Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:21 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,445 times

Advertisements

acer laptop....anyone know a place or someone on the side that can repair?
When I plug in it shows the battery and the plug icon but reads "plugged in, not charging"
When I call Acer they thought it might be the battery then she said it might be the motherboard and wanted $400. Ok, that's the cost of what I paid for the laptop.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 02:31 PM

199 posts, read 663,292 times
I don't know what side of Town you live but I too have an Acer and I took my laptop for repair at this place two weeks ago.
Corporate Technologies, Inc. - Home
7500 Eckhert Rd # 540
San Antonio, TX 78240
(210) 509-700

They had to replace a part because my monitor wasn't displaying anything and it costs 70$ total including labor.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:41 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
acer laptop....anyone know a place or someone on the side that can repair?
When I plug in it shows the battery and the plug icon but reads "plugged in, not charging"
When I call Acer they thought it might be the battery then she said it might be the motherboard and wanted $400. Ok, that's the cost of what I paid for the laptop.

Help!
I had that problem with my old Acer, but I found that if I balanced the cord on my knee and sort of "bent" the cord at the spot that it plugged into, it would charge and I could still use it. I just got into the habit of using it that way, until I finally caved and bought a new Toshiba. Now my son is using it, and it's still going. I only spent $400 on it to begin with, I didn't want to invest any more in it.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:11 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
If you live in the 151/410 area, that litte strip mall that Tiaigos is in has a "laptop" something or other that is REALLY good...worked on DH's system and he is pleased. They were reasonable too. Bought a computer for our son there as well.
Hope this helps!

Old 03-21-2009, 05:01 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
I've used this guy 3 or 4 times, referred a few people to him. Normal charge is less than $75. Fixes it quick, reliable, better than before. Doesn't take you for extra work. 210-330-1429 Laptops are his specialty, I do PC, desktops all the time, and I only trust him with laptops. Work that Best Buy wanted $229, just to diagnose, he charge $50. He's right off lp 410 behind the SAMS across from the INDIAN and Marie Callendars.
He has a small shop, out of his garage, but its trustworthy. And the work, is good. (Normal turn around is 2 or 3 days, unless he has to order parts) He does replace --resolder all internal parts. Professionally. He used to be an IT guy for USAA.

SYSTEMSRESTORED

Last edited by sinsativ; 03-21-2009 at 05:09 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 05:06 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
I think it is important to use someone that you KNOW does a good job...my friend took her computer to someone who took FOREVER and then it did not have everything loaded on it she paid to have done....word of mouth is a good way to go since EVERYONE (except ME) thinks they are a computer expert these days! I am soooo messed up when anything goes wrong! DH had to leave written instructions just in case the power sent off and I had to restart! LOL

Old 03-21-2009, 08:35 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
if you have an extra battery, test that route first. My current battery lasts about 2-3 minutes before it dies and it is about four years old. and thanks for unintentionally reminding me to put my other battery in this laptop

Old 03-21-2009, 10:31 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
if you have an extra battery, test that route first. My current battery lasts about 2-3 minutes before it dies and it is about four years old. and thanks for unintentionally reminding me to put my other battery in this laptop
My Dell is doing the same thing. I'm just too cheap to buy a new battery. It's on it's second one, but I hammer that laptop pretty well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
If you live in the 151/410 area, that litte strip mall that Tiaigos is in has a "laptop" something or other that is REALLY good...worked on DH's system and he is pleased. They were reasonable too. Bought a computer for our son there as well.
Hope this helps!
I believe that shop is owned by BJ Associates, if it is, I can vouch that they are a great company and do awesome work!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:48 PM

10 posts, read 59,515 times
Default Test out Battery at BatteriesPlus on Bandera or wherever is closer

That's probably it. You might just need a new one. When you do get a new one, make sure you don't leave it on a sofa or bed, where the airvent won't be able to let out system heat evenly - this is one major factor for overheating; thus, causing a new battery to go bad really quick.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,445 times
thanks for all the recs. I've tried wiggling that cord to no avail so that doesn't seem to be it. I'm thinking too it might be related to the airvent and possibly needing a new battery. Right now it shows I'm plugged in but the battery I know won't last long. For the most part I'm doing everything on my blackberry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio