Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 PM

91 posts, read 323,618 times

Advertisements

I was informed this evening that Terrell Plaza is being demolished this week. The western part of the center where the bank, Robinson's and Silvey Music was is down. The area in front of Penney's and White's is next, with Penney's and White's being last. The eastern part of the center where Big Lots and Earl Abel's is will stay. Target will build a new store on the site. I found a photo taken last Friday showing the buildings being gutted.

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/jjmarcus/6036642665/

I spent a lot of time at Terrell Plaza through the years, be it shopping with Mom at Penney's or killing time at Dick's Hobby Shop when I was old enough to go by myself.

Rest easy, old friend. Thanks for the memories.

Macgrad89
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:35 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,072,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
I was informed this evening that Terrell Plaza is being demolished this week. The western part of the center where the bank, Robinson's and Silvey Music was is down. The area in front of Penney's and White's is next, with Penney's and White's being last. The eastern part of the center where Big Lots and Earl Abel's is will stay. Target will build a new store on the site. I found a photo taken last Friday showing the buildings being gutted.

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/jjmarcus/6036642665/

I spent a lot of time at Terrell Plaza through the years, be it shopping with Mom at Penney's or killing time at Dick's Hobby Shop when I was old enough to go by myself.

Rest easy, old friend. Thanks for the memories.

Macgrad89
Sad news.. I have many, many memories of that shopping center.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:07 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
…Anybody remembers when there was no malls in S.A.?

All the stores were downtown. Joske's of Texas, Wolff & Marx,Solo Serve
La Feria…never felt comfortable at Frost Store, Coney Island hot dogs, the
Majestic,Texas, Empire…Alameda, the original farmers market. Woolworth
store back then was more than a tourist shop, clothes and groceries in the
basement floor. I used to work at Joske's & I miss the breakfast at the
cafeteria in the basement. I think Las Palmas was the first of the
malls here, not sure ! I miss the Christmas decorations downtown too !

By the way, when did Seven-Eleven arrive & when did they go ?
Shoppers World,Globe Shopping City, Woolco…anybody know more ?
Don't forget Fed-Mart, there were a couple in San Antonio. We used to shop at the one on Vance Jackson and 4-10. Interestingly, the guy who started Fed-mart also started Costco.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:11 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Don't forget Fed-Mart, there were a couple in San Antonio. We used to shop at the one on Vance Jackson and 4-10. Interestingly, the guy who started Fed-mart also started Costco.
Must have been 3 in SA! I remember one on Broadway north of 410 and ours at Military Drive and Zarzamora. I remember the Vance Jackson and 410 store after Gulf-Mart took over ..... 100 Octane gas and my Camaro thrived on it!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:24 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Must have been 3 in SA! I remember one on Broadway north of 410 and ours at Military Drive and Zarzamora. I remember the Vance Jackson and 410 store after Gulf-Mart took over ..... 100 Octane gas and my Camaro thrived on it!
The only Fed-Marts I remember in San Antonio were on SW Military, and Loop 410 @ Vance-Jackson. The SW Military location dated back to at least the 1950s, and in the early days was a members-only retailer for government employees. The 410/Vance-Jackson store was built in the early 1970s, and by this time, the chain was open to the general public. That store later became Target, and the building was demolished after the Super Target opened at Crossroads/Wonderland.

As for Gulf-Mart, I remember the one on Broadway just outside 410. That store also dated back to the 1950s, and was also a government employees-only store, until sometime during the 1960s, when it was opened to the general public. When Gulf-Mart went out of business in the mid-1970s, the Broadway location became a Globe discount store, then in the late 1970s became one of the first Kmarts in San Antonio. It later became Consumers Commissary/Value Club. The building was recently demolished, and a hotel was built on that site.

There was also a Gulf-Mart on Fredericksburg Rd. just outside 410, that later also became a Kmart store.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The only Fed-Marts I remember in San Antonio were on SW Military, and Loop 410 @ Vance-Jackson. The SW Military location dated back to at least the 1950s, and in the early days was a members-only retailer for government employees. The 410/Vance-Jackson store was built in the early 1970s, and by this time, the chain was open to the general public. That store later became Target, and the building was demolished after the Super Target opened at Crossroads/Wonderland.

As for Gulf-Mart, I remember the one on Broadway just outside 410. That store also dated back to the 1950s, and was also a government employees-only store, until sometime during the 1960s, when it was opened to the general public. When Gulf-Mart went out of business in the mid-1970s, the Broadway location became a Globe discount store, then in the late 1970s became one of the first Kmarts in San Antonio. It later became Consumers Commissary/Value Club. The building was recently demolished, and a hotel was built on that site.

There was also a Gulf-Mart on Fredericksburg Rd. just outside 410, that later also became a Kmart store.
The location on Broadway could have only been a Gulf Mart. I may have assumed it had been a Fed Mart. Maybe confused with one on Vance Jackson. My memory is spotty but thought it was previously a Fed Mart.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM

91 posts, read 323,618 times
Default Gulf Mart on Broadway

The Gulf Mart on Broadway was built around 1961-1962. Gulf Mart went belly up around 1976 or so. Globe came along and opened a store there which didn't last long. K-Mart then opened around 1979 and stayed a few years.

Consumer's Commissary was next in that location and they stuck around about 5 years. Consumer's Commissary was a members-only deal very similar to Sam's. Consumer's Commissary became Value Club and operated that way a short time.

After being vacant a few years, the building became an antique mall and then the Airport Convention Center. The end came for the building and it was demolished during October-November 2007.

Macgrad89

Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 PM

If I remember correctly Consumer's Commissary was Handy Andy's venture. There was one at Roosevelt and Military drive in what was Woolco, Spartan Atlantic or Globe. Man it's hard to remember which of those old names inhabited which buildings.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 PM

472 posts, read 1,075,799 times
Yay!,..finally a Target closer that that over-crowded,no parking having store at the Forum,..Yay! again,...

Old 08-21-2011, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,553 times
Default 70s TV Commercial (Local Company?)

Hi, everyone. I was referred to this forum when none of my self-proclaimed pop culture guru friends could answer this question. Do any of you remember an animated TV commercial from the mid-1970s where two men were singing, one of them also playing the piano. They sang something like, "Hello Mr. ??" and then "Hello, Mr. Klein." I think it was for a local San Antonio company, but I cannot remember what the company was or what they were selling. I'm asking because I want to try to find a copy of the commercial (if one still exits) for a birthday video I'm putting together for my Mom. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio