Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 02:39 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,197 times

Advertisements

Mmm, travel is almost like a school into itself, we all learn a lot whenever we travel somewhere new, don't we.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 01:20 AM

3 posts, read 4,532 times
You have to remember that San Antonio is a Southern City- mixed with the West. So if you are from NYC or NE you will find that it is slower paced. But that is a good thing, and you will come to appreciate it. The influence of Mexico gives us a politer, warmer, down to earth populace-and family is important, as are friends. People are not as cut-throat as in NYC, or suspicious. Older local drivers drive slow mainly but some young people drive aggresively, and out of state people seem to be still in that competitive driving mode. It is a culture shock to come from hyper cities to a place where people say "excuse me" in the grocery store and let you pass, or gentlemen open the door for you. San Antonians love children in the main and will watch out for little ones around them. We love to have simple family parties with all generations together. SA has a small town feel to it, contrasted with say, Dallas FW which is more urbane and competitive. SA people seem to enjoy life more, and enjoy simple pleasures. While the NW USA seems to be full of people who are exercizing, hiking, mountain climbing to death, and the NE people are trying to beat each other out, San Antonians like to eat, drink, and be merry with their families and friends. You can't go to any event without lots of food about! We take a stab at exercize but it is really too darn hot most of the time! I love the influence of Mexican ways and traditions and the positive influence on the city. I love the western cowboy gentleman courtliness of most Texas men. I love the patriotism of Texans, and the pride in the USA and in Texas. No other state has such a presence of pride in the state as Texas. I love the reverence that is given to The Alamo. I love Bar B Qs. The smell of mesquite and cedar. The color of the water in the rivers. Texas swimming holes. The big sky full of stars. The Texas sunsets. Hokey country dancing, Cotton Eye Joe and Cumbia.The drive out HWY 16 and the drive to Kerrville. Dairy Queen when it's 110 degrees. Bill Miller Ice Tea! Tacos. Visiting the Missions. Fiesta. Shiner Bock. Kids footbal games. The satisfaction of actually surviving a Texas summer!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:31 AM

52 posts, read 104,682 times
That was a nicely put take on this city. I have to admit, it made me stop to think how fortunate I am to be living in such a place. Once the mercury ticks a little bit further south of 100, it will be great to get out and enjoy it even more.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 AM

239 posts, read 442,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbeep View Post
You have to remember that San Antonio is a Southern City- mixed with the West. So if you are from NYC or NE you will find that it is slower paced. But that is a good thing, and you will come to appreciate it. The influence of Mexico gives us a politer, warmer, down to earth populace-and family is important, as are friends. People are not as cut-throat as in NYC, or suspicious. Older local drivers drive slow mainly but some young people drive aggresively, and out of state people seem to be still in that competitive driving mode. It is a culture shock to come from hyper cities to a place where people say "excuse me" in the grocery store and let you pass, or gentlemen open the door for you. San Antonians love children in the main and will watch out for little ones around them. We love to have simple family parties with all generations together. SA has a small town feel to it, contrasted with say, Dallas FW which is more urbane and competitive. SA people seem to enjoy life more, and enjoy simple pleasures. While the NW USA seems to be full of people who are exercizing, hiking, mountain climbing to death, and the NE people are trying to beat each other out, San Antonians like to eat, drink, and be merry with their families and friends. You can't go to any event without lots of food about! We take a stab at exercize but it is really too darn hot most of the time! I love the influence of Mexican ways and traditions and the positive influence on the city. I love the western cowboy gentleman courtliness of most Texas men. I love the patriotism of Texans, and the pride in the USA and in Texas. No other state has such a presence of pride in the state as Texas. I love the reverence that is given to The Alamo. I love Bar B Qs. The smell of mesquite and cedar. The color of the water in the rivers. Texas swimming holes. The big sky full of stars. The Texas sunsets. Hokey country dancing, Cotton Eye Joe and Cumbia.The drive out HWY 16 and the drive to Kerrville. Dairy Queen when it's 110 degrees. Bill Miller Ice Tea! Tacos. Visiting the Missions. Fiesta. Shiner Bock. Kids footbal games. The satisfaction of actually surviving a Texas summer!
Awesome post!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:45 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
Quote:
The influence of Mexico gives us a politer, warmer, down to earth populace-and family is important, as are friends.
What a TOTAL CROCK! The "behind the wheel" culture in San Antonio is MOSTLY either one of total ignorance or complete machismo. And... what grocery store are you shopping at where people are "polite" and move over to let you pass? Lived all over the country and been here 30+ years so I'm not completely off-base here.

"I love the western cowboy gentleman courtliness of most Texas men".

Old 09-03-2011, 09:09 AM

12 posts, read 18,239 times
Quote:
Pretty good, but I have not begun to love it and am glad we are moving. This city is much more Mexican than it is Southern too. It feels fake and has **** poor planning. I like some parts of the city and hate a lot of parts. Just saying, I've been to the real country recently and it feels much better than Hill Country, and the sunsets were much prettier. I'm pretty ungrateful towards this city because mostly people and the planning. They are backstabbing people. They aren't that nice, I mean come on. Some idiot's at school who only talk about sex and call each other gay, you even hear that when you go to the store. I hardly heard that when we traveled. Kerrville is much better than San Antonio so I'd say move there.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:12 AM

46 posts, read 43,877 times
Love the prices. San Antonio is so cheap and inexpensive.

Hate the people, the culture, the small mindedness, the mach puro san antono crap, and the roads. No road in San Antonio is without potholes and litter except for a few in the Stone Oak area.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalberston View Post
Love the prices. San Antonio is so cheap and inexpensive.

Hate the people, the culture, the small mindedness, the mach puro san antono crap, and the roads. No road in San Antonio is without potholes and litter except for a few in the Stone Oak area.
That's what kills me about some people. You love how cheap it is but complain about everything else. What do you expect. By the way I threw my Whataburger bag out the window on Stone Oak Pkwy. Sorry

Old 09-04-2011, 05:37 PM

12 posts, read 18,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
That's what kills me about some people. You love how cheap it is but complain about everything else. What do you expect. By the way I threw my Whataburger bag out the window on Stone Oak Pkwy. Sorry
Charlotte can be cheap. But look at all you get and everything is well put together, not to mention you get greenery and 4 seasons. I would never move somewhere because it is cheap if I don't like it.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:37 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalberston View Post
Hate the people, the culture,
I'm nice. and cute. and cultured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio