Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 AM

847 posts, read 2,217,684 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 AM

847 posts, read 2,217,684 times
here's an interesting read..................
.... A Big Pig's Tale - King William Association | San Antonio, TX

Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 AM

5 posts, read 12,960 times
Default Farrell's Restaurant

Does anyone recall a diner on SW Military by the name of Farrells? I believe it was a counter diner with neon lights on the windows? I am trying to recall what was the menu like, I was probably 4 or 5 years old-but some how remember the place.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,463,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroc13 View Post
Does anyone recall a diner on SW Military by the name of Farrells? I believe it was a counter diner with neon lights on the windows? I am trying to recall what was the menu like, I was probably 4 or 5 years old-but some how remember the place.
Yep, it was at the NW corner of New Laredo Hwy and S.W. Military Dr. Bit the dust several years ago as I recall. Building remains I think. I remember the old vertical sign "Farrells". I'm sure I stopped by a time or two over the years. Another landmark gone.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,463,409 times
That ^^ is one great looking battle tank bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
here's an interesting read..................
.... A Big Pig's Tale - King William Association | San Antonio, TX
Ha that's a great find Mud! That old pig sat on White Ave between Roosevelt and Mission Road for years. Then was moved to present location. Poor thing has been abandoned, adopted and on and on. Thanks for posting!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,560,124 times
Quote:
We used to eat at a Farrells when I was a kid in the 60's but it was on Roosevelt just north of the Golf course. A geen buidling if I recall. The building is still there but Farrells is long gone.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 PM

51 posts, read 142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
(Continued from Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I)

This thread is for those who have lived in SA for some time now or maybe just have memories of places that no longer exist. It might be interesting to some of the newer folks who have no idea what used to be here, whether it was a beloved place or just something different that you can't find anymore.

I'm in my early 40s but I remember all the old movie drive-ins that used to be everywhere in the city. We used to frequent the old Bandera Rd Drive-In that used to be located at the SE corner of Bandera and Loop 410 where the old Target building sits empty. We also used to go to the Fredericksburg Rd Drive-In about a mile past Crossroads Mall (the old Wonderland Mall) just south of Loop 410. I remember the Woodlawn, the Mission and the Valley Hi theaters also.

For those that live on the far west side near Potranco Rd, there used to be a business just about 1/2 mile south of Potranco outside 1604 where you could drive back into the woods and target shoot. It was called appropriately enough "A Place to Shoot"...original, eh?! That wouldn't go over so well now with all the new homes being built, of course.

Also, at the eastern corner where Potranco Rd and Talley Rd deadends, was an old country gas station and store named "Reds" with old 1930s or 1940s gas pumps. It was owned by Mr and Mrs Red Laidley and they stocked everything from some basic groceries to farm and ranch equipment and feed for livestock. Most people don't know this but if you can find an old scary movie entitled "Race with the Devil" starring M*A*S*H TV star Loretta Swit and also starring Peter Fonda, you can see just how rural Potranco and that area used to be. The film was made around 1973 and the premise of the film involved two couples trying to get away from devil worshippers who caught them spying on one of their sacrifices..anyway..the scene shows them driving on Potranco towards Talley Rd in their RV and stopping at Reds for gas and information. You get a great shot of what the interior of this old country store looked like and you see both Mr Laidley and his elderly wife who had bit parts in the film. In the distance, you can see empty farm land and not the sea of homes that inhabit the view now.

The old gas station there off Culebra just to the west of 1604 that I hear was finally demolished for a new Jim's was called "Dan's"...it was similar to the store just mentioned above..Red's...everything seemed to have just one name! It serviced all the farms and ranches on FM 471 from where the old Grissom Rd intersected to the east all the way west towards the county line.

Anyone else have any old memores? I'll add some more later!
Hi, I realize your post is over 6 years old, but just in case you're still interested, here are a few comments that you may find interesting.
First of all, I believe the shooting range you were talking about is located at the corner of Roft Rd. and Culebra. I forgot what it used to be called, but it is still there and operating under the name of "National Shooting Complex". "A Place to Shoot" is a different shooting range that is located on the south side of San Antonio. It is on the old Pleasanton Rd. next to Mitchell Lake. As far as I can remember it has always been called "A Place to Shoot".
It's interesting that you mentioned Talley Rd. My great-great-grandmother was Elizabeth Ann "Betty" Talley. Family tradition has it that that road was named after someone in her family. I have not been able to verify that, because many of our street and road name origins have been lost in history.
You also mentioned some of the old country stores. One that I remember was an old country store and gas station off of Nacogdoches Rd. and Perrin Beitel Rd. It was called Short's Corner, and has long since disappeared with urban developement.
Now, getting to the theaters. I definitely remember all of those theaters you mentioned and a few more. Here are the drive-in theaters I remember. The Mission on Roosevelt, the Trail, and the Loop 13 on Military Drive, the Lackland on Somerset Rd., the Kelly on Frio City Rd., the Circle 81 where Nogalitos, Laredo Hwy, and Somerset Rd. converge, the Parkair on Goliad Rd., the Towne Twin over on the east side, the El Capitan, and the Fiesta on the west side, the Austin Hwy. drive-in on Austin Hwy, the Roxy on Pleasanton Rd., the Fredericksburg Rd. drive-in on Fredericksburg Rd., The Varsity where Bandera Rd begins at Culebra,
the Bandera Road drive-in where Bandera and Loop 410 intersect (also remember they had a Handy Dan at that location in later years), and the Judson out on Hwy 78 (Old Seguin Rd.) My mom was the cashier at the Kelly and the Trail drive-ins. (free movies, oh yeah!) Inside theaters I recall are the downtown theaters such as the Aztec, the Empire, the Majestic, the Texas, the State, the Alameda, the Guadalupe, and two adult theaters, the Joy, and the Prince. Suburban indoor theaters I remember are the Harlandale on S. Flores, the HiHo on S. Presa, The Broadway on Broadway, The Woodlawn on Fredericksburg Rd., The Laurel on San Pedro, and the Josephine on Josephine St. near N. St. Mary's. My mom also worked at some of these, the Aztec, Texas, State, Laurel, and the Josephine (again, free movies and popcorn, oh yeah!) All of these theaters are either torn down now, or are being used for other purposes such as live shows and cultural events.
Hope you read this after all these years and find some fond memories in here for yourself. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 PM

1,691 posts, read 4,092,199 times
The drive in on Austin Highway was called the Alamo Drive In. There was the old San Pedro at Rampart and San Pedro. It closed in 1965, and Globe Shopping City was built on the site. The "new" San Pedro was built at Bitters Rd, and 281. It was built as a twin, but eventually grew to a five screen complex. The El Charro Drive in was at Merida and Hamilton. The Valley Hi Drive In was at Medina Base Road and Loop 410.

There was also the Olmos Theatre on San Pedro. The Highland Theatre was right across the street from The Little Red Barn.

Let's not forget the Wonder at Wonderland Mall, and the North Star Cinema, and the Fox Twin at Central Park Mall. These were built in the 60s, as was Century South.

The 70s brought a LOT of theatres and screens. None of which were anything special in my opinion except the final single screen theatre built in town; the Cinematex Colonies Theatre, aka Colonies North Theatre built in Colonies North Mall in 1970.

Does anyone remember the twin theatre Bonanza Steak House owned and operated on Naco-Perrin? They had an idea that dinner and a movie would be popular with Bonanza customers, and the theatre on Naco Perrin was one of a few bult nationwide. It was a failure, and that little theatre changed hands quite a few times before it closed for good.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 AM

263 posts, read 476,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The drive in on Austin Highway was called the Alamo Drive In. There was the old San Pedro at Rampart and San Pedro. It closed in 1965, and Globe Shopping City was built on the site. The "new" San Pedro was built at Bitters Rd, and 281. It was built as a twin, but eventually grew to a five screen complex. The El Charro Drive in was at Merida and Hamilton. The Valley Hi Drive In was at Medina Base Road and Loop 410.

There was also the Olmos Theatre on San Pedro. The Highland Theatre was right across the street from The Little Red Barn.

Let's not forget the Wonder at Wonderland Mall, and the North Star Cinema, and the Fox Twin at Central Park Mall. These were built in the 60s, as was Century South.

The 70s brought a LOT of theatres and screens. None of which were anything special in my opinion except the final single screen theatre built in town; the Cinematex Colonies Theatre, aka Colonies North Theatre built in Colonies North Mall in 1970.

Does anyone remember the twin theatre Bonanza Steak House owned and operated on Naco-Perrin? They had an idea that dinner and a movie would be popular with Bonanza customers, and the theatre on Naco Perrin was one of a few bult nationwide. It was a failure, and that little theatre changed hands quite a few times before it closed for good.
You mentioned THE WONDER THEATER.I worked for about3/4 months in 1971.NOEL ORR was the Manager,Cathy Little worked the box office.I came into work after the last showing to clean up the place.It was kinda creepy working there at night all by yourself.One night after I got done,I grabbed a bucket of popcorn and a orange drink,went up to the projection room,flipped the power switch and watched "McCABE and MRS MILLER",I had till 5am to finish cleaning.this was when it was only a single screen.If iam not mistaken it was the first one to go multi-screen.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 AM

263 posts, read 476,330 times
Quote:
I certainly do.They had great food.I liked there Chiken Fried Steak with the yellow chiken cream gravy.This was back in the early '80's.Now its a MEXICAN REST.,they also have good food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio