U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 03:38 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,207,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Interesting question. I bet the staff architect at the Conservation Society could help you. Or maybe Frank in the Texana Department of the downtown library branch.
Thanks for the help. I was looking at the old pictures in "San Antonio Remembers" and it looks like the city was wired DC in or around 1900. The reason why I think this is because I don't see any transformers on the poles. I think street cars required DC power too. Maybe thats why they disappeared. The pictures taken around 1920 do show transformers on the poles (at least it looks like that to me). I am just curious about this, I'm not writing a book or anything!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM

2,953 posts, read 4,652,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Thanks for the help. I was looking at the old pictures in "San Antonio Remembers" and it looks like the city was wired DC in or around 1900. The reason why I think this is because I don't see any transformers on the poles. I think street cars required DC power too. Maybe thats why they disappeared. The pictures taken around 1920 do show transformers on the poles (at least it looks like that to me). I am just curious about this, I'm not writing a book or anything!
You are probably right. Per Wikipedia, the first commercial AC power plant wasn't built until 1893. I doubt the technology would get to San Antonio within 7 years at that periods' technological pace.

Alternating current - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 PM

114,775 posts, read 57,884,158 times
Westinghouse's A/C beat out Edison's D/C for commercial distribution. Transformers could have been at the stations or sub-stations.

Building San Antonio: S.A. should re-couple its mass transit system (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/real_estate/aia/Building_San_Antonio_1221.html - broken link)

200 US 304 San Antonio Traction Company v. George a Altgelt | Open Jurist

Likely contributors to Altgelt and Ogden streets names!! I did read about 60 HP D/C motors used in some of the systems. Edison supplied power in suit...was he still using or providing D/C??

Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 PM

The Photo that I find Interesting at "San Antonio Remembers" is photo number 30. I think they are power lines but they could be telephone lines. What ever they are..nobody does that anymore!

Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM

136 posts, read 286,997 times
Quote:

Hre's some San Antonio Transportation History.

1878, June 22, the first mule drawn street car begins service. It went from San Pedro Springs to Alamo Plaza.

1890 Electric streetcar lines proliferated, each run by a different company using different colors. A temporary electric streetcar was set up to deliver visitors to the "International Fair," south of the city center at Riverside Park. One the fairs features was a 'Southern Pacific" day.

(Some of the companies are affiliated with the San Antonio Edison Co., so I'd infer they were DC powered.)

1891 Four different street car companies are operating in San Antonio; The Belknap, the McCrillis, the West End and the Alamo Heights.

1899 Houston Street takes over from Commerce as the city's main commercial and shopping street, in part because vendors on the already too narrow Commerce persuade city leaders to place the tracks on the next street up, which is wider and less cluttered with hitching posts, etc.

1901 All street car companies are consolidated into one, the San Antonio Traction Company.

1905 Horse, electric, gasoline and steam powered vehicles compete to make their way on San Antonio Streets. Motorized vehicles take part in Fiesta parades.

1917 The San Antonio Traction Company and the San Antonio Gas & Electric Company are consolidated into the San Antonio Public Service Company. The new company builds the city's first motorized bus to serve Fort Sam Houston.

1923 First "store bought" bus arrives in San Antonio.

1933 The electric street railway system is abandoned, the first large city to do so. They are replaced by motorized buses.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:20 PM

86 posts, read 161,702 times
Wow, I just discovered this thread - I love it! It is so informative and fun to read. I lived in San Antonio the first time 1989-1994 and in 2002 we decided to retire here because it always felt like "home". I just love hearing all this wonderful history. Maybe someone should consolidate some of this information . I like that you include day to day memories, movies, restaurants and all those fun things that you can't get from a library book! Thank you all for creating a fun and interesting forum....

Old 09-26-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Hre's some San Antonio Transportation History.

1878, June 22, the first mule drawn street car begins service. It went from San Pedro Springs to Alamo Plaza.

1890 Electric streetcar lines proliferated, each run by a different company using different colors. A temporary electric streetcar was set up to deliver visitors to the "International Fair," south of the city center at Riverside Park. One the fairs features was a 'Southern Pacific" day.

(Some of the companies are affiliated with the San Antonio Edison Co., so I'd infer they were DC powered.)

1891 Four different street car companies are operating in San Antonio; The Belknap, the McCrillis, the West End and the Alamo Heights.

1899 Houston Street takes over from Commerce as the city's main commercial and shopping street, in part because vendors on the already too narrow Commerce persuade city leaders to place the tracks on the next street up, which is wider and less cluttered with hitching posts, etc.

1901 All street car companies are consolidated into one, the San Antonio Traction Company.

1905 Horse, electric, gasoline and steam powered vehicles compete to make their way on San Antonio Streets. Motorized vehicles take part in Fiesta parades.

1917 The San Antonio Traction Company and the San Antonio Gas & Electric Company are consolidated into the San Antonio Public Service Company. The new company builds the city's first motorized bus to serve Fort Sam Houston.

1923 First "store bought" bus arrives in San Antonio.

1933 The electric street railway system is abandoned, the first large city to do so. They are replaced by motorized buses.
Thank you for this information. It is clear to me now that the city of San Antonio (and eventually every other city) had to abandon 19th century technology in favor of more modern transit sysems. A sound decision at the time.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:04 PM

136 posts, read 286,997 times
Quote:
Thank you for this information. It is clear to me now that the city of San Antonio (and eventually every other city) had to abandon 19th century technology in favor of more modern transit sysems. A sound decision at the time.
No problem. The information is from the Texas Transportation Museum's web site at TTM site. It's at 11731 Wetmore Rd. in San Antonio. Has all kinds of nifty transport related information.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 AM

172 posts, read 430,520 times
I remember the Gunslingers vividly since it was my first time watching professional level football. My dad got free season tickets from Clinton Manges when my dad worked downtown. My favorite memory was watching Hall of Famer Doug Williams throw touchdown passes at Alamo Statdium.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,352,576 times
Default Lucas Pizza Windsor Park Mall

I know there are many long lost Luca's Pizza fans out there...I noticed this article the other day. The owner of Guillermos once worked at Luca's...I wonder if he stole the pizza recipe? Does anyone feel qualified to verify if their pizza is the same as Luca's?

Review: Guillermo's (http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/restaurant/Review_Guillermos.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio