Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 12:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times

Advertisements

Indian Hills mobile home park was likely one of the most decent and serene in town. From Goliad Rd. west to about where Home Depot is now. Handy Dan's was there too! The community was tucked away much like the Brooks housing on the other side of Military Drive. Sort of an oasis yet near to most amenities. Indian Hills 2 I believe it's called is still there, I think, out Goliad south of Military Drive. It was always a mess compared to the original though. Far back as the 50's we went 181 to the coast much more scenic than I-37. Corpus Christi Hwy is sort of a hodgepodge of roads that eventually end at 181 far as I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM

61 posts, read 119,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
nothing in the book FREAK.

as Mr Trap noted Goliad Rd was not in existence in 1930.
Thanks for looking. Someone is confused, ( my relatives ) I'll give it another shot when I talk with them again.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
nothing in the book FREAK.

as Mr Trap noted Goliad Rd was not in existence in 1930.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFREAK View Post

Thanks for looking. Someone is confused, ( my relatives ) I'll give it another shot when I talk with them again.
they may not be confused at all FREAK, according to the info from tclhd.

my grandmother told me about her education
at a little schoolhouse would now be the southeast corner of Blanco and Jackson Keller.

Nimitz is there now, and I remember when it was built.

wooda been late 1950s early 60s.

we lived a stones throw from there.

to the north where South Seas Apts is was mesquite and cactus.

and an old farmhouse. Uhr's place. old man ure.

to the South was the Baumberger Estate complete with peacocks and shetland ponies.

8 9 10 years old, we were all over all of it.

including the schoolhouse which was still *furnished*.

etc etc

Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Well ya'll gonna make a clown outa me...again. Here's pics of Goliad Road....only it ain't there. This one is from the front yard of the house. Avondale does not go to the expected Goliad Road but stops at Pyle. If you came down Pyle and got to Avondale and kept going you were in the lane to chicken barns. Goliad would have been where you see the brush/tree line in this pic, maybe as far as 75 yds. To the far right of the pic is where the Presbyterian Church was built, if you remember it being there.

This pic shows again Goliad that isn't there only this one is about 50 yds from where Goliad went down. These pics are dated October 1949.

Does anybody have old pics of Hot Wells Elementary School? I'm looking for old pics of the outside of the old 4 room schoolhouse. I have pics of the classes I was in but none of the outside of the building. I went by to take pics of the current building but it's not the same as 60 years ago.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:12 PM

263 posts, read 480,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Yep, the Old Corpus Christi Hiway at the time and if you were going to Corpus, you took Presa out of town and turned on the hiway going to south. If you turned north, you ended up along side of Brooks AFB where it dead ended and yes, that old bridge was dangerous even back when I was learning how to drive. When they put in Goliad Rd they made it intersect with that portion of the Old Corpus Hiway. It was later that Loop 13 was actually finished at Goliad. I remember all to vividly right after that opened we went out there to see it-it was a major event back then and we saw a wreck. Apparently a guy in a foreign sports car, MG or something like it, had wrapped it around a tree alongside of Lp 13 at Goliad. I got to see that the man had no head and the car at the drivers door was maybe a foot thick, his body was sticking up like a Popsicle. Pretty nasty for a kid to see. Before Lp13 was finished, you got to Brooks by going out Presa and catching the first part of Lp13 that went from Presa to Brooks. The main gate was just west of the base housing at that time. Once Lp13 was finished, they moved it towards the runway. The landing pattern put all air traffic right over the house. Per one of the pilots to my dad, they used our chicken barn to line up with the runway. I guess we were 2-3 miles north of Brooks.
I too remember traveling to Corpus on the old road,and I still see the wooded area to the left and the Brooks fence line on the right.What I also remember as a kid,going with my dad on Sat.mornings to HOLT MACH.to feed cattle the he raised for a Howrard Murphy,and also to tend to his horsesOn the east edge of now 410@SulferSrings rd.,a tunnel and ran from the plant ,under 410 and out to other piece of property belonging
to HOLT.On W.W.WhiteRd. ,there was an elementary school and next to that,was some kind of instalation.It had a row of houses,it looked industrial but hidden from public view.What was that?Does anybody know about this area?

Last edited by albert soliz; 02-21-2013 at 09:33 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 AM

847 posts, read 2,231,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post

Well ya'll gonna make a clown outa me...
trick or treat.......

Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default Old Corpus Christi Rd,

The year was 1968 on a dark spring Friday evening driving on old Corpus Christi Highway.
Driving down Goliad to Loop 13 there were barricades across the entrance to Old Corpus Christi Rd.
We were fifteen years old and cruising down Goliad Rd. So grown up we were.
So naturally we wanted to see why there were barricades up. Going around them the ancient road was dark and the surface very cracked and broken up, but we were fifteen years old. We were just curious , I suppose. Passing the barricades -Faster and faster began going Dan in his Dad's brand new Rambler Ambassador just bought from the dealership on Broadway next to Brackenridge Park.
We did not know the barricades were put there at Goliad rd blocking the entrance to Old Corpus Christi Rd. because Brooks AFB had extended the 10 ft. highway chain link fence to the east, directly across Old Corpus Christi Highway. So Dan had merely circumvented onto the road shoulder and around the edge of the orange and white striped wooden barricades to see what was going on. Why was this familiar Rd blocked off ?
So about 1/2 mile or so back we encountered the chain link fence the Govt. had put up across the old highway. I estimate going about 70 miles an hour. We were having a great time. Couldn't see the chain link. Until it was too late.
The big full size Rambler drove through the chain link fence effortlessly, exactly like in the action movies. The good times had immediately stopped however. Dan knew he was in deep doo-doo with his dad.
We stopped and examined the outside of the car.The fence was hard on the Rambler paint job.
With scrape marks down the sides and the vinyl top peeled back from the front of the car roof and the chrome trim gone also we drove back through the hole in the fence we had made and very somberly, wordlessly returned to Goliad rd and home.
Ironically, within five years Dan was in the Air Force OCS.

QUOTE=albert soliz;28359623]I too remember traveling to Corpus on the old road,and I still see the wooded area to the left and the Brooks fence line on the right.What I also remember as a kid,going with my dad on Sat.mornings to HOLT MACH.to feed cattle the he raised for a Howrard Murphy,and also to tend to his horsesOn the east edge of now 410@SulferSrings rd.,a tunnel and ran from the plant ,under 410 and out to other piece of property belonging
to HOLT.On W.W.WhiteRd. ,there was an elementary school and next to that,was some kind of instalation.It had a row of houses,it looked industrial but hidden from public view.What was that?Does anybody know about this area?[/quote]

Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
The year was 1968 on a dark spring Friday evening driving on old Corpus Christi Highway.
Driving down Goliad to Loop 13 there were barricades across the entrance to Old Corpus Christi Rd.
We were fifteen years old and cruising down Goliad Rd. So grown up we were.
So naturally we wanted to see why there were barricades up. Going around them the ancient road was dark and the surface very cracked and broken up, but we were fifteen years old. We were just curious , I suppose. Passing the barricades -Faster and faster began going Dan in his Dad's brand new Rambler Ambassador just bought from the dealership on Broadway next to Brackenridge Park.
We did not know the barricades were put there at Goliad rd blocking the entrance to Old Corpus Christi Rd. because Brooks AFB had extended the 10 ft. highway chain link fence to the east, directly across Old Corpus Christi Highway. So Dan had merely circumvented onto the road shoulder and around the edge of the orange and white striped wooden barricades to see what was going on. Why was this familiar Rd blocked off ?
So about 1/2 mile or so back we encountered the chain link fence the Govt. had put up across the old highway. I estimate going about 70 miles an hour. We were having a great time. Couldn't see the chain link. Until it was too late.
The big full size Rambler drove through the chain link fence effortlessly, exactly like in the action movies. The good times had immediately stopped however. Dan knew he was in deep doo-doo with his dad.
We stopped and examined the outside of the car.The fence was hard on the Rambler paint job.
With scrape marks down the sides and the vinyl top peeled back from the front of the car roof and the chrome trim gone also we drove back through the hole in the fence we had made and very somberly, wordlessly returned to Goliad rd and home.
Ironically, within five years Dan was in the Air Force OCS.

QUOTE=albert soliz;28359623]I too remember traveling to Corpus on the old road,and I still see the wooded area to the left and the Brooks fence line on the right.What I also remember as a kid,going with my dad on Sat.mornings to HOLT MACH.to feed cattle the he raised for a Howrard Murphy,and also to tend to his horsesOn the east edge of now 410@SulferSrings rd.,a tunnel and ran from the plant ,under 410 and out to other piece of property belonging
to HOLT.On W.W.WhiteRd. ,there was an elementary school and next to that,was some kind of instalation.It had a row of houses,it looked industrial but hidden from public view.What was that?Does anybody know about this area?
[/quote]

I've often said to myself when reading your posts in this thread, surely I must have known this person growing up. I spent many a night cruising Goliad Road when I was fifteen. Also in 1968. I love the history of this area. Trapper is also a treasure trove of history about this area.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default Snappy Bob Cruisin' Goliad Rd. @1968,

Who knows Snappy Bob we might have been acquaintances or even friends back in 1968? I went through
SAISD until the eleventh grade and was at Highlands High then.
I've often said to myself when reading your posts in this thread, surely I must have known this person growing up. I spent many a night cruising Goliad Road when I was fifteen. Also in 1968. I love the history of this area. Trapper is also a treasure trove of history about this area.[/quote]

Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Who knows Snappy Bob we might have been acquaintances or even friends back in 1968? I went through
SAISD until the eleventh grade and was at Highlands High then.

I've often said to myself when reading your posts in this thread, surely I must have known this person growing up. I spent many a night cruising Goliad Road when I was fifteen. Also in 1968. I love the history of this area. Trapper is also a treasure trove of history about this area.
[/quote]

I went through SAISD all through school also. Forbes, then first graduating class of CC Ball, then Connel Junior HIgh and on to Highlands High where I graduated in 71.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio