Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times

Advertisements

Texas high school football big!

I am not a fan of the sport, soccer is way much better imo, but that is one sacred cow you just don't go around messing with in Texas. Shame on you! Shame on you all!!! <s>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 07:07 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post

I am not a fan of the sport, soccer is way much better imo, but that is one sacred cow you just don't go around messing with in Texas. Shame on you! Shame on you all!!! <s>
I know! I shall wear the "cone of shame"!
If you've seen the movie "Up" you'll know this reference to the cone.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
I played ball back in Middle and High school and there's just something addicting about getting the silly knocked out of you on the field. I can't explain it.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:17 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:

That might explain our education level.

Should we hire 16 teachers and pay them $50,000 for 1 year
or should we get red turf on our High School field.
Who cares about education... HS football is better.

BTW,
I'm referring to my post that got lost in the last page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The insane wasteful spending in High School football when there's no enough money for education, and nobody points it out.

Here's one example from New Braunfels.
First High School in the country to install "colored turf", almost $1 million just to make the field look red.

Red-carpet treatment at Canyon High - San Antonio Express-News

Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM

I don't think your post got lost in the last page especially since every post after it has been commenting on it.

You are also preaching to the choir. Notice that <s> means sarcasm. But for real you won't be able to beat the culture on this one.

Also they play soccer in that stadium too.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:47 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
"Y'all" is a perfectly acceptable regional slang and has absolutely nothing to do with one's level of intelligence. Deducting intelligence (or lack thereof) from regional mannerisms will lead to poor conclusions and make that person sound like a bigot.
Point well taken AnthonySA. I'll certainly keep that in mind.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
But for real you won't be able to beat the culture on this one.
So my assumption that HS football has a higher priority than most things educational in schools here (San Antonio area) is correct?
We might as well go ahead and close this thread, because that would explain 95% of the negative things that we mention here.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 PM

On the surface your assumption is well believed by others including myself.

I am sure you also understand that such direct correlations without any other data might lead to incorrect assumptions overall. The schools with the best football teams might not be failing at all so it is not like a certain district is wasting all their money on athletics while their academics suffer. There is also the disproportionate allocation of funding both in economic terms and social equity to consider with social equity being the more important ingredient even if both are necessary.

One has to pass to play. In the end though it does seem like we offer more to athletics than academics.

As far as the 95% of the negative things focused on? Some choose to focus on the negative more than the positive. Support what works and expand it and that can simply mean to focus on it and talk about it too.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:21 PM

My biggest complain....
I don't see enough news like this one in San Antonio

FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) student contest has taken a strong hold in Alamo City

ROBOTS in San Antonio - San Antonio Express-News

Old 01-17-2011, 04:48 PM

There is also BEST.

San Antonio Boosting Engineering Science & Technology (SABEST)

The best type of these contests though have to be MIT's Maslab competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio