Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 12:20 AM

457 posts, read 660,819 times

Advertisements

Rancho,

Where were the State and the Joy theaters located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 05:51 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Rancho,

Where were the State and the Joy theaters located?
Although I remember the Joy theater, I cannot for sure tell you where it was
located other than downtown.

I do remember the State Theater. The entire block of buildings are gone.

I’m including a current photo of where certain places were located.
I hope it makes some sense.

BTW:
Have a Safe & Happy New Year’s celebration to you & everyone on the forum !

Old 12-30-2015, 09:09 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,130,639 times
The Joy was located at 221 W.Houston St.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:19 PM

457 posts, read 660,819 times
Aha, now I remember the State..in the Stowers furnature building!
BTW, the attached photo indicates the Long Horn Saloon across the street from Wolfe and Marx.....
it was actually one block further west.

I second the New Years best wishes...

Old 12-31-2015, 08:03 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Aha, now I remember the State..in the Stowers furnature building!
BTW, the attached photo indicates the Long Horn Saloon across the street from Wolfe and Marx.....
it was actually one block further west.

I second the New Years best wishes...
The attached photo was a reference & after 50+ years, the memory tends to go
off a block or two.

BTW, the Long Horn Saloon was actually the Buckhorn Saloon.

(This is a copy of an old postcard, they are still available for $3)

I was very young but this was the way I remembered the interior.
Thanks to Prohibition, the Buckhorn was unable to serve alcoholic beverages.
The owner used the vast collection of horns, antlers & jars of rattlesnake rattles
to stay in business. These were used to create works of art which are still around.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:35 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,889,593 times
I don't know if it was mentioned...Texas ice houses. Mr M's was supposed to be a like business but they all turned to 7-11s or neighborhood stop and rob stores. I haven't been down there for a couple of years but lived there for 10 in my formidable years prior to moving to MD. I found the north to be more to my liking for weather alone as well as more employment opportunities.

Texas theater...I was saddened to find out it was demolished. The Mexican ladies who sold tamales on street corners around Christmas...they were good and cheap. Being able to go plinking with .22 and shotgun off Poteet Road without a sheriff wanting to know what we were doing. My friend's mother was a manager at GC Murphy's at Wonderland mall and we would get free Icees while there. The Castle up around that area. I don't know what that building was but it looked to be someone's house at one time. It was spooky at night.

I saw the USAA bldg mentioned. I was a bricklayer up north and moved south in the winter to work...we built an apartment complex across the street from there. Flore's store.

Was anyone ever in the Girl/Boy Scouts and remember HEB Foundation Camp out off Hwy 90 past Hondo?

Too many state parks in the area...Pedernales was my favorite. My dad was a park policeman on the river walk - tough job, right?

Last edited by armory; 12-31-2015 at 11:58 AM..

Old 12-31-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I don't know if it was mentioned...Texas ice houses. Mr M's was supposed to be a like business but they all turned to 7-11s or neighborhood stop and rob stores. I haven't been down there for a couple of years but lived there for 10 in my formidable years prior to moving to MD. I found the north to be more to my liking for weather alone as well as more employment opportunities.

Texas theater...I was saddened to find out it was demolished. The Mexican ladies who sold tamales on street corners around Christmas...they were good and cheap. Being able to go plinking with .22 and shotgun off Poteet Road without a sheriff wanting to know what we were doing. My friend's mother was a manager at GC Murphy's at Wonderland mall and we would get free Icees while there. The Castle up around that area. I don't know what that building was but it looked to be someone's house at one time. It was spooky at night.

I saw the USAA bldg mentioned. I was a bricklayer up north and moved south in the winter to work...we built an apartment complex across the street from there. Flore's store.

Was anyone ever in the Girl/Boy Scouts and remember HEB Foundation Camp out off Hwy 90 past Hondo?

Too many state parks in the area...Pedernales was my favorite. My dad was a park policeman on the river walk - tough job, right?
I was always under the impression that the "M" at Mr. M Ice Houses stood for Metzgers Dairies. I was told Metzgers owned Mr. M.

Long after Mr. M left San Antonio, I moved to Garland Tx, and there was a Mr. M Ice house right near my house.

Of all the downtown theatres in San Antonio, the Texas was my favorite. I was so disappointed when they tore it down. I saw so many movies there, and worked there in 1975. Standing in front of the Texas in 1975 looking to the left you saw the Majestic, and you could see part of the Empire on St, Mary's St. Looking to the right you could see the Prince (Nacional), the Joy, and the Alameda. The loss of the Prince and Joy was no big loss. The Empire would have been no big loss had it been razed, but the Texas was a treasure not only in it's grandeur, but in it's history and memories of so many San Antonians.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:05 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,693 times
Mr. M's was named after it's owner, a B.J. "Red" McCombs venture.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:11 PM

I think I was right about Metzger's Dairies owning Mr. M.

David Metzger Obituary - Dallas, TX | Dallas Morning News

Old 01-01-2016, 03:28 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,693 times
McCombs must have bought the business then:

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dhn02

"In 1981, by which time NCS <Stop N Go> had 834 stores in eleven Sunbelt states, the company had purchased 116 Mr. M Food Stores in San Antonio and Houston from McCombs International."

Last edited by Deep Forest; 01-01-2016 at 03:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio