U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,775 posts, read 57,852,434 times
Reputation: 166076

Advertisements

I agree GY. I think neon is making a big comeback!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2010, 03:59 PM
 
262 posts, read 821,029 times
Reputation: 174
If you like old San Antonio neons the best preserved neon I have seen is the old Pig Stand pig, inside the restaurant on Broadway street.

Here is a picture of the blinking pig and a story that Sonny Melendrez wrote about the Pig Stand.

Sonny Melendrez (http://voices.mysanantonio.com/mt/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=31&tag=Sonny%20Melendrez&l imit=20&IncludeBlogs=31 - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Austin, Tx.
237 posts, read 750,339 times
Reputation: 156
Default Downtown SA Nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
At night downtown would twinkle with all the store signs. Not to mention the noise of crickets in the summer time.
This old postcard of Houston St. at night has fun details like the Hertzberg Clock and Empire Theater sign. The other card shows West Houston looking eastward so the opposite of the card I posted earlier today. Hope nobody minds this plug for my book "San Antonio; Then, Now & Always" but all these postcards are in it for those interested in such things.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-majestic-nite.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-w.-houston-eastward.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 PM
 
262 posts, read 821,029 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
This old postcard of Houston St. at night has fun details like the Hertzberg Clock and Empire Theater sign. The other card shows West Houston looking eastward so the opposite of the card I posted earlier today. Hope nobody minds this plug for my book "San Antonio; Then, Now & Always" but all these postcards are in it for those interested in such things.
Does your book have any pictures of the old Buckhorn Saloon at the corner of Houston & Flores, pics of the Coney Island? Pics of St. Mary's Churrch, School. School of Law?

Great pics of Houston street. I am trying to figure out where John Hardy Shoes used to be. Most of their shoes in 1966 sold for one price, $4.40. Even the Beatle boots!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 PM
 
262 posts, read 821,029 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
This old postcard of Houston St. at night has fun details like the Hertzberg Clock and Empire Theater sign. The other card shows West Houston looking eastward so the opposite of the card I posted earlier today. Hope nobody minds this plug for my book "San Antonio; Then, Now & Always" but all these postcards are in it for those interested in such things.
The night time picture was shot during Rodeo Week. You can see the rodeo banners hanging atop the street.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Austin, Tx.
237 posts, read 750,339 times
Reputation: 156
Default more downtown cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
Does your book have any pictures of the old Buckhorn Saloon at the corner of Houston & Flores, pics of the Coney Island? Pics of St. Mary's Churrch, School. School of Law?
The first San Antonio book by Schiffer has Buckhorn cards so I did not add any to mine and couldn't find any cards of the other places you asked about. Some places just never made it onto postcards as far as I can tell thus far but I'm still looking. My book contains 350 San Antonio images which was the max allowed by the publisher while I had nearly 500 available and there are lots more out there. Here are a couple more of E. Houston while for unknown reasons Commerce St. was not put on cards except for some very early ones. The third card is the only E. Commerce card I have. So few people present suggests a Sunday shot when the stores were closed. Enjoy!

ps for Nix54; Seen in the earlier sidewalk shot, my grandmother was a nurse at Nix Hospital during the 1940s and early '50s.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-houston-st.-west.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-houston-st.-dusk.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-joskes-schilos.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 08:18 PM
 
262 posts, read 821,029 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
The first San Antonio book by Schiffer has Buckhorn cards so I did not add any to mine and couldn't find any cards of the other places you asked about. Some places just never made it onto postcards as far as I can tell thus far but I'm still looking. My book contains 350 San Antonio images which was the max allowed by the publisher while I had nearly 500 available and there are lots more out there. Here are a couple more of E. Houston while for unknown reasons Commerce St. was not put on cards except for some very early ones. The third card is the only E. Commerce card I have. So few people present suggests a Sunday shot when the stores were closed. Enjoy!

ps for Nix54; Seen in the earlier sidewalk shot, my grandmother was a nurse at Nix Hospital during the 1940s and early '50s.
Great memories of a great downtown.

BudB, maybe your Grandmom helped deliver me. I am a product of the Nix hospital, March 1, 1954. Dr. Potthast was our doctor.

And by fate stayed downtown I would take the bus daily downtown from St. Michaels, then in 65' transferred to St. Mary's School in the heart of downtown. For 8 years 60 to 68 downtown was a daily ritual

My Mom worked as a clerk at the old Rubin's Clothing Outlet later renamed Casa Ernesto at the corner of Houston & Flores. It was one of the original locations of the Buckhorn Saloon. As you walked into the store the octagon tiled floor at the entrance read "The Buckhorn."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
 
Location: North Central S.A.
1,221 posts, read 2,433,453 times
Reputation: 957
Product of the Nix, too. 1973!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
 
262 posts, read 821,029 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Product of the Nix, too. 1973!
We're both made in the heart of Texas!

You can't any closer to the Alamo than the Nix!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 PM
 
Location: North Central S.A.
1,221 posts, read 2,433,453 times
Reputation: 957
I tell visitors I was born on the Riverwalk!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top