Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 05:44 PM

88 posts, read 286,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
The Elbow Room burned to the ground about 2007. Just the concrete slab is left. I thought the horseshoe shaped bar was cool as well as the lighting. Maxine, one of the bartenders, make the be best cheeseburger on Austin Highway.
Anyone remember the original Elbow Room, located at the intersection of Klaus and Corinne Rds.? This was before the bridge was constructed over Salado Creek connecting Klaus and Eisenhauer Rds. and the two becoming Eisenhauer. I grew up in and around ALL the nightclubs and beer joints on the northeast side during the 60's and recall original owners, Jess and Nora, as being quite friendly hosts of their modest establishment. They, too, also served up excellent burgers and chili on weekends that I still remember to this day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,717 times
I worked at the Inforno as Drummer and MC in 1967 for about 3 months. Tommey also owned the Steepole chase around the corner and down the street. I was in the Army at the time. Fort sam. What a side job for a GI

Them I got ship to Viet Nam.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,874 times
Default No Malls in San Antonio !

…Anybody remembers when there was no malls in S.A.?

All the stores were downtown. Joske's of Texas, Wolff & Marx,Solo Serve
La Feria…never felt comfortable at Frost Store, Coney Island hot dogs, the
Majestic,Texas, Empire…Alameda, the original farmers market. Woolworth
store back then was more than a tourist shop, clothes and groceries in the
basement floor. I used to work at Joske's & I miss the breakfast at the
cafeteria in the basement. I think Las Palmas was the first of the
malls here, not sure ! I miss the Christmas decorations downtown too !

By the way, when did Seven-Eleven arrive & when did they go ?
Shoppers World,Globe Shopping City, Woolco…anybody know more ?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
Wonderland was around by the time I came here--at 2--but I do remember when NorthStar was open between the 2 anchor stores on each end. I think about that sometimes when I, rarely, wander over there and make the trek from Macy's to Dillards. What was on the Macy's end--was it Foleys back in the 70's or Joskes? I know it wasn't Frost because it was down closer to Dillards. I also remember the Joskes downtown--especially at Christmas!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,222 times
I remember a grocery store in North Star Mall. Wasn't it Handy Andy? It kind of catered to the international crowd somewhat, you could hear all kinds of languages being spoken there.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
By the way, when did Seven-Eleven arrive & when did they go ?
Seven-Elevens started popping up in San Antonio around the mid 1970s, I think. They were gone by the late 1980s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
What was on the Macy's end--was it Foleys back in the 70's or Joskes? I know it wasn't Frost because it was down closer to Dillards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I remember a grocery store in North Star Mall. Wasn't it Handy Andy? It kind of catered to the international crowd somewhat, you could hear all kinds of languages being spoken there.
North Star Mall originally had an HEB on the west end where Macy's is. Central Park Mall had a Handy-Andy.

Joske's was a late-1960s addition to North Star, in the building now occupied by Dillard's.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
As I remember correctly, the first mall was McCreless Mall but not the one at Dauchey Rd(now Southcross) and New Braunsfels. This one was really a normal store front strip mall as we refer to them today but it had the name Mall on the front. It was located at New Braunsfels and Fair. If you remember where the Toy Box was, it was actually in the "mall". I'm not sure which was first as an enclosed structure. Either Las Palmas or McCreless would have been the first. As a kid I would walk to McCreless almost every day during the summer. I'd also make the Record Rendezvous which was a small hole in the wall record shop. I still have some of the KONO top 40 lists that I got there. I was over around the old McCreless mall area and I really miss the place. Too many memories gone in the dust. I guess that's my reward for getting old.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 PM

Default North Star Mall

Before Macys, there was Foleys, before , on that location was a pharmacy
with a soda fountain. Not sure if it was Walgreens or Sommers Drug store.
Nearby was a small grocery store,I believe it was H.E.B. Not 100% sure !
I do know that across North Star on San Pedro st. ( before Loop 410 was built)
There was a Handy-Andy store located in upper section of Central Park Mall.
In the lower level was a real nice Merry-Go-Round to ride !
Where Dillards is located now, that used to be Joskes North store, I worked
in the Books & Camera dept. The area manager was Mr. A.B. Jones who also
was in charge of Mens suits. Ms. Doris Vauter was my supervisor.

One Christmas time, I saw Darren McGavin shopping there, he was the father
in the movie," A Christmas Story".
My first job was downtown Joskes. Some might recall an actor from Mexico,
he was known as "Piporro"( Mr. Gonzalez)…anyway I use to see him shopping
there several times, too.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:25 AM

Default No Malls in San Antonio !

Check out the movie "Viva Max" (1969).

If only to see downtown San Antonio in the background as it was before.
Never realized how much has changed.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Remember paying a deposit on the glass bottles? As kids, my brother and I used to pick up glass bottles and turn them in for some extra change. That was REAL recycling, wasn't it?
Empty glass bottles were like gold to a six year old. Every Friday, my family would do the grocery shopping at the the Food City on Eisenhauer Rd. I would take my empty bottles to the courtesy booth to get get my change. Then my father and I would walk next door to Gibson's where I would buy the latest Matchbox Car. Most soda bottles are now plastic and the Food City and Gibson's are now a flea market. Gone but not forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio