Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 AM

81 posts, read 192,288 times

Advertisements

The good: What I love about SA is the slower pace. Other cities seem to be much more in a hurry.

The bad: Hate is a stong word. I don't use it lightly, but what I dislike about SA is the heat. Not much you can do about this except stay inside and plan outdoor activites for the morning or evening during the summer I swim a lot.

This is somewhat compensated for in that there is hardly ever any snow or extreem cold weather in the winter. You can bee in shorts into December most years.

The good: The ocean, Corpus Christi, is just over two hours away.

The bad: Also, it seems harder to find a good paying job in SA.

The good: The cost of living is about 80% of what is typical in ther rest of the US, if the data is to be believed. That is likely why we have so many military and othe retirees.

The bad/good: Traffic is something everyone complains about, but the truth is that other large cities have it worse. I notice this whenever I travel to Austin or Dallas or Houston.

More good/bad: San Antonio is not an intellectual center as yet. UT San Antonio is an up and comer and TX A&M is planning a campus here. Watch out Austin! I lived in Austin for five years in the 60s and 70s and it was dominated by THE UNIVERSITY. It was my experience that they had a very, very high opinion of their own opinion and anything they didn't know couldn't be knowledge.

The ugly: There is a lot of construction right now on the roads. But they have to do maintance and improvements sometime and mabe that is why we have one up on traffic compared to othe major met. areas.

More ugly: I do not think SA has more crime than comparible cities, but it seems to be reported in a goulish "yellow journalism" way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,030 times
Where are the $1 movies? I have never heard of any before in San Antonio. I haven't heard of any anywhere in several years.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:33 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,673 times
I think the Cinemark off Evers/410 area is a dollar theater.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 AM

810 posts, read 1,425,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I think the Cinemark off Evers/410 area is a dollar theater.
Yeah, and that place looks like a dump. It is not worth a dollar to go. When we went one time, people were talking and babies were crying throughout the movie. Absolutely no respect for others.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Yeah, and that place looks like a dump. It is not worth a dollar to go. When we went one time, people were talking and babies were crying throughout the movie. Absolutely no respect for others.
Jeeeez sorrrryyy you had a bad experience at a DOLLAR THEATER. Next time maybe rent a flick from redbox and make it a Blockbuster night.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:23 PM

122 posts, read 372,612 times
Just hit or run into these idots and morons. That is what Insurance is for. I am getting closer to doing that myself. I drive an '04 Tundra that is paid for and am not afraid of "teaching a lesson" to the "morons" that I see doing stupid moves on our streets. Try me. lets see how the others fair out of a tangle with me an their POS that they are driving like sh** in traffic

Old 08-22-2009, 06:29 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Jeeeez sorrrryyy you had a bad experience at a DOLLAR THEATER. Next time maybe rent a flick from redbox and make it a Blockbuster night.
I have been to a dollar theater up in Plano, Texas and the theater is nice and the people were respectful. I think a lot has to do with the location of the theater but you can count me out for returning to that Cinemark in the future.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:32 PM

122 posts, read 372,612 times
Moderator cut: off topic Just wanting to convey that traffic in SA is getting real bad and I have no problem with honking at you bad drivers out there. If your tailgating, speeding or run a stop sign, obviously driving bad, I will honk at you. I know, in your "dis" or you're physical flip me off or "dis-regard" my honk, hopfully, you will not get a ticket. In my mind, I hope you do get a ticket, if not at the time I see your offense but at a soon after you're next offense at the next stop sign. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Bo; 08-22-2009 at 09:09 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
I have been to a dollar theater up in Plano, Texas and the theater is nice and the people were respectful. I think a lot has to do with the location of the theater but you can count me out for returning to that Cinemark in the future.
San Antonio is too uneducated for a quality dollar theater.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,040 times
Default Somebody Needs a Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
Just hit or run into these idots and morons. That is what Insurance is for. I am getting closer to doing that myself. I drive an '04 Tundra that is paid for and am not afraid of "teaching a lesson" to the "morons" that I see doing stupid moves on our streets. Try me. lets see how the others fair out of a tangle with me an their POS that they are driving like sh** in traffic
Seriously?!? You don't mind paying higher insurance premiums for at-fault accidents so you can satisfy your road-rage ignorance? Or better yet, being canceled and moved into a high-risk insurance pool that will cost you all four limbs. (Hey, that's an idea - gets you off the road.) Oh, and by the way, your insurance policy contains and exclusion for intentional acts; so with the purported "traffic" problem, there's sure to be several witnesses to prevent you from lying your way out of it. Your moronic attitude costs everyone higher insurance premiums. You need a lesson in common sense.

Now that I've vented - thanks to everyone for staying on topic and helping me decide whether or not I want to relocate to San Antonio. I've seen some great comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio