Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 PM

12 posts, read 21,243 times

Advertisements

I have been living in san antonio since 1996. San Antonio is a big difference from my hometown of Los Angeles,Ca. Everything here is far away,major shopping is not a walking distance, city of san antonio takes years to fix a major road. The city shuts down during holidays,a lot of things are hard to find here. I really dont like it here, but I stay for the cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:28 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,705,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthquake213 View Post
I have been living in san antonio since 1996. San Antonio is a big difference from my hometown of Los Angeles,Ca. Everything here is far away,major shopping is not a walking distance, city of san antonio takes years to fix a major road. The city shuts down during holidays,a lot of things are hard to find here. I really dont like it here, but I stay for the cost of living.
Really? Hmmmmm.....very interesting.......

Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 PM

18,045 posts, read 25,094,259 times
I hate the ponds that form on I-35 when it rains.

Today I was driving North on I-35 and between Walzem and 410, right by the exit to get on 410 West,
There was water sitting on the highway about 4-6" deep and it seemed to be that way on at least 2 of the 3 lanes.

Just imagine hitting that on a Geo Metro doing 70MPH

Old 07-26-2010, 11:41 PM

874 posts, read 2,884,404 times
I definitely agree with that! I teach on the Westside and live in Live Oak, so I take 35 a majority of the way home. There are spots like that in several places on 35. I know there were a few times last year when I left school when it was dark - had been raining steadily throughout the early evening or there had been a recent storm - and ran into a few of those spots, including around the Splashtown area. I don't like driving here in the rain when it is light outside, but in an area of 35 that "puddles" (and especially when there isn't much lighting along the road and it is in one of the spots where there are concrete dividers and no breakdown lanes) - definitely not high on my list of enjoyable things.

On the other hand, for some reason I have always liked seeing how quickly the rain fills the ditches up in the neighborhoods that have them.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:18 PM

4,298 posts, read 4,390,759 times
I love that San Antonio is in Texas. I hate the fact that I'm not there.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:27 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 733,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthquake213 View Post
I'm from L.A. too. Isn't L.A. decades behind in building enough highways/freeways to keep up with its population? Besides, even if things are further away here in S.A. (which is really subjective as it would depend on what part of L.A. vs what part of S.A.), I still get places a lot quicker in S.A. than in L.A. due to the horrendous traffic in L.A. Then again maybe the exodus from CA due to its economic collapse has helped its traffic since I gladly left 2 years ago!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,705,511 times
Default ".....it is the middle ground between light and shadow......."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNA View Post
I'm from L.A. too. Isn't L.A. decades behind in building enough highways/freeways to keep up with its population? Besides, even if things are further away here in S.A. (which is really subjective as it would depend on what part of L.A. vs what part of S.A.), I still get places a lot quicker in S.A. than in L.A. due to the horrendous traffic in L.A. Then again maybe the exodus from CA due to its economic collapse has helped its traffic since I gladly left 2 years ago!
Very interesting as well, hmmmmm.....

Gets me to wondering: Maybe so many places {every place?} are decades behind than other places in some ways?

Of course, I suppose aside from subjective things, there are perhaps so many other seemingly-infinite factors and variables {known and possibly unknown} that certainly play into such equations, aye.......

Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 PM

18,045 posts, read 25,094,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNA View Post
Then again maybe the exodus from CA due to its economic collapse has helped its traffic since I gladly left 2 years ago!
I guarantee that if the prices of houses were the other way around (expensive in Texas, cheap in California) there would be zero exodus from California to Texas.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,742,758 times
LA is the perfect case for demonstrating diminishing returns on adding additional freeway lanes. It only works for so long.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:10 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 733,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I guarantee that if the prices of houses were the other way around (expensive in Texas, cheap in California) there would be zero exodus from California to Texas.
If in addition to that, CA was a pro-business, low-tax state with a more down to earth pro-American attitude, then I agree the exodus would be a lot smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio