Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 05:00 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
link to an article about Old Mission Ballpark Stadium
Places of the Heart: Missions Stadium (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/MYSA080507_PlacesoftheHeart_Missions_en_27d4920_ht ml.html - broken link)
I grew up on the southside and I use to be a member of the "Knot Hole Gang" and attended some games at the old Mission Ball Park. My father use to tell me stories about Babe Ruth playing in San Antonio. He saw Ruth hit a home run and I think it was at the Mission Park.

Another old name that comes to mind is Dizzy Dean. He played in San antonio in the late 20's for the city electric company and then went on to Arkansas before winding up a St. Louis Cardinal in the 1938 World Series. He helped Cards when back to back Series in the 30's. He later was a 1950's tv commentator for Cards games nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 05:15 PM

In January 1947 — less than three months before opening day — the Browns struck a deal on 15 acres of land at Mission Road and Mitchell Road, one that had been used, almost fittingly, as a site for traveling circuses through the years. Work on what would become Mission Stadium began almost immediately.

"from history of Mission Park", mentioned above.
I also went to some of the circuses at this location when I was about 5 years old. Vague memories. I remember the circus parades ending up at this site. It seems they might have continued holding circuses next door to the stadium. In the first grade, I lived in a three story house on Schley Ave. We lived on the third floor and I use to have supper at the table and they placed me against the wall. The wall was slanted and I was the only one that would fit. I had to bow my head because of the slanted ceiling.
This old house was torn down when they built the I-10 freeway that crossed South Presa and took about two blocks of Schley Ave for the freeway. The ballpark was spared, but barely. That same freeway took Highland Park Theatre on Hackberry at I-10. The Highland Park Theatre is directly under I-10.

Highland Park Theatre (http://www.satheatres.com/Highland_Park_Theatre.html - broken link)

Old 01-17-2010, 05:27 PM

237 posts, read 851,264 times
Default Dizzy Dean

[quote=gy2020;12489036]He saw Ruth hit a home run and I think it was at the Mission Park.
Babe Ruth died of cancer at age 53 about the same time Mission Stadium opened in 1948 so it's unlikely that he ever jacked a homer out of that park. I'm glad you mentioned Dizzy Dean who certainly has some SA history. Besides his great years pitching in the majors then after his retirement, I also recall the years in the 1960s that he was a "color commentator" for the old Texas Open Golf Tournament that was held annually at Oak Hills Country Club. Lone Star or Pearl Beer was a main sponsor and ol' Diz loved the brewski so was often pretty colorful in his commentaries of the golfers doing their thing. Thanks for mentioning him.

Last edited by BudB; 01-17-2010 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: fix

Old 01-17-2010, 05:34 PM

BudB, as mentioned in the website about the History of San Antonio Teams, they played their games at the Fox Tech stadium and dad went to Main Ave HS which was Fox Tech in later years. So that is probably where dad saw Babe and just mentioned Mission Park in same breath.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:48 PM

113 posts, read 446,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Oh well..one more thing "Gone but not Forgotten"!!
Heh! Just like my cowboys!

Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 PM

Hey folks, help me out. You got me thinking about the the southside. Back in the 1950's an avangelist was building a temple monument to his name and credit. He ran out of money and pledges and the skeleton of the building remained standing for about twenty or thirty years, just off S. Presa, on the city's southeast side. Does anyone remember this evangelist and the name of his church?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:13 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
I remember Dizzy Dean being mentioned a lot back then. BudB & Gary I remember the mention of the Mission grounds formerly used by visiting circuses. Not surprised as Probandt and Steves and around to Alamo were very commercialized way back. The early RR station at Alamo and S. Flores. There were big truck docks for switching cargoes on Probandt and another on Mitchell between Mission Rd. & Roosevelt. Ray Russell Marine was at Steves and Probandt in front of Newell Salvage Yards. White Diesel was across Steves from Ray Russell. The little Indian Gas Station I believe was in the little triangle right there. Joske's warehouse just hidden off Probandt North of Tracks north of Lone Star BLVD.
GY, any more info on the monument's location??

Old 01-17-2010, 10:13 PM

satx56, you mentioned Ray Russell Marine. I lay odds that was his business after the Alamo downs was closed. Raymond Russell started Alamo Downs and they named a county park after him. Raymond Russell Park on I-10 north of 1604. His brother married into my family. The brother lived to 99 and was chasing skirts in his mid 90's. He lived in the retirement center across the street from the Tower Life Building.

I really have no more info on the catheral, even though I remember seeing it in the 50's. It was east of S. Presa, maybe between Presa and Hackberry, but I could be off. It could have been as far east as New Braunfels. It was just red iron or steel girders sticking out of the ground. There might have been a framed dome on top, but other than the frame, nothing else was built. He was on the radio for years, probably WOAI.

Last edited by gy2020; 01-17-2010 at 10:35 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 11:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
satx56, you mentioned Ray Russell Marine. I lay odds that was his business after the Alamo downs was closed. Raymond Russell started Alamo Downs and they named a county park after him. Raymond Russell Park on I-10 north of 1604. His brother married into my family. The brother lived to 99 and was chasing skirts in his mid 90's. He lived in the retirement center across the street from the Tower Life Building.

I really have no more info on the catheral, even though I remember seeing it in the 50's. It was east of S. Presa, maybe between Presa and Hackberry, but I could be off. It could have been as far east as New Braunfels. It was just red iron or steel girders sticking out of the ground. There might have been a framed dome on top, but other than the frame, nothing else was built. He was on the radio for years, probably WOAI.
Wow!! You know i never put Ray Russell Marine and Raymond Russell Park together. Had no clue who owned the old Alamo Downs. Used to see the old remains and entrance way back. Went in Ray's Marine a few times in the early 70's to buy the swivel drink holders for my truck. Nickel plated brass!! Never saw anyone else in there at that time. The old man working the counter i guess was Mr Russell. Long time ago.
The Cathedral you speak of must have been north of Southcross. Wouldn't recall anything there from 50's. But there were broadcasts made (probably from WOAI) from a church not far from there. This was a church on Mitchell between Roosevelt and Hackberry. I think you could get to it from Steves Street also. It was just west of the old fire station. They did broadcasts back in 70's and 80's i believe.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 AM

satx56: It was called a Tabernachel, but it was never completed and eventually it was torn down. No one ever completed it. It was off tol the east of S. Presa. It could have been north of the railroad tracks up by Becker and the Boys Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio