Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 10:20 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,527,877 times

Advertisements

Yes Sweetie Pie he was cool --just kinda boring.. When I saw him in the late sixties he was always the first band and we wanted to see what we paid our money for. Honestly , he never gained the kind of acceptance that other blues guys have had. How many of his records do you have? I have one-pretty good actually!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,110,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Has anyone ever eaten at the Hemisfair Tower Restaurant? I took a date there once years ago -like late seventies- and it wasn't bad (I was trying to impress her!) Maybe this sould be a different thread.
LOL!!! Like how far did these dinners get ya!!!

Quote:
Yes Sweetie Pie he was cool --just kinda boring.. When I saw him in the late sixties he was always the first band and we wanted to see what we paid our money for. Honestly , he never gained the kind of acceptance that other blues guys have had. How many of his records do you have? I have one-pretty good actually!
I guess you're right, if he was the opening act back then. I just remember being mesmerized by his look, and his music.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,463,409 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever eaten at the Hemisfair Tower Restaurant? I took a date there once years ago -like late seventies- and it wasn't bad (I was trying to impress her!) Maybe this sould be a different thread.
My wife took me there not long before we got married!! Probably early 75' .
(She was trying to impress me)

Old 04-23-2009, 10:51 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,110,317 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
LOL!!! Like how far did these dinners get ya!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
My wife took me there not long before we got married!! Probably early 75' .
(She was trying to impress me)

ZING!!!..............and we have a winner!!! LOL!!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:02 AM

237 posts, read 847,268 times
"So did you steal her heart????"
Yes indeed, with a little help from the chateau briand as it was a memorable experience from the git go to get gone. BB

Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,527,877 times
[quote=Sweetie Pie;8489180]LOL!!! Like how far did these dinners get ya!!!

I went to Jefferson Highschool and I love those old neighborhoods. I worked out Culebra road but I lived down near Hildebrand and San Pedro. I was going home one day and drove by her house. She was sitting on her front porch so I stopped and asked her for a date. She agreed so I took her to the tower restaurant because I had never been there and I figured she hadn't either. It was fun. I was ok until I looked at the wall and saw it was spinning! Even though it spins really slow when your next to it --it seem's fast. We are friends and I have told her about the forty year reunion..It is hard to tell how far dinners get you...I think it is worth it in the long term!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 PM

40 posts, read 125,820 times
Default Hi 940!

My mother was born in 1925 and grew up on the Pepper Ranch on Potranco Road. The ranch was located where John Paul Stevens H. S. is now. If you were going west there was a bump gate on the right that was there for several decades. Her father and two brothers raised Angora goats. She went to Mackey School where her mother taught near the Potranco-Culebra intersection. The school was two rooms and later expanded to three rooms about the time Alamo Downs was built. She remembers horse trainers and new employees enrolling their children. She got her first boyfriend thanks to the track.

She says before she was born there was a rich man who lived near the school. His son took a bride and they went to Europe on the honeymoon. They were returning on the Titanic when it went down. The father instructed the servants to prepare meals, set the table and keep the bedroom ready as if the couple was arriving at any moment but they never did. Supposedly this went on for several years.

My mother went on to Thomas Jefferson H. S. and Abilene Christian. She met and married an Alabama soldier. I was born in 1951, the first of five. We would drive from west-central Alabama to the ranch in the summers and Christmas time. We three boys would leave our sisters at the house and goof around with BB guns and then .22 rifles when we were older. We swam in a concrete tank by the windmill. I killed my first two deer there. We learned what "10, 2 and 4" meant. We had annual bottle rocket wars with our cousins.

Northstar was the first mall we ever saw. We rode by the Bandera Drive-In often. The only movie I can specifically remember on the big sign was "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" with John Wayne and Lee Marvin. One of my aunts did office work for John Wayne in Hondo while "The Alamo" was being made.

My wife and I saw "Race with the Devil" in Meridian, Miss. when it first came out but I had no idea about the SA connection. In the 90's Luby's came to Meridian which may be as far east as they ever came. It only lasted three or four years.

I read some of these posts to my mother on the phone 75 miles away. She said she really enjoyed the shared memories and thinking about things she hadn't thought about in years.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:10 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,299,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGinLA View Post
My mother was born in 1925 and grew up on the Pepper Ranch on Potranco Road. The ranch was located where John Paul Stevens H. S. is now. If you were going west there was a bump gate on the right that was there for several decades. Her father and two brothers raised Angora goats. She went to Mackey School where her mother taught near the Potranco-Culebra intersection. The school was two rooms and later expanded to three rooms about the time Alamo Downs was built. She remembers horse trainers and new employees enrolling their children. She got her first boyfriend thanks to the track.

She says before she was born there was a rich man who lived near the school. His son took a bride and they went to Europe on the honeymoon. They were returning on the Titanic when it went down. The father instructed the servants to prepare meals, set the table and keep the bedroom ready as if the couple was arriving at any moment but they never did. Supposedly this went on for several years.

My mother went on to Thomas Jefferson H. S. and Abilene Christian. She met and married an Alabama soldier. I was born in 1951, the first of five. We would drive from west-central Alabama to the ranch in the summers and Christmas time. We three boys would leave our sisters at the house and goof around with BB guns and then .22 rifles when we were older. We swam in a concrete tank by the windmill. I killed my first two deer there. We learned what "10, 2 and 4" meant. We had annual bottle rocket wars with our cousins.

Northstar was the first mall we ever saw. We rode by the Bandera Drive-In often. The only movie I can specifically remember on the big sign was "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" with John Wayne and Lee Marvin. One of my aunts did office work for John Wayne in Hondo while "The Alamo" was being made.

My wife and I saw "Race with the Devil" in Meridian, Miss. when it first came out but I had no idea about the SA connection. In the 90's Luby's came to Meridian which may be as far east as they ever came. It only lasted three or four years.

I read some of these posts to my mother on the phone 75 miles away. She said she really enjoyed the shared memories and thinking about things she hadn't thought about in years.
Tell your mother thanks from us! It's really great to write down those details for future generations! I used to write my grandmother many times before she passed away. It's a novelette now....a diary of her life and how it was growing up in the country at the turn of the century. Wonderful stories!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:57 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,799,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
"So did you steal her heart????"
Yes indeed, with a little help from the chateau briand as it was a memorable experience from the git go to get gone. BB
BudB:
It's been nice communicating with you. See you at the theatre.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:21 PM

64 posts, read 429,527 times
Does anybody know in what year the bus on San Pedro going downtown had its northernmost stop extended from Basse to Oblate? I just got a 1954 transit map and it shows the bus was already going as far as Oblate.

I started riding that bus when it only came as far north as Basse, but I didn't think I was riding it before 1954. Apparently I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio