Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 12:31 PM

237 posts, read 851,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclhd View Post
The old main library is now the The Briscoe Western Art Museum
Looks like an interesting place and I'm happy to see the old library building saved and restored. So where's the Hertzberg Cirucus collection now remains in questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:26 PM

Since I've asked one question here's another ... does anyone know how or why Comanche Park got its name? Its been out there on Rigsby as long as I can recall which is nearly 60 years but how much longer I do not know and would like to. Somebody probably wrote it up in the old Southside Reporter but when it sold a while back, the archives were tossed, I was told.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:56 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Since I've asked one question here's another ... does anyone know how or why Comanche Park got its name? Its been out there on Rigsby as long as I can recall which is nearly 60 years but how much longer I do not know and would like to. Somebody probably wrote it up in the old Southside Reporter but when it sold a while back, the archives were tossed, I was told.
This pretty well explains it Bud!

Comanche Park

I used to see the soap box derby's at night many years ago there.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 AM

[quote=satx56;15691203]This pretty well explains it Bud!

It sure does, thanx to good ol' Tommy Adkisson. Estabished in 1914 makes it older than I might have guessed and that explains why my family was so familiar with it. My great-great-great uncle was Redmond Rice jr. who lived nearby thanks to an artesian well on his property. He gave the name to Rice Road out there but the old Rice homestead is long gone now. Family lore says that my grandmother's cousin loved diving off the original bridge there into Salado Creek aka the Slough which rhymes with cow. That old pecan bottom must have been an Indian campground for eons as usual and the fact that Stephen Austin encamped there before the Battle of Bexar makes it extra special. Many thanx for the link my friend. Happy trails, Bud
ps; I never attended the midget races there but saw drivers practice there occasionally.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
I remember going to Comanche Park many times in the early-mid sixties. It's where Highland Park Little League held their annual picnic/BBQ.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:14 AM

34 posts, read 107,349 times
Dr wWells was my doctor too remeber his office on Clark ( my mom said that he was in the old McCreless ) i took my kids too him for a while before he retired ... ( 20 years later )

Old 08-31-2010, 11:37 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
Dr Wells and Dr Burton were originally in Little McCreless and then moved to S. Gevers between Hiawatha and Channing(near the Bamboo Room). Dr. Owensby a dentist, an X-Ray office and several other doctors were also in that Gevers building

Old 08-31-2010, 02:05 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
[quote=BudB;15699050]
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
This pretty well explains it Bud!

It sure does, thanx to good ol' Tommy Adkisson. Estabished in 1914 makes it older than I might have guessed and that explains why my family was so familiar with it. My great-great-great uncle was Redmond Rice jr. who lived nearby thanks to an artesian well on his property. He gave the name to Rice Road out there but the old Rice homestead is long gone now. Family lore says that my grandmother's cousin loved diving off the original bridge there into Salado Creek aka the Slough which rhymes with cow. That old pecan bottom must have been an Indian campground for eons as usual and the fact that Stephen Austin encamped there before the Battle of Bexar makes it extra special. Many thanx for the link my friend. Happy trails, Bud
ps; I never attended the midget races there but saw drivers practice there occasionally.
No problem, I was interested as well. I never attended the midget races either but saw them often at night while passing thru. I faintly remember Rigsby Drive In. I'm sure we attended movies there as most others. Most likely pre 60's. Last outing to Commanche was attending a mother of twins picnic with wife mid 80's.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:54 PM

Default Rigsby

[quote=satx56;15703375]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
I faintly remember Rigsby Drive In.
As mentioned here previously, I'm working on book number six about SA, this time a history of the Eastside/Denver Heights, focusing on the historic African American experience from 1930 to 1980. The Rigsby Drive-In was a regular movie venue for my family and its screen tower-front with a 40 foot tall Xs & Os game appearing and disappearing every ten seconds in bright red & green neon is burned into my memory. I mention my current book project to say that it will include childhood memories of a black Eastsider telling about his family's trips to a segregated Rigsby Drive-In thru the 1950s. After his dad paid, their car was channeled across and back toward the rear parking area into the "Colored Section". It had no snack bar or restroom but was still a bigger than TV movie experience for the whole family. And it was the only drive-in theater in that part of town offering movies on these terms to black citizens. "Separate but equal" ... think about it.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Dr Wells and Dr Burton were originally in Little McCreless and then moved to S. Gevers between Hiawatha and Channing(near the Bamboo Room). Dr. Owensby a dentist, an X-Ray office and several other doctors were also in that Gevers building
Visited Dr. Burton a few times during junior hi especially when I mashed my tailbone horsing around then falling down in the showers at Poe after PE. The doctor's offices sat on Gevers near Podnuhs Drive-In and the Bamboo as stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio