Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 10:54 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Wow! What an @#@##@@!!!
Well, that's a mature way to handle my post

Honestly, I stated my opinion in an adult, thought-out way. I know you're capable of putting together a response that's a little more verbose than 'what a blah, blah, blah,' so why not grace us with it the next time. Thanks.

BN

Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Well, that's a mature way to handle my post

Honestly, I stated my opinion in an adult, thought-out way. I know you're capable of putting together a response that's a little more verbose than 'what a blah, blah, blah,' so why not grace us with it the next time. Thanks.

BN
I said it the correct way, trust me. You usually garner at least "some" amount of respect from me, but not this time.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:59 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
myip, there's a prayer request thread over here that you should post to:
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...worldview.html

Old 10-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I said it the correct way, trust me. You usually garner at least "some" amount of respect from me, but not this time.
Whew... And all this time I worried about how much respect you had for my internet postings on a San Antonio message board.

*wink*

But seriously, life is apples and oranges: I welcome those who disagree with my POV as long as they can support their argument. That's what breeds an interesting, long-run discussion, rather than opening the flood gates for just hurling insults back & forth.

BN

Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 AM

22 posts, read 38,402 times
Thanks for your responses,everyone has their own views. I believe if you have faith, anything is possible. Religious or not. It's how you face it and little pray can't hurt.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:25 AM

22 posts, read 38,402 times
I didn't know bill maher had a show. I used to watch him all the time.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myip1983 View Post
I didn't know bill maher had a show. I used to watch him all the time.
He's got two actually... well, sort of.

Real Time is a weekly round-table on HBO, much like Politically Incorrect, but without the shackles of network suits. It's fantastic.

There's also his newish movie/doc about religion, called 'Religulous.' It's an interesting film, admittedly with a atheist slant, but relatively light in nature and not at all combative along the lines of a Michael Moore flick.

BN

Old 10-04-2009, 12:09 PM

872 posts, read 1,856,160 times
Quote:
I heared the power of pray can help.
So I request prayer for my family.
Keep them safe,strong and healthy.
Help my father recovery from the strokes. Heal his right arm/leg regain normal function to write and walk again. Watch over my disabled mother, while I'm gone caring for dad. Also, find a solution for our finanical problems and family conflicts.
Give us direction, so we can live a peaceful and happy life.
Hear my plea and please help lord.
Thank you and god bless
Melissa Ann Yip
god bless
In Jesus name.
amen
My dad had a major stroke years ago and lost use of his right arm and leg but through determination and prayer he made a full recovery. It took about a year where he progress...once able to hold onto a walker, he managed to drag is right leg and kept progessing to crutches and then to a walking cane. Today, thank God, if you saw him you would have no idea that he ever had a stroke!

I didn't see where you were asking for a windfall of money but rather a solution. That solution may be God pointing you to the right job or to another type of financial decision. Let the power of prayer be lifted up to God. Where two or more are gathered (this case via the internet) there He shall be.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:12 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Quote:
I heared the power of pray can help.
So I request prayer for my family.
Keep them safe,strong and healthy.
Help my father recovery from the strokes. Heal his right arm/leg regain normal function to write and walk again. Watch over my disabled mother, while I'm gone caring for dad. Also, find a solution for our finanical problems and family conflicts.
Give us direction, so we can live a peaceful and happy life.
Hear my plea and please help lord.
Thank you and god bless
Melissa Ann Yip
god bless
In Jesus name.
amen
Melissa Ann, Prayers and healing thoughts headed your way for you and your family. Don't let those that choose not to believe diswade you in your faith. Each of us has the opportunity to believe, many dont. Don't allow yourself for a moment to question your faith based on others beliefs or question the power of prayer. God NEVER turns away from someone willing to seek his help!

Old 10-04-2009, 01:02 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Maybe I'm being a d'bag for saying this, but I'm going to anyway...

It's yet to be proven that the 'power of prayer' does anything more than provide a mental pep-rally for those who buy into it.

If you want direction, YOU have to find it. Life (IMO) is about having the motivation to get the job done, finding success in doing it and having the hope that you can continue doing it year after year.

I'm sorry to hear that your family is having health issues. I wish nothing but better things for them. Recovering from something as serious as a stroke is big stuff. I've had my own family members go through this. You have my sympathy.

A solution to financial problems? Aside from that simply being a life issue, you can't pray for a windfall of magical money to fall from the sky. If you want to earn more, you're going to have to work more. That's the bottom line.

I don't say any of this in a mean-spirited way, but simply as an opinion from someone who's sick and tired of seeing people get backed into a corner (usually of their own creation) and fallback of 'the power of god, prayer, etc' as the crutch. If you spent less time wondering when god was going to give you your very own spiritual bail-out and more time figuring out a REALITY-BASED solution, you might already be moving forward.

Perhaps I'm too much of a realist for this thread, but it caught me off-guard and I felt the need to post. This is what happens when you watch Bill Maher's 'Religilious' the night before. Eek.

BN
Yeah, the only factual part of that post was the first sentence.

You obviously have no faith, but realize that there are millions that truly realize the power of prayer, and have experienced it personally.

Someone posted asking for prayer and you used it as a pulpit for nothing more than spouting rhetoric. Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 10-04-2009 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio