Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM

17 posts, read 47,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Never had a flat top but recall buying a can of that crap from Gibson's on Military Drive back in the 60's. I hear you on the "just a little off the sides" falling on deaf ears. Most of my haircuts were at Lloyd's in Sprott's Variety center on Pleasanton Rd.
Was Lloyd's on S. Flores before it was on Pleasanton? The name sounds familiar. I almost always got my hair cut on S. Flores and I am trying to remember all the barbershops where I got my hair cut when I was younger. By 1960 or so, I always got my hair cut at Joe Newman's on S. Flores. Went there until I moved to El Paso in 1974.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 05:06 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclhd View Post
Was Lloyd's on S. Flores before it was on Pleasanton? The name sounds familiar. I almost always got my hair cut on S. Flores and I am trying to remember all the barbershops where I got my hair cut when I was younger. By 1960 or so, I always got my hair cut at Joe Newman's on S. Flores. Went there until I moved to El Paso in 1974.
Not that I'm aware of. My brother and dad and I went to Lloyd's thru the 50's and mid 60's. My dad and Lloyd along with others played music together. Jam sessions we called them. There was a barber shop just north of Southcross on S. Flores for many years. Shoe repair shop and cleaners next door. Other long standing Barber shops on S. Flores were at Huff and Flores, the old Barber college in the 60's next to Paramount Motors. (Old Sommers Drug store Bldg). Another just south of Military Drive 1 1/2 blocks next to old Stanley's Ice House. Where was Newman's?

Old 04-10-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John911 View Post
My Grandfather repaired TV's on the side, something I found out after finding the business sign complete with the WA3-4xxx phone number on it behind his old workshop in his backyard. Do not know if this was his place of business or if he had a storefront. But I do remember his workbench at his workshop though- full of tools, testers, probes, meters, scopes, tubes and more tubes.

I certainly remember going to Sherman's with him and another shop, more than likely Olson's but not too sure.
Sherman's had most everything. I went to a little place called German Electronics at the base of the Emily Morgan (Medical arts Bldg). Needed a DIN plug. Modern Electrotex was at 5 Points. Later moved to Hildebrand next to I-10. I lived in Radio Shack.... I remember when Sterling Electronics opened on Military Dr probably around 68' (Hemisfair time). Gemtronics was behind Cool Crest Mini Putt on Fred. Rd.

Anyone Remember Sam Cherry's T.V. Repair on S.Flores 50's and early 60's?? Just south of Division and Little's Boot Shop.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Anyone Remember Sam Cherry's T.V. Repair on S.Flores 50's and early 60's?? Just south of Division and Little's Boot Shop.
Remember him very well. I used to walk past his shop every day on the way to school when we lived on West Hart. He also fixed some old radios and TVs for us. He was a very friendly and helpful person.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Remember him very well. I used to walk past his shop every day on the way to school when we lived on West Hart. He also fixed some old radios and TVs for us. He was a very friendly and helpful person.
Yeah he was a kind ol' fellow for sure. He lived on Southcross. You must remember Sapp's Garage, Malone's Hardware, Cuda's, Mr Kiel's Humble/Enco. Blanco Pharmacy later. I went to kindergarten on E.Hart. Grandparents lived on Koepke.

Watch repair shop on Hart. Walter Keller family on the other end.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. My brother and dad and I went to Lloyd's thru the 50's and mid 60's. My dad and Lloyd along with others played music together. Jam sessions we called them. There was a barber shop just north of Southcross on S. Flores for many years. Shoe repair shop and cleaners next door. Other long standing Barber shops on S. Flores were at Huff and Flores, the old Barber college in the 60's next to Paramount Motors. (Old Sommers Drug store Bldg). Another just south of Military Drive 1 1/2 blocks next to old Stanley's Ice House. Where was Newman's?
Newman's was at 5611 S Flores if I read the address correctly off of Google Street View. Across form the old Winn's.
The earliest I remember Joe Newman worked for Emil Sohr in the Scheh Pharmacy building on the corner of S Flores and Stonewall. When that building was renovated Emil Sohr move his shop to Pleasanton Road. Shortly after that Emil Sohr became ill and closed shop. For a while Joe Newman worked in the shop you mentioned just north of Southcross. He then took over the shop at 5611 which he had for many years until he passed away in the mid to late 70s.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Newman's was at 5611 S Flores if I read the address correctly off of Google Street View. Across form the old Winn's.
The earliest I remember Joe Newman worked for Emil Sohr in the Scheh Pharmacy building on the corner of S Flores and Stonewall. When that building was renovated Emil Sohr move his shop to Pleasanton Road. Shortly after that Emil Sohr became ill and closed shop. For a while Joe Newman worked in the shop you mentioned just north of Southcross. He then took over the shop at 5611 which he had for many years until he passed away in the mid to late 70s.
Oh ..O.K. that was way back. I remember a barber in there. Between the fire station and the old Theater. Where the "Papa Jim's" is now used to be I think it was Pleasant Village Inn. Red/White next to it and Southcross. I lived on Harlan between Flores and Pleasanton Rd. 50's and early 60's. Hung out in Scheh's Pharmacy a lot.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 PM

47 posts, read 87,755 times
Does anybody remember Newby's? It was trendy. I had really long hair and needed it cut but I was AFRAID!! Can anybody remember being afraid of a HAIRCUT! Silly. I asked him what he was going to do and he said DON"T WORRY YOU WILL LOVE IT!! I ran out as fast as I could. I ended up going to MERRITS at CENTRAL PARK . I liked those guy's. There was a woman who cut hair there too. I liked the way she cut my hair. Barbers are not all alike!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 PM

265 posts, read 534,415 times
Quote:
Yeah he was a kind ol' fellow for sure. He lived on Southcross. You must remember Sapp's Garage, Malone's Hardware, Cuda's, Mr Kiel's Humble/Enco. Blanco Pharmacy later. I went to kindergarten on E.Hart. Grandparents lived on Koepke.

Watch repair shop on Hart. Walter Keller family on the other end.
Walter Keller Company (Battery & Auto Electric) 1211 Pleasanton Rd.
Gone but not forgotten.

The Grandson of the founder ran the place up until they closed. Brought them a lot of business over the years.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:47 AM

4 posts, read 9,438 times
Anyone remember the the Uhaul truck that used to be on top of a pole at Vance Jackson and 410.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio