Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 PM

263 posts, read 476,197 times

Advertisements

Have you seen my input on page 277?Heard this back in 1967 when relocated to the North side . A.Soliz
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I always liked the part where they would hit them with a dart and they would go to sleep. Wild animals! In my earlier days of child raising we had this liquid that would put our wild kids to sleep. We would alway's say Time for Wild Kingdom!
Man that just about knocked me out've my chair.That was funny,my co.workers just looked at me as if going nuts,I turned around and said "what ,u'all are walking around all day like ur talkin'to ur selfs.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Does anyone know anything about the Midget Mansion, the Donkey Lady, etc?

I've lived around here for 22 years, and while I've heard of these many times, I've never been able to learn the stories (or facts) behind them.

Someone fill me in, please.

Thanks.
S.P. the midget mansion was located on Mockingbird Lane off of Fredericks RD.just w. of Callaghan Rd..You could see the mansion from I-10 and Callaghan.Buddies and I would drive past there and stop,look thru the hedges and brush but never saw anything.This was back in 1972-73.Just recently .it was torn down to make way for a new Lowes.Story has it that yes there were midgets living there working as grounds keepers,portes etc.When the Circus came to town Barnum&Baily would hire them out to perform under the big top. asoliz

Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 PM

Default Flors Country Store Helotes,Tex.

SAf It still looks the same as it did in the early 70's.I went in there back in June'12,best smoked sausage I've had in long time.Still remember paying that fine of 100 dollars to the sheriff for fightin' or go to jail.I had originly gone next door to check out some old antique bikes, but they were closed.

Last edited by albert soliz; 12-06-2012 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: left a word out

Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 PM

Default George's drive-inn

Does the title ring a bell? IT.Was located on Fredricksburg Rd. at Vane-Jackson.Smallest little drive-in in S.A. The last time I was there was in1985, a gentleman by the name "Rufus" was still working there.This guys memory was amazing.He could take multipul oders and remember every single detail without writing anything down.Allthe orders would come back perfect.There hamburgers were delicious.the Root Beer floats, great!,and there Onion Rings,perfect.They too had 5 Burgers for $2.89. Getting hungry?

Last edited by albert soliz; 12-07-2012 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: miss-spell

Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
Does the title ring a bell? IT.Was located on Fredricksburg Rd. at Vane-Jackson.Smallest little drive-in in S.A. The last time I was there was in1985, a gentleman by the name "Rufus" was still working there.This guys memory was amazing.He could take multipul oders and remember every single detail without writing anything down.Allthe orders would come back perfect.There hamburgers were delicious.the Root Beer floats, great!,and there Onion Rings,perfect.They too had 5 Burgers for $2.89. Getting hungry?
Maybe the old "Black Cow" location..... There was a very quaint Mom & Pop Drive in on the south side in the 50's and very early 60's. Art's Drive in ..his wife Ann car hopped. They were at least in the 50's maybe 60's. If George's was smaller it was really tiny.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM

61 posts, read 118,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
Anyone remember 12 star final news with Tom Ellis? Used to watch it on black and white tv.
On 12 Star Final, their opening scene was of "Don's" Ambulance service at the scene of a car wreck. Also, they had a video of a speed boat going over a ski ramp at Lake McQueeney. What a memory, huh ?

SAFREAK

Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM

Default home town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
It seems like,from reading this Blog, the most nostalgic parts of San Antonio are around Macreless Mall and Colonies North. When I was growing up those places were kinda on the outskirts and I spent my childhood growing up further in. Houston st. and New Braunfels and Fred.road at Vance Jackson. I wish more people would write about areas even further in like Allena village or Jefferson village, The Monticello Grocery, the woodlawn theater, I guess they have all been covered rather well. This thread is a monster but that is the part of town I like hearing about. I had a friend who used to call the area from Wonderland to West Ave. at 410. West Ave. to Fred road and Fred road back to wonderland "The Chalupa Trangle". No offence please..I grew up in that area!
I grew up in the shadow of the Pearl Brewery, Hawhthorne Jr. High, then on to Jefferson, .....I have tons of memorys of that area. loved it.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:00 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFREAK View Post
On 12 Star Final, their opening scene was of "Don's" Ambulance service at the scene of a car wreck. Also, they had a video of a speed boat going over a ski ramp at Lake McQueeney. What a memory, huh ?

SAFREAK
Ah Don's Ambulances..... Yep, before the Fire Dept. had Modulances. Don's I assume had a contract with the city. Owned by Don Bierschwale later he went on to own at least three funeral homes around the city. He and other investors opened the HWY 16 Raceway. One of his former ambulance drivers went on to own a large a/c business here. Don passed away in Nov. of 2011. Last time i saw him he was rubbing briskets just outside his Flores Street funeral warehouse facility.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
MacArthur Park -Agreed

Playland Park - Oh, Yea. Ridin' the Rocket!!!

North Star Mall - No Malls yet, went downtown. Kresses, Walgreens, etc

Joskes - Especially the little train that ran for the parking.

Sunken Gardens - Always popular parking and making out place.

KTSA radio bonfires! - KTSA in general. Rock and Roll all day and night!

Earl Abels after prom - Youngblood's, Christie's and Tai Shan, too.

The Sound of Music at the Majestic Theater - Saw King Kong at Aztec, Hope/Crosby "Road" shows at Majestic, monster flicks at the Texas.

Shakeys Pizza - No one knew what pizza was. Local BBQ was hot.

Alamo Drive-In - Austin Hwy - Must have been a dozen drive-ins back then. Only thing more abundant was bowling alleys.

Also: Lone Star ice houses for tamales and RC, Running Bear for an occasional beer or two, The Flame burgers and chicken, Street racing, glass paks, the pool at Roosevelt park, and lots of other wonderful stuff. Long gone, but not forgotten.
Oh Man !! Youngbloods,...Christies,......thats my old stopping grounds,.......our old house is still standing on East Locust St..a little run down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio