Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 05:56 PM

35 posts, read 93,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
That was the steak back in the day, I never thought they would never be around. Went there many times as a kid, I miss that great steak.
Yes, I used to live (as I've said before) in the Foothills in the late 60s early 70s, and I used to mow a lawn for this family at the corner of Rock Creek Run and Fallen Leaf Lane (my street), after which getting paid I would later that day or next ride to Sizzler at 410 and Vance Jackson, next to the Handy Dan, and buy myself dinner, all by myself. Strange to think it now. My family knew very little of this, if any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
The Texas Highway Dept. rebuilt the I10 410 interchange. It's like three stories high now. If you try get on around Cherry Ridge you will end up at Callaghan and have to go back the other way to get back on 410. Vance Jackson is in the middle. You can get on I10 but getting on 410 in the right direction can be tricky and the signs are confusing. I usually take Fred. road now but that means going through Balconey's Hights and the cameras. I would just rather avoid that whole area.
I was looking at the area of Callaghan and I-10, didn't there used to be a real nice restaurant there in late 60s or early 70s, called perhaps "Anthony's" or something like that?
I remember it being real intimidating when we went there. Of course our family was in the early throes of falling apart so we didn't feel real comfortable anywhere we went...

Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 PM

Default Dirty bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
The Medina incident was one of the largest non-nuclear explosions ever to have happened.
From what I was just reading, the sub-assemblies that exploded were partially of uranium and depleted uranium. I would call that a nuclear explosion, though more like what they now call a "dirty bomb."

Eyeballing the Medina Regional SIGINT Operations Center (MRSOC) and former Medina National Stockpile Site (NSS)

Old 08-09-2012, 07:28 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
I've read a lot about Medina Base and it's role in the nuke program. This was another huge explosion not sure of the comparison between the two.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmeist View Post
I was looking at the area of Callaghan and I-10, didn't there used to be a real nice restaurant there in late 60s or early 70s, called perhaps "Anthony's" or something like that?
I remember it being real intimidating when we went there. Of course our family was in the early throes of falling apart so we didn't feel real comfortable anywhere we went...

I only remember Ninfas, and Karams at I-10 and Callaghan.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,587 times
Default Unnamed Park

I may have asked this before, but hoping that someone may be able to answer or may know about it.

There was an amusement park at the NW corner of W Commerce and St. Louis Ave. on the West side of San Antonio. I used to pass it by when I was younger when it was already in its demise back in the 80s. I was able to obtain an aerial view of it where you can see the amusement park in 1973. Today a small church center now occupies the location.

Does anyone remember or have information on what the name of this small amusement park was and how long it was open for before it closed? Just a curious SA local that's been wondering.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:04 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmeist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I only remember Ninfas, and Karams at I-10 and Callaghan.
I don't recall there being much commercial development in the vicinity of Callaghan and I-10 in the late 60s-early 70s.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:12 PM

136 posts, read 331,786 times
[quote=webmeist;25563798]From what I was just reading, the sub-assemblies that exploded were partially of uranium and depleted uranium. I would call that a nuclear explosion, though more like what they now call a "dirty bomb."

If I was reading without the knowledge of how the nukes are assembled, I'd agree. But the 'nuclear' material referred to in your article isn't the part that makes the BWF (Blinding White Flash). What detonated was the explosive lenses that surrounded the BWF material, and these were clad on one side with depleted uranium to help keep a weapons grade explosion together for a few more microseconds to boost the BWF. There was no fissile material involved at Medina, and the contamination on the site was insignificant and easily contained and eliminated.

In case you're wondering, I spent 20 years in the Navy as a GMT, Gunner's Mate (Tech) or as we called ourselves, H-Bomb Mechanics. If you want to look it up, find the Naval Enlisted Code (NEC) GM-0926.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Default SA infamous places/people

Does anyone know anything about the Midget Mansion, the Donkey Lady, etc?

I've lived around here for 22 years, and while I've heard of these many times, I've never been able to learn the stories (or facts) behind them.

Someone fill me in, please.

Thanks.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Midget Mansion
Midget Mansion of San Antonio Explained
Midget Mansion in San Antonio | Scary For Kids

Donkey Lady
The Donkey Lady Of San Antonio, TX - Urban Legends - Unexplained Mysteries Discussion Forums

It took me 2 seconds on google......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio