Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 02:12 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times

Advertisements

I just got on a roll with emailing all of my state and federal senators and representatives. I didn't know my state representative (Mike Villarreal) was so cute.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:52 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
I've talked a lot of times about salsa music in the forum and I wanted to share a few of my favorite videos with you guys.
Since salsa music seems to be almost impossible to find in San Antonio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4EigYsTvdo

Old school salsa
At min. 2:40 the "cowbell" begins to sound, and you can see how important the cowbell sound is for salsa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfB8Bc0BGJ8

Last edited by Dopo; 12-11-2010 at 06:06 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie;16901250[U
][/u]For the record and since this issue has come up a couple of times recently, there are 3 hot-button subjects which City-Data administration has declared off limits for every local forum. They are: National Politics, Illegal Immigration and Religion.
I have my finger on those 3 buttons everytime I type in CD

Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,633 times
If your fingers are not on a Hohner then go home!!! q:

Vallenato is one of the few foreign musical styles to have made inroads into Texas and Northern Mexico, within the last quarter of a century, with it also getting its own unique sound here different than its native Colombia. The accordion, which has a long history here, played a great part in that. We love our cumbia and maybe yours too...

Just a cumbia.

A cumbia potpourri (or a mix)

A paseo.

Unfortunately YouTube does not have the better songs from Ronda Colombiana and I did not even look up Mission Colombiana.

I do love the work of Gustavo Dudamel from Venezuela though. The fact that he does not offer any anti-Chavista commentary especially allows me to appreciate him a bit more (~_^)

Old 12-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Unfortunately YouTube does not have the better songs from Ronda Colombiana and I did not even look up Mission Colombiana.

I do love the work of Gustavo Dudamel from Venezuela though. The fact that he does not offer any anti-Chavista commentary especially allows me to appreciate him a bit more (~_^)
About Gustavo Dudamel, a relative was telling me that (and also from what I was reading) that he's part of an organization that takes kids from the street, help them and teach to learn about music.... FYI, I read that that was founded back in 1975.

Growing up in Venezuela... I pretty much consider Colombian my 2nd country (together with the US).
About 10% of the population is from Colombia, so you find them over there just like you find mexicans in the US.
There's a lot of songs from both Venezuela and Colombia praising each other, and that talk about how they should be one country. There's even a music style called "Llanera" that is "binational" (belongs to both countries).
This song was popular when I was a kid. It talks about a trip that he took through Venezuela. Sadly, the singer was killed a few years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qef3npOShzg

Here's the hottest Vallenato song lately in Colombia (Have you heard it?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGBDmxLJlL4

Last edited by Dopo; 12-12-2010 at 07:01 PM..

Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 PM

Merovee,
it's funny that you show "Aniceto Molina" I've heard his music, but I didn't know who it was.

I was thinking a while ago "There's cumbia song on the radio called 'Cumbia Chilanguera' that everytime I hear it, it makes me think I'm listening to Colombian music"

Guess who's song it is? No wonder it sounds Colombian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq27jcMR9WM

Sorry for posting so much.... I bet this is one of the best songs from Colombia ... ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czHAzh5xbk

Last edited by Dopo; 12-12-2010 at 07:19 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
About Gustavo Dudamel, a relative was telling me that (and also from what I was reading) that he's part of an organization that takes kids from the street, help them and teach to learn about music.... FYI, I read that that was founded back in 1975.
I was just reading about this. El Sistema, which has flourished under both conservative presidents and Chavez alike.

I caught one of these performances on Ovation TV a while back. Forget which one exactly. They are all the same composition but with different symphonies. Dudamel is awesome, just so much energy, wow!!!

Quote:
There's a lot of songs from both Venezuela and Colombia praising each other, and that talk about how they should be one country. There's even a music style called "Llanera" that is "binational" (belongs to both countries).
Well maybe they will become one, not just with each other, but their with their neighbors, if UNASUR ever grows stronger. I believe it will. The two themselves do have a shared history. Bolivar of course was involved with the liberation of both, I add more for the benefit of others since you know the glorious history of your country better than I.

I have also read briefly about llaneros before, since they have much in common with the Mexican vaquero, who taught the American cowboy how to be a cowboy. It was the Mexican cowboys who did the first cattle drives, taking cattle up to 'Kiansis'.

I did not know the llaneros had a musical heritage though. Any recommendations?

I also liked the four songs you posted. For some reason the first one would just make an ugly computer sound on my phone but plays fine on my PC. I liked the last one the best. The music itself is very sentimental.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:44 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I got a response from one of the U.S. Senators today and the person completely avoided answering my question.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:28 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,422,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Welcome back stranger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Welcome back. Did you miss us?

Thanks ladies! And of course I did.

Work/businesses/kids have taken a lot out of me lately, just don't have the time to keep up. I'm on FB constantly tho, so if you're on there friend me!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:27 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,530 times
Quote:
I have my finger on those 3 buttons everytime I type in CD
And not just you, I have noticed.....heh.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio