Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM

235 posts, read 423,908 times

Advertisements

i remember that comic book place too. went there a few times. my friend was more into comics than me, but i would go in with him and 'browse around'. remember the Handy Dan that was at fred road and gill road? (which ran in front of handy dan). my brother worked at this store for a while. he made enough money to buy his first VW beetle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 01:55 PM

here are some photos of woodlawn lake i recently took. there are also some photos of what the public swimming pool now looks like. enjoy!

Woodlawn Lake Community Pool 2013 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Woodlawn Lake Community Pool 2013 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Josephine Tobin Drive 2013 Photo by Darryl_Glen_Pearson | Photobucket

Old 03-31-2013, 02:18 PM

136 posts, read 331,786 times
Speaking of bridges, any of you remember crossing the "Boogie Bridge" across the rail yard north of Sherman and New Braunfels? We called it the Boogie Bridge because it moved around so much as you crossed it, and the more cars on it the more it moved. Scary ride, and I walked over it once on a dare and wasn't sure I was gonna make it over. Long gone, but absolutely never forgotten.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post
Cano's!! OMG, do i remembe that. i spent a lot of time in there eating their food. it was THAT good. especially the bean rolls. sometimes i would go ther with a friend of mine. we had been collecting soda pop bottles all day. after turning them in, we would head to Cano's. i would sit and order bean rolls till they were coming outta my ears! wow. what great times.

I ate MANY a grest meal at Canos. The Cano family were all very nice folks. Henry Cano died young a few years ago.

The beanrolls were a nickel apiece, and the tacos were fifteen cents in the early 60s when I first discovered them. It was only to go food then. They took over the washateria next door, and made it into a dining room. When I would take people to eat at Canos, they would usually make a face at the way the place looked, but the food always won them over, and they always wanted to go back.

Remember Chicken Haven right across the street from Canos? They cooked up some very good chicken. It later became China Haven when it changed hands, and they featured Chinese food. It is now a parking lot for La Fogata.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:51 PM

it was called "the rose". i used to do a lot of dancing there. also, at denim and diamonds on lockhill-selma; and midnight rodeo on perrin-beitel and thousand oaks. there was another dance place in the late 70's early 80's on austin hwy. it was in terrell hills, but i cannot recall the name.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:03 PM

Paul's barber shop used to be on eland drive, right off of vance jackson. this was back in the 60's. there was also a bar called The Hut Lounge, next to the barber shop. the lounge closed sometime later, but pauls survived. he still cuts hair at The 210 Barber Shop, where the old Dellview Model Market was; but he is on the other(north end) of this strip center. he is next to the hambutger place(Freddy's, I believe)(Freddy's used to be the old Cano's back in the 60's). i still get my haircut there.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 PM

that is my old stomping ground. Buy-Rite Supermarket was owned by old man Larms. i used to get haircuts at the same barber shop. i remember the lady, but do not know her name. the Texas was owned by old man Estes. his son, Leon, went to school at Lee, and ran it for a while. the car wash at lively and west ave. used to be just an old empty lot for years. we had a lot of fun in that lot. and next to that lot was a service station; and there was another service station on west ave. and cherry ridge. the one on cherry ridge is still standing, but is/was an car a/c place. the one on trudell and lively was knocked down and a convenience store still occupies that spot today. down the road, north on west ave., and over the tracks, past arroyo vista, was a place on the right side that was the west ave. golf/driving range. i used to hunt with my BB gun back behind that course. and at west ave. and jackson keller where HEB now sits, was just an empty piece of land. it was fenced, and had a name on the fence, but i do not recall. there was a huge house that stood on that hill, which was behind the now, newly constructed, drainage ditch behind HEB. you could not see the house, until you climbed the fence, and walked up the old driveway, to the house. you can still see where the house used to sit if you drive loop 410 east, and as you are passing over west ave, look to the right where you pass the drainage ditch, and you will see a huge piece of land, with some trees, where the main house and property was. and where lively dead ended into west ave(where the Coors building was built), there was also an open lot there as well, that ran all the wayto the east part of lively and Neer.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:44 PM

do you recall the brackenridge horse rides were across from that station? i used to ride the horses with my dad and uncle. they fed and kept the horses there on the spot. my uncle lost his wallet while riding one day. never found it.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post
that is my old stomping ground. Buy-Rite Supermarket was owned by old man Larms. i used to get haircuts at the same barber shop. i remember the lady, but do not know her name. the Texas was owned by old man Estes. his son, Leon, went to school at Lee, and ran it for a while. the car wash at lively and west ave. used to be just an old empty lot for years. we had a lot of fun in that lot. and next to that lot was a service station; and there was another service station on west ave. and cherry ridge. the one on cherry ridge is still standing, but is/was an car a/c place. the one on trudell and lively was knocked down and a convenience store still occupies that spot today. down the road, north on west ave., and over the tracks, past arroyo vista, was a place on the right side that was the west ave. golf/driving range. i used to hunt with my BB gun back behind that course. and at west ave. and jackson keller where HEB now sits, was just an empty piece of land. it was fenced, and had a name on the fence, but i do not recall. there was a huge house that stood on that hill, which was behind the now, newly constructed, drainage ditch behind HEB. you could not see the house, until you climbed the fence, and walked up the old driveway, to the house. you can still see where the house used to sit if you drive loop 410 east, and as you are passing over west ave, look to the right where you pass the drainage ditch, and you will see a huge piece of land, with some trees, where the main house and property was. and where lively dead ended into west ave(where the Coors building was built), there was also an open lot there as well, that ran all the wayto the east part of lively and Neer.
I got my haircuts at the barber shop in Bartlett Center where Buy Rite was located. It was owned and operated by a great guy named Frank Baros. The gas station that is now a convenience store across the street from Bartlett Center was I Chapa's Texaco. Louie Schafer owned the Enco station across Trudell from the Texaco, and the Phillips 66 staion at Cherry Ridge was owned by Woody Taylor. Also in the Bartlett Center was the Coley garage, Ebens Bar B Q, and Anderson Hardware. There was a dry cleaner next door to Frank's barber shop.

The golf course was called Joe Moore Jr.'s. The property where HEB is now was Ed Finck's. There was a Star gas station across Jackson Keller from the Finck property. The Star gas station was razed, and a Sunglo Fina took it's place. Across West Ave. from the Fina was Allen's Garage, and Welding. Across Jackson Keller from Allen's was a Sinclair (later Arco) station.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM

47 posts, read 87,734 times
You must remember the KNOT HOLE Saloon. FOOSE BALL, POOL and ancient pinball machines. Peter Framton comes alive!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio