Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 06:57 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times

Advertisements

Ok this stuff about theatres made me think of some things. Two theatres were close together. The Olmos and the Laurel. I always thought of Laurel and Hardy for some reason. Maybe from another life! I think the Laurel showed "art" movies for awhile. They would release this flier of movies for the whole month. They would show Marx bros, Siddhartha, Steppenwolf, Casablanca, Clockwork Orange, Gimme Shelter. I would go often since I was living down there, and would end up having a beer or two at the Crystal Pistol. I think it was the Olmos where I saw "ROCKY". I also saw "Wait Until Dark" there for fifty cents. It was a really scary movie especially when EVERYTHING WENT BLACK!!! What ever happened to that movie?? It was fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:02 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,839,572 times
The Laurel and the Woodlawn are the related theatres. Both were designed by John Eberson, the architect of the last Masjestic theatre. Eberson created the atmospheric theatre, the appearance of stars and clouds. When the economics of theatres changed during the depression he and his son Drew switched to Art Deco. The Laurel was a free standing theatre and the Woodlawn was in a shopping center. But the designs were similar. He placed a lot of imphasis on rfestrooms and made them modern and clean. Eberson designed 7 theatres in Texas, 3 were in San Antonio and the only modern theatre he designed in Texas were on San Antonio. San Antonio was important in those days because it was the biggest city in the biggest state.

On the other hand, the Olmos was built by Louis Santikos, whose son was to become the future king of San Antonio theatre owneership with the passing of Karl Hoblitzel of Interstate Theatre in the late 1960's.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Well Cat, seems like Prince was on the old theaters lists. Uptown is on Fred Rd 1/2 way Between I-10 and 5 points. Been converted into a church or something! It was the sister theater to the Harlandale theater on S. Flores. GY will have info. The photo of the Uptown is in GBNF stuff! The theater is in close proximity to the old Pianta Shop. The man who did the original plaster work in the Majestic Theater. Mud could tell you!! The Prince was probably near East side on Commerce or Houston near downtown probably. Pianta was a couple blks south of the theater I believe. Rin Tin Tin I loved that dog!
The uptown has been the parish hall of St Ann's church for quite a long time.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:57 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
I've seen mention of an injury or death that occurred at Playland Park on the Rocket Roller Coaster. Does anyone know if this was true and about when it happened?

Playland closed sometime in the 80's and a friend of mine actually purchased some items from the auction. I read an article in the mid 70's that the owners son was arrested, along with a few other park employees for gaming violations.
It was headed downhill at that time. Sad.....

Old 07-04-2009, 06:44 AM

14 posts, read 55,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I've seen mention of an injury or death that occurred at Playland Park on the Rocket Roller Coaster. Does anyone know if this was true and about when it happened?

Playland closed sometime in the 80's and a friend of mine actually purchased some items from the auction. I read an article in the mid 70's that the owners son was arrested, along with a few other park employees for gaming violations.
It was headed downhill at that time. Sad.....

I know a couple of people who did have minor neck injuries and such from riding the Rocket. There was a story going around in the late 70s that someone died on it, I think it was a heart attack, tho.
The one thing about the Rocket was there were no mid-run brakes, as is found on most modern coasters, slowing the cars down for the sharp turns. Couple that with the fact that the turns were not banked very much, would tend to cause one's head to lurch pretty hard to one side when going through the turns.
Even now, since it was moved to Pennsylvania's Knoebel's Amusement Park, the ride has remained the same as when it was first built in 1947. Talking to several "coaster freaks", I have been told that one of the reasons that The Rocket (now called The Phoenix)has made the Top 10 lists of many coaster enthusiast's favorites lists, is due to the fact that there are no brakes, so it's non-stop action from start to finish.
I posted a couple of links in one of the Playland Park threads, which shows on-ride (POV) footage of the coaster as it is now.

As to the "criminal" allegations, I too heard many of those stories while growing up in S.A.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninSAstuckinGA View Post
I know a couple of people who did have minor neck injuries and such from riding the Rocket. There was a story going around in the late 70s that someone died on it, I think it was a heart attack, tho.
The one thing about the Rocket was there were no mid-run brakes, as is found on most modern coasters, slowing the cars down for the sharp turns. Couple that with the fact that the turns were not banked very much, would tend to cause one's head to lurch pretty hard to one side when going through the turns.
Even now, since it was moved to Pennsylvania's Knoebel's Amusement Park, the ride has remained the same as when it was first built in 1947. Talking to several "coaster freaks", I have been told that one of the reasons that The Rocket (now called The Phoenix)has made the Top 10 lists of many coaster enthusiast's favorites lists, is due to the fact that there are no brakes, so it's non-stop action from start to finish.
I posted a couple of links in one of the Playland Park threads, which shows on-ride (POV) footage of the coaster as it is now.

As to the "criminal" allegations, I too heard many of those stories while growing up in S.A.
You did? You posted pics? Can you post the link here? I know someone who would LOVE to see pictures of it rebuilt somewhere.

Thanks for all this info.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I also saw "Wait Until Dark" there for fifty cents. It was a really scary movie especially when EVERYTHING WENT BLACK!!! What ever happened to that movie?? It was fun!
We saw "Wait Until Dark" at the Theater at RAFB under the Taj Mahal. I was probably in the 7th grade? THAT was one of the scariest movies I have ever seen. We've seen it several times on DVD. It's a great thriller to pull out for the teenagers for a late night. Even with all the poorly made slasher movies(ie sensational but stupid), this one ranks really high with my kids. Classic cast! Thanks for bringing that up. Need to go dig it out of boxes!

Old 07-04-2009, 01:03 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,839,572 times
wCat: Playland Park had a second park back in the forties and early fifties. It was near the original Mission Ball Park and Mission Conception. As far as I know this is where the accident occurred. My brother was suppose to go to ther southside palyland with some church members, but homework interferred. He stayed home and a member of the group was either killed or seriously injured when the roller coaster jumped the tracks.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
wCat: Playland Park had a second park back in the forties and early fifties. It was near the original Mission Ball Park and Mission Conception. As far as I know this is where the accident occurred. My brother was suppose to go to ther southside palyland with some church members, but homework interferred. He stayed home and a member of the group was either killed or seriously injured when the roller coaster jumped the tracks.
I posted info on this before GY and Cat. Think it was River View Park. Grew up seeing it all the time. Just north of old Mission Stadium on Mission Rd. Had an arch at the entrance with the name "River View" I think. Weeded up with remnants of a sling swing ride. There was an old house back there. I went in there more than once over the years actually even went in the house once. Couple elderly ladies there I believe. The story I read said the owner of Playland Park started in the biz with a cross dressing partner. Originally starting a park opposite side of Broadway from the well known Park we knew. Military visitors would get rowdy WWII ish time period. Neighborhood complaints led to closing or an arguement between the partners. Oh , Johnson I believe was the Playlands owner name. He built "Playland Park" at it's well known location. The other fella opened the little "River View" Park which apparently had a not so family oriented reputation. I never saw it open even as far back as when we attended games at Mission Stadium. When C.P.S bought the land it all diappeared under asphalt I guess. GBNF!!

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...tonio-550.html

Last edited by SATX56; 07-04-2009 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 07-04-2009, 02:58 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
The Rocket is now called the "Phoenix"!!
Ride Rehab: Old Amusement Park Attractions Ride Again at Knoebels | Baltimore City Paper

Phoenix Roller Coaster - Knoebels Amusement Park & Resort

http://www.offroaders.com/Destinatio.../Dcp_59207.jpg

http://www.offroaders.com/Destinatio...e-phoenix.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio