Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 01:16 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperez41 View Post
How about back in the 70's Dr. Demento, I believe this was on radio station KEXL.
I remember Dr. Demento. He's still around, too and has a web site. Just have to google him to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,475 times
Default Looking for help identifying these people/this place

Do any of these people look familiar to anyone? Does this place look familiar? It was taken in 1955 in San Antonio. It was processed at Studer's. I'm trying to find as much info about these photos as I can. Thank you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	-1.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	82841

Name:	-2.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	82842

Name:	-3.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	82843

Name:	-4.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	82844

Old 07-31-2011, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 9,651 times
I can tell you everything about it. I thought it up, designed it, and built it in 1975. It was WAY ahead of it's time for San Antonio. Today, it would be a gem. One of the main features was the Magnolia Oyster Bake, which was a very rick dish created by a wonderful Chef. Both myself and the Chef were in their early 20's when this was built.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:16 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960galaxy View Post
I can tell you everything about it. I thought it up, designed it, and built it in 1975. It was WAY ahead of it's time for San Antonio. Today, it would be a gem. One of the main features was the Magnolia Oyster Bake, which was a very rick dish created by a wonderful Chef. Both myself and the Chef were in their early 20's when this was built.
What's this referring to?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times
I think he might be referring to this ad I posted a few months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I was trying to find something on "Oyster Bake" in the newspaper archives when I stumbled on this place called Magnolia Sugar Plantation. This was from 1975, but I don't remember anything about this place. Anybody know anything about it?
If so, 1960galaxy, what else can you tell us about this place? What was the menu like? Who were the owners and how long was it open? What happened to it?

(I know, I know, I ask a lot of questions! Sorry!!!)

Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninSAstuckinGA View Post
speakin of Austin Hwy. spots, and please forgive me if memory is a little rusty:

1) the old Shakey's building was later a nightclub in the mid to late 80's, called " The Knave" I think. Not sure if it survives today

2) Used to go to the Elbow Room in the 80's and early 90's for some pretty cool local acts. Is it still there?

3) What was the name of the "biker bar" across, and just up the street from Ramada, same block as Terrel Plaza (I think). I remember stone wall street side. Played a few gigs there with one of my old bands in the late 80's.

4) I thought that at one time, the old "Pegasus" horse was being restored, and re-set at that station @ Broadway and Austin Hwy.?
The Elbow Room burned to the ground about 2007. Just the concrete slab is left. I thought the horseshoe shaped bar was cool as well as the lighting. Maxine, one of the bartenders, make the be best cheeseburger on Austin Highway.
As for the biker bar, you are probably thinking of "Sturgis". It used to be called the Rustic Lounge. I think the building is now a used tire shop. How times have changed.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:16 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
Elbow Room changed hands right before the fire. Seems like a disgruntled and evicted patron got mad and torched it after hours. One of the risks of owning bars.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:04 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,182 times
Reading a post on whether Dan Cook was still alive, I also thought of another great Evening News columnist, Paul Thompson. Boy, he could dig up the dirt on people. Local politicians and celebrities feared him. He used to come watch movies at the North Star Cinema when I was a teenage usher there in the late 60s and early 70s. He was very charming, and always bought the same concession items every time he came to the show. He remembered us by name, and always wanted to be introduced to new employees.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 9,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I think he might be referring to this ad I posted a few months ago.

If so, 1960galaxy, what else can you tell us about this place? What was the menu like? Who were the owners and how long was it open? What happened to it?

(I know, I know, I ask a lot of questions! Sorry!!!)
It was a stone 3 story mansion with nearly 14,000 square feet of space, fully restored to rival any of the old Louisiana Plantation homes. It seated 150 guests, and was on 6 manicured acres, hosting parties and weddings. The menu was right out of New Orleans, inspired by a wonderful Las Vegas chef that was imported to San Antonio. If anybody has any menus or other paranaphalia please advise. All the waiters and waitresses were dressed in proper hand-made attire of the Plantation period. It was indeed, one of a kind. We had every dignatary from the Mayor to the Governor of Texas who dined with us.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:23 PM

88 posts, read 286,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
Anyone remember 12 star final news with Tom Ellis? Used to watch it on black and white tv.
Yep, sure do! Tom and his family were family friends and he would occasionally invite us and others to his Hollywood Park home for Saturday BBQs. (His son, Tommy, and I were about the same age.) I vividly remember how after an afternoon and evening of hearty partying and cooking, Tom would dash off in in his play clothes (incl. shorts and flip flops) to do his anchor gig. A while later, in front of the TV, we always got a kick out of watching him deliver the news - looking and sounding professional and polished as ever, but knowing that below the desktop he was still in his shorts and flip flops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio