Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:30 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post
Right it should be a starting point not your primary source of income. Because someone chose to not do anything more with their life should not be my problem nor should we have to support them.
And hopefully in the current economic climate, you won't lose your job or find difficulty finding another.

But it happens.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:37 PM

546 posts, read 1,500,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
And hopefully in the current economic climate, you won't lose your job or find difficulty finding another.

But it happens.
I work in the insurance business. I also made sure the career i chose would always be in need. I also maintain my education to ensure i am very marketable.

Having a military background and experience goes a long way.

God forbid if I did lose my job I can always go back to the military, and thankfully my husband and I have been saving like crazy. We dont live beyond our means.

Im sure sh*t happens but being prepared for it can have a huge impact.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:52 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Errrr....wasn't this thread about some public housing?

Old 07-24-2009, 07:42 PM

546 posts, read 1,500,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Errrr....wasn't this thread about some public housing?
took a totally different turn.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:25 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
I was unaware one need a college degree for that.
Just because a job is "blue collar" doesn't mean that an education isn't beneficial or sometimes necessary. A mechanic with an ASE certification is going to earn more than your run-of-the mill "shade tree" one. The same goes with construction and other manual labor jobs. People tend to look down on these individuals as being "uneducated" when that's not entirely true.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:12 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Heck, I think master plumbers and electricians make more than a general surgeon these days when you take the malpractice insurance into account...

Old 07-26-2009, 03:20 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
I was unaware one need a college degree for that.
A person with a 4 year degree is certainly not precluded from working as a mechanic or on another other "blue collar" job.

This is a great podcast I had posted last year in which the speaker proposes funneling SA teens from high school straight to trade school...

2007 Food for Thought Lecture Series

To make a reference to another thread, I know a retired plumber whose experience both as a plumber and in business school aided him in being quite the contractor. Enough so to be retired and live in a nice area of town.

To become a mechanic; aircraft, vehicle or otherwise; I would certainly assume that some sort of technical school is available.

I would also hope that a person could receive a scholarship to attend either a technical school or a more traditional 4 year college; depending on their desire and/or calling.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
A person with a 4 year degree is certainly not precluded from working as a mechanic or on another other "blue collar" job.

This is a great podcast I had posted last year in which the speaker proposes funneling SA teens from high school straight to trade school...

2007 Food for Thought Lecture Series

To make a reference to another thread, I know a retired plumber whose experience both as a plumber and in business school aided him in being quite the contractor. Enough so to be retired and live in a nice area of town.

To become a mechanic; aircraft, vehicle or otherwise; I would certainly assume that some sort of technical school is available.

I would also hope that a person could receive a scholarship to attend either a technical school or a more traditional 4 year college; depending on their desire and/or calling.
I have a friend who has a BA and is a mechanic. He always worked on cars, and after college it was a good job to continue. He makes more at that than many other white collar jobs and he likes it. It also allows his Ivy-league professor wife some flexibility to do her work. He probably makes the same $ she does.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:06 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
How would him being a mechanic allow his "Ivy-league professor wife" the flexibility to do her job any more or less than a 9-5 desk job? I'm seriously asking here....I don't know what I'm missing.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
How would him being a mechanic allow his "Ivy-league professor wife" the flexibility to do her job any more or less than a 9-5 desk job? I'm seriously asking here....I don't know what I'm missing.
To become an Ivy-League professor, she had to be able to move around (grad school, post doc, initial professorships) - i.e. her career had to come first. Being a mechanic, his job has been easily portable. If he had pursued a more intense white-collar career, they may not have had the flexibility to move to attain her current position. He's good, so it hasn't been difficult for him to set up shop in a new city and earn a good living. Mechanics are needed everywhere. His job also doesn't require him to travel, allowing her the flexibility to travel (while he's home for the kids) which is a significant part of her position as well.

Could have worked just as well in any job which was similarly portable, he just happens to be a mechanic. He loves what he does. He says he has a real sense of satisfaction at the end of the day, having fixed something, and often couldn't comprehend our work which sometimes takes years to get a result.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio