Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 11:51 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember the exact address of christies on broadway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 10:09 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger929 View Post
I was thinking about some of the locations that have been mentioned. I remember my father taking be out Goliad Road, past SE Military Dr. to teach me to drive. I learned to drive in a 1969 Ford Fairlane, 3 speed on the column. That was the first car my father ever bought new. Cost him $3900 or so. There was nothing out there at all. Woods on both sides. Then in the early 80's Tex-Pack Trucking Company was the first to set up out there. The area has expanded and changed so much, that you wouldn't recognize the area if you haven't been out there in a while. I want to thank all of the posters on this forum for all the great information you've shared.
Remember a place out that way called the Log Cabin? I never went in there. I heard it was a pretty rough crowd. I don't know if it was a resturant or a bar or both. It was a log cabin though.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:42 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Anyone remember the exact address of christies on broadway?
I looked this up but the image quality was poor. Hopefully someone can verify it. An ad in 1973 appeared to read "3101" Broadway. (This was a want ad for wait staff and very tiny.)

I had no idea how old Christie's Seafood Restaurant was. I found a LOT of references to a "Laguna Seafood Restaurant" at 3114 Fredericksburg Rd, owned by Jimmy Lampis of "Christie's". That restaurant opened about 1949 and Christies apparently had long been established. He advertised quite a bit for the "Laguna" but no ads for Christie's.

UPDATE: Looks like the address was 3130 Broadway

Last edited by wCat; 07-24-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 AM

Interesting tragic history related to Christie's restaurant owner in 1947.

While searching for the address for Christie's, I ran across the name of Jimmy Lampis's brother in law, Gus Sarris. They were joint partners in their restaurant business. Mr and Mrs Gus Sarris were very active in the local community and live on E Kings Highway. On Nov 14 1947, their three children were home in the everning with the housekeeper. Their eldest son named Christie (age 14 at the time), found a gun in a closet. He didn't know it was loaded and accidentally shot his younger brother and sister. Both children were taken to Santa Rosa and were in serious condition.

I have yet to find out if they survived. What a tragedy behind the name of such a successful restaurant. If I find anything about the children, I'll post it.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,231,796 times
Christie's was at 3130 Broadway.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:08 AM

Interesting tragic history related to Christie's restaurant owner in 1947.

While searching for the address for Christie's, I ran across the name of Jimmy Lampis's brother in law, Gus Sarris. They were joint partners in their restaurant business. Mr and Mrs Gus Sarris were very active in the local community and live on E Kings Highway. On Nov 14 1947, their three children were home in the everning with the housekeeper. Their eldest son named Christie (age 14 at the time), found a gun in a closet. He didn't know it was loaded and accidentally shot his younger brother and sister. Both children were taken to Santa Rosa and were in serious condition.

I have yet to find out if they survived. What a tragedy behind the name of such a successful restaurant. If I find anything about the children, I'll post it.

Good news....both children survived the accident!

Last edited by wCat; 07-24-2009 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-25-2009, 09:21 PM

136 posts, read 331,842 times
["The special appearance by Janice Joplin is now up in the air. Britney Spears was not able to be reached for our last meeting so we are moving her up to this one. Comments from our membership are solicited, whether to schedule Britney Spears or Janice Joplin."[/quote]

Can't be real. Joplin died in 1970, Spears wasn't born until 1981.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
["The special appearance by Janice Joplin is now up in the air. Britney Spears was not able to be reached for our last meeting so we are moving her up to this one. Comments from our membership are solicited, whether to schedule Britney Spears or Janice Joplin."
Quote:
Can't be real. Joplin died in 1970, Spears wasn't born until 1981.
[/quote]
They actually did a very good job on this web site. A quick skim seems to have a lot of info and traditions that are based on fact. A second and deeper look sort of lends to a Monty Python sense of humor. From what I understand, it is an old organization, but it just isn't clear to how old. I had to check back several times to read between the lines and it got funnier everytime!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,027 times
I just got back last year after having been gone 33 years (Lee HS '71; Texas A&M '75, then USMC). The city has changed a bit - there was a place on McCullough, I think, call Li'l Hipps - old gas station converted to restaurant/beer joint - is it still around?

Old 07-27-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmajor View Post
I just got back last year after having been gone 33 years (Lee HS '71; Texas A&M '75, then USMC). The city has changed a bit - there was a place on McCullough, I think, call Li'l Hipps - old gas station converted to restaurant/beer joint - is it still around?

No...sadly Big and Little Hipps are both closed. I remember the day they closed, people were lining up at dawn to be one of the last diners to get their famous burgers. There was a rumor that family had opened a burger place up 281 near Bulverde, but I'm not sure if that ever happened.

Here's a link to the story about them closing in 2002 ----> Bubble to burst for famous tourism landmark in city - San Antonio Business Journal:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio