Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 11:05 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,155,543 times

Advertisements

*mud* welcome back, long time no see..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 01:35 PM

5 posts, read 7,880 times
Thanx to all for the names & locations...only thing I remember was the colorful lighted "satellite looking" sign up high and it was located on the southeast corner of the intersection. Man, those were the good old days! Thanx again.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:59 AM

Default Thank you mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
Tunies Drive In was at the intersection of Hildebrand and San Pedro.

up close to Basse and San Pedro was Jay's Drive In (at the corner of Contour).

MUD, after letting your info sink in for a couple days and checking google earth of San Pedro & Contour, I believe you nailed it. Jays Drive In is the one !! Thats been 55 years ago, but it is all coming back to me. Thank you so much for helping me bring back some great memories !! Brackenridge Park, Barn Door resturant, Playland Park, & Shakey's Pizza!!

Old 09-08-2019, 02:55 PM

847 posts, read 2,217,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post

*mud* welcome back, long time no see..
thanks DF. been pretty dead in here for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSTEXAN View Post
snip.

Best I can remember it had a lighted ball sign with light rods coming out all over.
snip.
I can picture the spiked ball in my mind, but I was not connecting it to Jay's.

Jay's on San Pedro was a great meeting spot and had good food and drinks.

if you go to postings #1556 and 3727 in this thread,
the spiked ball is mentioned at the Rigsby Jay's location.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:08 PM

Default Thank you mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
thanks DF. been pretty dead in here for quite a while.

I can picture the spiked ball in my mind, but I was not connecting it to Jay's.

Jay's on San Pedro was a great meeting spot and had good food and drinks.

if you go to postings #1556 and 3727 in this thread,
the spiked ball is mentioned at the Rigsby Jay's location.
Thanks MUD, I probably saw that ball somewhere else, cause when I look at Contour and San. P. it looks so familiar...our friends had a small appt. complex right behind the drive in. They were small apt. designed like an old time motor inn. He had bird avairies behind the rooms where is raised parrots, cockatiels back in the early 60s. Thanx for all your help.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 AM

7 posts, read 10,415 times
Hello All! I'm an 80's kid from the South Side of San Antonio and am interested in seeing any pics of Military drive, South Park Mall.
I have yet to see any pics of:
- Fargo's Pizza
- Splash Night Club
- Grandy's
- Kroger's

Also on Mission Road and Hart, before the mission trail and gazebo, there used to be a drive-able road that ran along side the river and ran to Southcross (i think). It cut through the golfcourse.

It would be awesome to see any of this stuff. I'll post what I have soon. My Aunt will be giving me a bunch of pics soon.

Last edited by ilikeike222; 09-11-2019 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-11-2019, 09:00 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,313,608 times
Two lane 1604 on the North Side with light traffic all day. Tomatillo's in the Colonnade.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:54 AM

7 posts, read 10,415 times
Old Business Card for Watch Service front and back.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:44 PM

36 posts, read 25,152 times
Default Sorry,

I do not have any such recent pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike222 View Post
Hello All! I'm an 80's kid from the South Side of San Antonio and am interested in seeing any pics of Military drive, South Park Mall.
I have yet to see any pics of:
- Fargo's Pizza
- Splash Night Club
- Grandy's
- Kroger's

Also on Mission Road and Hart, before the mission trail and gazebo, there used to be a drive-able road that ran along side the river and ran to Southcross (i think). It cut through the golfcourse.

It would be awesome to see any of this stuff. I'll post what I have soon. My Aunt will be giving me a bunch of pics soon.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:53 AM

36 posts, read 25,152 times
Default Gone Alright,

281 North and Loop 1604 was a four way stop and there were only two gas stations and nothing else, north between that intersection and Spring Branch. Crazy, the extreme growth of the City in short time. Annexation by the city is nothing new...it will be. The future is on our heels, believe me. It can't be slowed or stopped.
A Very quiet 1604 seemed just a linear park with ice houses along the way, at Blanco Rd., etc. Shade trees were left in place where people stopped underneath, along the very wide, right of way. It was truly a beautiful, place in time in San Antonio.

Further west was an old wooden building gas station at the intersection of FM 471 with clear glass globe gasoline pumps still there. To complete the feeling of a place that time left behind, were the creaky wooden floors underneath of one's feet, inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio