Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:07 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Leslie b... stop, you are being too realistic!!! That is not permitted here! Firstclassflyer, depends on what you call "money." If debt is money, then yes there's plenty left!
Everyone that knows me..is aware that I don't believe in debt. So, it's definitely not debt...people have their money on the sidelines. There are a lot of weak hands and scared money...and then there are those that are making money during these times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Everyone that knows me..is aware that I don't believe in debt. So, it's definitely not debt...people have their money on the sidelines. There are a lot of weak hands and scared money...and then there are those that are making money during these times.
FCF...some folks seem to judge the rest of us based on their behavior. Amazing how they can only see the world from their position. We have found that IF you have the ability to pay because you are not drowning in debt there are REAL bargains to be had right now, you just have to be in the position to be able to take advantage of it. Folks this morning PACKED Kohl's because of an "additional 20% off" sale that had a flyer in the paper...but fail to see that the stock market and other investments are in "fire sale" mode and are missing out on "once in a lifetime" opportunities.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:24 PM

I hear you "Paks"...I normally don't like to put too much of my business out there (too many haters)...but let's just say that things are going well. I always remember where I came from though, keeps me grounded.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:42 PM

944 posts, read 3,062,427 times
I am not at all surprised that some people are making money right now. As I've said before, I'm in a position to take advantage of bargains, but to me they are not bargains at this time. I'm squarely in the bear camp, and my homeys have been dead on for the last 16 months

Old 03-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I am not at all surprised that some people are making money right now. As I've said before, I'm in a position to take advantage of bargains, but to me they are not bargains at this time. I'm squarely in the bear camp, and my homeys have been dead on for the last 16 months
Nothing wrong with that..I said earlier that there is scared money and weak hands out there. You're a perfect example. Hope it turns out well for you.
There are many more out there that feel as you do.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:36 AM

Well, these scared hands pulled over two hundred grand out of stocks when the Dow was at 13,200. Seems to have worked so far

Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Well, these scared hands pulled over two hundred grand out of stocks when the Dow was at 13,200. Seems to have worked so far
If you had done your research, you wouldn't have had to pull it all out. There are nice opportunities out there right now that are performing well.
You see, the most efficient way is to make money not only in the bull market, but the bear as well. You're missing a huge opportunity...and you don't see it. To each his own. Good luck. I'm off to San Francisco/Reno for a few days.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:12 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
If you had done your research, you wouldn't have had to pull it all out. There are nice opportunities out there right now that are performing well.
You see, the most efficient way is to make money not only in the bull market, but the bear as well. You're missing a huge opportunity...and you don't see it. To each his own. Good luck. I'm off to San Francisco/Reno for a few days.
Likewise...doing well in this market too with good timing, did our shuffle on 28 Sept 08...did take a little hit as Monday 29 Sept was the first drop, almost 400 points...however, no complaints here! Like you said, there are ways of making money in ANY market, you just have to have the ability to make it happen.

Enjoy your trip, SF is nice this time of year...Reno will probably still have some snow, right??? I have not been up that way in years, but LOVE Emerald beach up there.

Looking forward to my trip to Europe for 2 weeks in May...Tulip Festival here I come!!! Taking serious advantage of these "give them away" fares!

Last edited by Paka; 03-29-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Likewise...doing well in this market too with good timing, did our shuffle on 28 Sept 08...did take a little hit as Monday 29 Sept was the first drop, almost 400 points...however, no complaints here! Like you said, there are ways of making money in ANY market, you just have to have the ability to make it happen.

Enjoy your trip, SF is nice this time of year...Reno will probably still have some snow, right??? I have not been up that way in years, but LOVE Emerald beach up there.

Looking forward to my trip to Europe for 2 weeks in May...Tulip Festival here I come!!! Taking serious advantage of these "give them away" fares!
I feel like I live in SF now!~I noticed that my travel fares have decreased significantly as well. Already have 58 flights so far this year...ughh. There are a few tulip festivals in Europe with the largest one by far being in Holland. You're probably going to that one. You'll love it. May is a good time too. I always have a good time in Amst.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:56 PM

Thanks, but my retirement funds had/have very few investment options, so there was no way to make money with those funds. Besides, as you've probably guessed with my attitudes about SA housing, I am pretty risk averse, so I'm comfortable "losing out" if that's what it all amounts to. In all honesty, if I were to find the perfect place, I would buy it in this market, and accept the downside risks I've written about, but again, I'm not seeing any listings inside 410 that float my boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio