Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 07:59 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Yes, I vaguely remember it. It was definitely late 1970s, and I'm pretty sure it was 1979. Tom Huebner was the City Manager then, and he played hardball with the worker's demands. Ended up firing a bunch of them, IIRC. I remember seeing pictures of all the people lined up outside City Hall when they were taking applications to fill the multiple vacated positions.

I think most people just let their garbage pile up at home, and then put it all out when the strike was settled. We had thrice weekly pickup back then, either M-W-F or Tu-Th-Sa. It went to twice weekly either immediately or shortly after the strike.
You are correct...I did a little research..and detemined it was the the summer of 1978 when the garbage collectors had their illegal strike. Tom Huebner fired 300 employees over this. (I guess Reagan followed this a few years later with the Air Traffic Contollers)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 05:38 PM

18 posts, read 57,859 times
JGinLA Your post is very interesting. I knew the Peppers as a boy. My brother used to swim in that same concrete tank with Leslie Pepper. They were about the same age. Leslie later moved to Uvalde. We went to church with the Peppers and they would take us on hay rides to the ranch. My brother and I both went to Abilene Christian. In San Antonio, we went to Brackenridge High School.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:44 PM

Default Hi 940

This is my first post so I'm not sure I am doing it correctly. Your post is very interesting since I knew the Peppers as a small boy. My brother used to go to the ranch with Leslie Pepper and spend a couple of weeks. They swam in the concrete tank you mentioned. I think that Leslie later bought a ranch in Uvalde and moved there. My brother and I both went to Abilene Christian. We knew the Peppers in church and they would cover the bed of a truck with hay and take us for hay rides to the ranch. Good memories.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default I remember that Rodman,

Henry B. pnching that guy at Earl Abels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I don't remember the garbage strike, but I remember when Henry B. Gonzalez punched the guy at Earl Abels. Does anyone remember that?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 AM

Default Ken Southeast

The Sinclair station on that corner was Bremers (sp). They would check your oil and tires, sweep out the floorboard, fill you up with gas from the gravity flow pumps, and then go in and put it on your bill. My mother, who worked at USAA, traded with them for as long as she lived in that neighborhood. USAA was located on Grayson Street across from the Quadrangle at Ft. Sam at the time. At Coach Dugger's program at the beginning of school, I got a "Big Peppermint Stick" for being the youngest student (10). I attended Poe for one year, about 1944, before transfering to Page. Do you remember Peck Ave.? I grew up in the 900 block. The entire street was taken for the route of Interstate 10. I had left home for college at the time. Lots of memories in Highland Park and Denver Heights. For several years I worked at Steubing's Grocery on Porter. It was a good neighborhood to grow up in.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 AM

Default Humble

You mentioned Highland Park Elementary. I attended there during WWII.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Default barbers, cleaners and newspaper boys

You have really brought back old memories. We used to get our papers on New Braunfels and Drexel in front of Seibert's Drug Store. There was Seibert's, Mrs. Johnson's Baker, Winns, the feed store and a barber shop. Seiberts later moved. I threw the Express and would be on the corner at 3 or 4 in the morning. Mrs. Johnson's Bakery would be dark in the front but you could see men working in the back. The front door was always unlocked and we could go in and buy fresh bread and cinnamon rolls. We would eat the center out of the bread. You sure couldn't leave the front door unlocked now. My route was Peck, Drexel and Hammond between New Braunfels and the city limits. We would block the smaller papers during the week, and roll the Sunday paper. You could sail the blocked paper right up to, or on the front porch. One time I was going down Hammond early in the morning, threw the paper on the front porch and hit a bunch of milk bottles. It woke up the whole neighborhood.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Yeah I just don't remember exactly why he punched the fellow.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
He called Henry B. A communist!

Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Yeah I just don't remember exactly why he punched the fellow.
Henry B was leaving Earl Abel's, along with some other individuals that were dining with him. Henry walked by a table on his way out where another diner and his companion recognized the congressman, and made a comment to his companion about Gonzales being a "communist", in his opinion.

When they got out to the parking lot, one of the members of Gonzales' party asked him if he heard the derogatory comment the other diner in the restaurant made of him when he walked by his table. Gonzales didn't hear it, but asked his companion to walk him back inside the restaurant and point out who called him that.

Gonzales confronted the man, and asked if he referred to him (Gonzales) as a communist. The man said yes, he did. Gonzales then punched the man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio