Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 09:02 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Attachment 159447 Don't know what happened but the second time around it has worked.
Huckster
Yeah that's better, thanks! Looks a little like what they've done at Espada. I remember what it was like before they changed the course of the river. Took the little ones fishing just above the dam Sunday afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 09:44 PM

457 posts, read 661,105 times
Default ..not gone, but forgotten?

( dum - dum - dum - dum...the background music to a mystery..)

It is still there, but, what it is! The large, multi-story, brick building on the Southwest corner
of Mistletoe and Breeden. It is reputed to be a 70+ year old government (?) structure that was some
sort of intelligence facility during (and after?) WW2.

Seems strange to find a large, non-nondescript brick building in the middle of a residential neighborhood.
(a sneaked peek in a lower level window reveals part of a very large, clearly industrial - grade machine of some sort... (not peeping-tomism, merely glancing at an uncovered window )

Anyone have any ideas???

Old 10-18-2015, 11:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
I can only assume you mean the old Bellhouse building. It looks like it should be a warehouse. A lady by the name of Alice Bellhouse lived there and I assume she was part of the family that built it in 1922. It has 5 bedrooms and 5 full baths with 2 half baths. For it's day, it was pretty opulent. The house has over 13,000 sq ft. I haven't been in the house in ages but the master suite had a raised platform for the canopy bed and the bedroom was the size of most small houses, probably 8-900 sq ft. The master bath was just as opulent. It was pretty dated when I was in it. I found the listing online. The pics shows it has been majorly remodeled since I was in it. The staircase went up to a landing and split going up each side, like you saw in the old Hollywood movies. It was wide enough to drive a car up it, probably 12 foot. When I was there, the kitchen was out of the 20's and pretty much a disaster. You almost needed a map to navigate the incredibly HUGE rooms.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 05:44 AM..

Old 10-19-2015, 03:34 AM

Trapper,

Thanks for the quick response. Wow, this is some house! You are right about it looking like it should be a warehouse.
(Do you suppose someone could pass for being a potential buyer to get a look inside?) Obviously, this place ( I feel
calling it a "house" hardly applies. Mansion, maybe?) It appears to be occupied, judging from the listing photos.
Yes, it does look like it belongs in a Hollywood movie. Looking at the home prices for that area, the family should have
bought back when they were rented for $400 - $600 a month...(that was a LONG time ago!) Thanks again for the info.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Trapper,

Thanks for the quick response. Wow, this is some house! You are right about it looking like it should be a warehouse.
(Do you suppose someone could pass for being a potential buyer to get a look inside?) Obviously, this place ( I feel
calling it a "house" hardly applies. Mansion, maybe?) It appears to be occupied, judging from the listing photos.
Yes, it does look like it belongs in a Hollywood movie. Looking at the home prices for that area, the family should have
bought back when they were rented for $400 - $600 a month...(that was a LONG time ago!) Thanks again for the info.
Bud,
Follow Trapper's link. Click on the the thumbnails just under the house photo and take a grand tour of the interior.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:39 PM

6 posts, read 15,851 times
Found article about the death at Super Water Slides off 281 in 1980:
Clipping from The Odessa American on Newspapers.com

Old 10-20-2015, 03:29 PM

20 posts, read 40,151 times
Default Cockroach on the Butter Krust sign (photo)

Ha ha ha ha!
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-20151020_155902.jpeg  

Old 10-22-2015, 05:43 PM

Dine. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:59 PM

Trapper,

The building was originally built for some purpose other than a residence. We lived down the block in the early
1950's. The building was some sort of office (telephone exchange?) at that time. I recall there was a large plaque
(I don't recall the content) next to the door the stairs led to. As a kid, I paid no attention. (My attention was devoted to the Mom and Pop grocery on the NW corner of Flores and Woodlawn, and/or the train tracks west on Mistletoe.)
My younger sister, says she remembers there was some sort of mapping service located there in the later 50's.

Interesting building, and would make a terrific 13,000+ SqFt, three story mansion for a total recluse! However, the 1.9 million price tag is a bit steep, considering the Bexar Appraisal Dist is carrying it at $400K+/-. Hey, at that price, I'd have to check petty cash! (Yeah, Right!}

Old 10-22-2015, 06:11 PM

Mapping was Tobin's business maybe they were there. Aerial surveys and such. They were on Flores just north of Alamo at one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio