Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,297,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Nenkoji, here are a couple old postcard views from the Teahouse/Gardens. I collect old postcards and thot I had one showing the Bamboo Room but am still searching. Are you refering to the stone structure just to the side of the pavilion? If so, then the Chinese family who managed the place thru the 1950s and '60s had a snack bar in there selling ice cream cones among other items. The sky ride, seen in the postcard, that crossed over the area was a spectacular way to view the Gardens from above but it was removed in the '80s I believe. Many thanks for sharing your family history with us and please know that Sunken Gardens has meant a lot to the city and its residents for generations and will now continue to be a very special place for us all.
BubB....I was going to come looking for you to see if you might have some photos! Where have you been? You've been missed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:51 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,122,924 times
Found a drawing showing the completed Bamboo Tea Room/Jingu House. Also looks like Water Street Oyster Bar is having a fundraiser also!

San Antonio Parks Foundation

Old 10-28-2009, 01:52 AM

7 posts, read 24,565 times
Default Japanese Tea Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Found a drawing showing the completed Bamboo Tea Room/Jingu House. Also looks like Water Street Oyster Bar is having a fundraiser also!

San Antonio Parks Foundation
Yes I think the fundraiser is this weekend. Try the Jingu Swai dish, it's great!. We got to visit the restaurant with the parks foundation. They are so great to do the fundraiser.
nenkoji

Old 10-28-2009, 09:57 AM

237 posts, read 847,178 times
Default San Antonio dungeon

[quote=hhwolfman;11370801]Hello All. It has been a while. I know I have mentioned on here about having the original Project Terror Intro on Video. Well As a Halloween Present to all of you, SA Monster Boomers, I have just up loaded it to Utube. Happy Halloween. HHW

Thanks wolfman and here's another reminder of Spooky San Antonio. In 1962 early KENS-TV newsman Pat Boyette made a creepy movie titled "Dungeon of Harrow" in a studio somewhere out off San Pedro. Other outside shots were done somewhere in the county to help tell the story of a shipwrecked guy who finds his way to the weird goings-on of the "mad Count DeSade" and his henchman an NBA refugee, Too Tall-Zombie. I found my copy a couple years ago in the $1.99 DVD bin at a local 1/2 Price Books here in Austin. It bears watching once if only for a hoot but was seriously done I'm sure by all those involved ... or maybe not, who's to say?
ps. According to the back cover Pat Boyette was also a well known comic book author which is news to me. Does anyone out there have some of Boyette's published work?
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-harrow.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-harrow-2.jpg  

Last edited by BudB; 10-28-2009 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 10-28-2009, 11:21 AM

472 posts, read 1,070,371 times
Default Kmart

Does anyone know what company moved into the old Kmart building on O'Connor and IH35 ? They look very busy

Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 AM

139 posts, read 502,041 times
[quote=BudB;11380371]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
Hello All. It has been a while. I know I have mentioned on here about having the original Project Terror Intro on Video. Well As a Halloween Present to all of you, SA Monster Boomers, I have just up loaded it to Utube. Happy Halloween. HHW

Thanks wolfman and here's another reminder of Spooky San Antonio. In 1962 early KENS-TV newsman Pat Boyette made a creepy movie titled "Dungeon of Harrow" in a studio somewhere out off San Pedro. Other outside shots were done somewhere in the county to help tell the story of a shipwrecked guy who finds his way to the weird goings-on of the "mad Count DeSade" and his henchman an NBA refugee, Too Tall-Zombie. I found my copy a couple years ago in the $1.99 DVD bin at a local 1/2 Price Books here in Austin. It bears watching once if only for a hoot but was seriously done I'm sure by all those involved ... or maybe not, who's to say?
ps. According to the back cover Pat Boyette was also a well known comic book author which is news to me. Does anyone out there have some of Boyette's published work?
Hey Bud, Pat Boyette Worked on a lot of Comics in the 60's and 70's. He was good friends with Wally Wood. I met Pat for the first time. in the 80's, in SA. He worked for Charlton, DC and Warren. Just to name a few. He did work on, Black Hawk, Creepy Magazines, Jungle Jim, Phantom and many More. Yes any Horror fan should watch Dungeon of Harrow It is bad but in a good way. I found out a Year ago, he passed away in 2000. He was a very nice man. HHW

Old 10-28-2009, 12:57 PM

237 posts, read 847,178 times
Default Shock Theater

[quote=hhwolfman;11381931]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Hey Bud, Pat Boyette Worked on a lot of Comics in the 60's and 70's. HHW
As mentioned previously, I left San Antonio for UT Austin in Jan. 1967 and apparently missed a lot of stuff. Except for 1972-'74 in SA, I've been in the Capital ever since but with occasional visits to my hometown. Thanks for cluing me in Wolf as I had no idea of Mr. Boyette's other talents and assume his comix are very collectable. Your Project Terror piece made me wish we could find a kinescope or film of Shock Theater's intro with Joe Austen's Count Creepy or whoever he was on those long gone Saturday nite's. I can still see his hokey but classic haunted castle set with skeletons, cobwebs, tombstones and other freaky junk. Joe's insanely corny commentary and laugh describing the "Bride of Frankenstein" or "Dracula Meets the Mummy" monster mash film for the nite is permanently stuck in my memory.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:59 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times
I remember Pat Boyette!! Wolf & Bud B, I don't think i knew of these things you mention. Wolf had me diggin' for the old "Shock" hairy hand that preceded the "Project Terror" for the late night scary movies! Couldn't find it on youtube!

Old 10-28-2009, 04:44 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,527,352 times
I still do "Project Terror". I collect those old movies and every friday night we try to get together to watch one. I think it will be the Boris Karloff Frankenstein this friday night!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,359,129 times
Default Both were there,

The swizzle stick and the somethin different, across the street from each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
There was nothing at Commerce & Callaghan at that time....maybe now but not then. All the action was around Culebra-Ingram/ Callaghan area. And yes, the Bonanzas just kinda faded away....no reason ever provided...I still think you mean the Swizzle Stick Lounge. I believe it was run by an AF Sgt and they had their share of shootings/stabbings with that one. I think the cops were glad to see that one go....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio