics who value a strong sense of camraderie and community?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:01 PM

161 posts, read 568,461 times
Love the winter, hate the summer
Love downtown and the Riverwalk, hate the awful sprawl bursting 281/1604 at the seams
Hate driving here
There is some awesome food here, but lots of restaurants don't seem to last very long
Hate traveling from here to anywhere-- why so few direct flights, especially to the East Coast?
Love the support for the military.
Welcoming people, but dislike that (at least in my part of town) everyone assumes you are a Christian and a Republican and looks at you funny when they find out you aren't, like they are very concerned for you. (Funny, really, now that I think about it! :-))
Love how affordable it is to live here.
Wish there were more public outdoor spaces, and wish there were more places accessible by walking.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:19 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:

It's quite depressing.
I see what you are saying, but there's nowhere in the World that is perfect.
You want a cosmopolitan place? Try to buy a $150,000 house there in a decent neighborhood.
Hopeless? I guarantee that all the cosmopolitan places you mention have areas that are 1000 times more hopeless than anywhere in San Antonio.
Corporate vibe? Corporation's go where the universities are, the most important thing for a corporation is to have a nice pool of young graduates to replace the old high paid crappy employers that they want to get rid of.

At least for me,
I'm much happier living in a place that values it's history, has low income disparity and I can buy a house
than living in a place that is more concerned on building skyscrappers, has high income disparity and I could only dream of buying a house.

One thing I don't like about San Antonio,
there's VERY few parks for kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio