Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,763,719 times

Advertisements

Jeez Mud, just about the time I think there's no way you can pull another one outa yer hat, here ya post a pic of a car I've wondered about since the first time I raced at the drags. That 32 has been a semi nightmare for decades. It was my first time to run the drags and I ended up running one time against that 32 coupe. It was bobbed in the back like my 34 with the red front end end going into flames into the yellow- a really dandy paint job back then. I never knew the guys name but was told he was from Alamo Heights. Needless to say, even though my coupe launched hard, I got my clock cleaned. Seems like he had to spot me 4 or 5 lengths but still had me by the 1/8 mile. And I've hurt passengers from launching in my coupe. I had heard he was running some pretty deep rear gears like 5.14's but never got to really know anything about the car. Only saw him once at the drags though but the memory of getting beat so bad still lives on. Now I know who it was and what he was running. Jeez, even Melony Moran didn't beat me that bad and she was running 6 dueces on the big 394 Olds engine in her 36.

SA Speed Shop was on 35 when I had them do the work on my car. Seems like they had just made the move. I don't remember the guys name but he was real friendly and chatted with me a long time about how to get more out of the car at the drags without spending the bank. He showed me how to build a cold box from an ice chest that rode inside the car filled with dry ice. That dropped the intake temps by about 40F. It was a very noticeable difference. I changed the tires to a lower profile and wider. I got the tires from them and they ended up being Unitreds, if you remember those. I went with VP Racing fuel instead of ethyl pump gas. I could then run the dizzy at 15 degrees and not get the hammering. He showed me how to change the springs in the dizzy and a few other little things that all together added up to a lot. He even sold me some Iridium spark plugs. Back then the Mallory dual point ignition was burning a set of ACs up about every 1500 miles. That stopped with the Iridiums and there was an actual difference in the buttdyno too. I don't remember the guy and that's a shame cause he really helped me a lot with the car.

As always, you come up with the most off the wall stuff that I remember- thanks for the memory jog and walk down memory lane...again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 PM

847 posts, read 2,217,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Jeez Mud, just about the time I think there's no way you can pull another one outa yer hat, here ya post a pic of a car I've wondered about since the first time I raced at the drags. That 32 has been a semi nightmare for decades. It was my first time to run the drags and I ended up running one time against that 32 coupe. It was bobbed in the back like my 34 with the red front end end going into flames into the yellow- a really dandy paint job back then. I never knew the guys name but was told he was from Alamo Heights. Needless to say, even though my coupe launched hard, I got my clock cleaned. Seems like he had to spot me 4 or 5 lengths but still had me by the 1/8 mile. And I've hurt passengers from launching in my coupe. I had heard he was running some pretty deep rear gears like 5.14's but never got to really know anything about the car. Only saw him once at the drags though but the memory of getting beat so bad still lives on. Now I know who it was and what he was running. Jeez, even Melony Moran didn't beat me that bad and she was running 6 dueces on the big 394 Olds engine in her 36.

SA Speed Shop was on 35 when I had them do the work on my car. Seems like they had just made the move. I don't remember the guys name but he was real friendly and chatted with me a long time about how to get more out of the car at the drags without spending the bank. He showed me how to build a cold box from an ice chest that rode inside the car filled with dry ice. That dropped the intake temps by about 40F. It was a very noticeable difference. I changed the tires to a lower profile and wider. I got the tires from them and they ended up being Unitreds, if you remember those. I went with VP Racing fuel instead of ethyl pump gas. I could then run the dizzy at 15 degrees and not get the hammering. He showed me how to change the springs in the dizzy and a few other little things that all together added up to a lot. He even sold me some Iridium spark plugs. Back then the Mallory dual point ignition was burning a set of ACs up about every 1500 miles. That stopped with the Iridiums and there was an actual difference in the buttdyno too. I don't remember the guy and that's a shame cause he really helped me a lot with the car.

As always, you come up with the most off the wall stuff that I remember- thanks for the memory jog and walk down memory lane...again.
I had typed in a much longer reply with some more pix
but something glitched and it all went somewhere
over the rainbow is my guess.

retype a couple sentences...........

great story on *the race*.

tell me more about Melony.

sounds like the Speed Shop helped you a lot.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,763,719 times
Melanie was a little thing, maybe 5'1". She did her own work. It wasn't anything unusual to see her standing on top of the valve covers working on the intake or dizzy. As I recall, she drove a 36 Ford coupe but I'm sure the engine was a 394 Olds with 6 dueces. I ran D Gas class and she ran A class gas. I'm thinking Jimmy L ran A/A class with his 32. Anyway, she was hard to beat. The car went down the strip with only one front tire on the ground. She was a south sider and it seems like she was from your neighborhood but I really don't know. I remember once that Hands decided to help her with her carbs and before he could touch anything she was climbing up his back hollering not to touch anything! She was a firecracker. I have no clue what happened to her or her car. After I sold my coupe I pretty much dropped out of the drags. My replacement car, a 60 Chevy convertible with a 348, Powerglide, and 3:08 gears couldn't hardly get out of its own way. I kinda lost the need for speed but gained an admiration for the girls.......ya know whata mean!
My running bud of the day also raced a 59 red Impala and then changed it over to a Biscayne to lose some weight. I know he has a lot of pics from the day and once he gets over back surgery I think I'm gonna raid his albums. If I succeed and live I'll post some of his pics. I don't suppose you knew any of the Hurley boys from Pleasanton did you?
In all reality if it wasn't for the guys at SA Speed I probably would have just built a shade tree car and more than likely junked it. It wasn't until I realized a standard clutch wasn't going to hold up to the Corvette engine that was given to me that maybe I could do some good at the drags, thanks to the guys from S A Speed. If I showed up at the drags, winning D Gas was no problem. My little coupe could fly with some of the best of them.
Did you have a car that you raced?

Old 03-06-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Melanie was a little thing, maybe 5'1". She did her own work. It wasn't anything unusual to see her standing on top of the valve covers working on the intake or dizzy. As I recall, she drove a 36 Ford coupe but I'm sure the engine was a 394 Olds with 6 dueces. I ran D Gas class and she ran A class gas. I'm thinking Jimmy L ran A/A class with his 32. Anyway, she was hard to beat. The car went down the strip with only one front tire on the ground. She was a south sider and it seems like she was from your neighborhood but I really don't know. I remember once that Hands decided to help her with her carbs and before he could touch anything she was climbing up his back hollering not to touch anything! She was a firecracker. I have no clue what happened to her or her car. After I sold my coupe I pretty much dropped out of the drags. My replacement car, a 60 Chevy convertible with a 348, Powerglide, and 3:08 gears couldn't hardly get out of its own way. I kinda lost the need for speed but gained an admiration for the girls.......ya know whata mean!
My running bud of the day also raced a 59 red Impala and then changed it over to a Biscayne to lose some weight. I know he has a lot of pics from the day and once he gets over back surgery I think I'm gonna raid his albums. If I succeed and live I'll post some of his pics. I don't suppose you knew any of the Hurley boys from Pleasanton did you?
In all reality if it wasn't for the guys at SA Speed I probably would have just built a shade tree car and more than likely junked it. It wasn't until I realized a standard clutch wasn't going to hold up to the Corvette engine that was given to me that maybe I could do some good at the drags, thanks to the guys from S A Speed. If I showed up at the drags, winning D Gas was no problem. My little coupe could fly with some of the best of them.
Did you have a car that you raced?
thanks for all the info. interesting.

no car that I raced (at the drag strip).

had a 46 Chevy Aerosedan with 450hp big small block for 28 years.
406 torque motor

sold it about 8 years ago when VP went to 4.50 a gallon.
(used some of that money to build the sickle I ride today. runs 11.90 et at 115 mph. street tire)

in the late 60s I went out to double eagle a lot with my friend Shoey.

he had the fastest Sportster in town (if you don't count the Thomas Brothers machine).

we always stopped at the airport on the way out to tank up with aviation fuel.

I was just along for fun on my 67 Triumph.

he really got pissed when Arlene showed him up on her Kawasaki.

double pissed - woman beat him. on a rice bike.

she owned the first Kawasaki dealership in SA.

her husband Jack, RIP, he was a whole nother story. what a character.

Shoey races motorcycles to this day.

as of today he rides the second fastest sit on cycle in the world. 269 mph.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,359,129 times
Default Very Cool Mud,

Wow! An 11.9 E.T Harley ! Grip those handlebars tight or you will fly off of the back end
of the thing !!!
It is like flying !
269 M.P.H. achieved is absolutely nuts, on two wheels . Pun intended. What model of Motorcycle was it
that attained this speed ? Looks as though Shoey is in the record books, to me.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:57 PM

11,573 posts, read 13,884,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
269 M.P.H. achieved is absolutely nuts, on two wheels . Pun intended. What model of Motorcycle was it
that attained this speed ? Looks as though Shoey is in the record books, to me.
The certificate says: Suzuki Hayabusa

Old 03-07-2014, 07:35 AM

Default Right Snake,

I see it now, the second time around. Suzuki. I remember when Suzuki first came out with their
four valves per cylinder engine design. Always quick since, difficult to beat. Difficult to believe they can achieve 200 mph straight from the manufacturer. Fast,fast,fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The certificate says: Suzuki Hayabusa

Old 03-12-2014, 05:04 PM

can't quote from part one, so -

after searching for 15 years, finally found a picture of the twins home...........

Old 03-12-2014, 05:12 PM

Default No,

Don't know of the house out Vance Jackson.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 PM

3 posts, read 8,703 times
Does anyone remember that House or Mansion that was off 410/Vance Jackson. Where the bank is now or the Texas blood bank. I remember seeing (the name) McCombs or was Hemphill inside? It was in the 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio