Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 10:10 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I don't know if it was mentioned...Texas ice houses. Mr M's was supposed to be a like business but they all turned to 7-11s or neighborhood stop and rob stores. I haven't been down there for a couple of years but lived there for 10 in my formidable years prior to moving to MD. I found the north to be more to my liking for weather alone as well as more employment opportunities.

Texas theater...I was saddened to find out it was demolished. The Mexican ladies who sold tamales on street corners around Christmas...they were good and cheap. Being able to go plinking with .22 and shotgun off Poteet Road without a sheriff wanting to know what we were doing. My friend's mother was a manager at GC Murphy's at Wonderland mall and we would get free Icees while there. The Castle up around that area. I don't know what that building was but it looked to be someone's house at one time. It was spooky at night.

I saw the USAA bldg mentioned. I was a bricklayer up north and moved south in the winter to work...we built an apartment complex across the street from there. Flore's store.

Was anyone ever in the Girl/Boy Scouts and remember HEB Foundation Camp out off Hwy 90 past Hondo?

Too many state parks in the area...Pedernales was my favorite. My dad was a park policeman on the river walk - tough job, right?
HEB Ranch was near Leaky. Churches held youth retreats there as well. I've been there two or three times for about a week each visit.

Lone Star and Commerce Ice Houses were common in San Antonio. 7-11's came along in the mid 60's they had "Slushes" which were the first Icee type drinks far as I know. U-Oil-It's bought out the Commerce Ice Houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 PM

457 posts, read 660,758 times
Rancho,

The Buckhorn Saloon was a block or so west of W & M. The Buckhorn was a visual treat unlike any other! It was also
the only place in town you could buy Mexican jumping beans year round! For many years I had a Mexican Bowie knife,
(the one's with the eagle head on the handle and with various degrees of engraving on the blade) that I'd bought at
the Buckhorn. Sadly, it became a victim of too many cross-country moves over the decades.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:42 AM

SATX56,

If you are talking about the park area out around Garner State Park/Leaky, it was a welcomed
change in July and August! Several churches used the park area we visited on several occasions.
Although it was enjoyable, the Frio River was well named! Wasn't too bad the sunny, shallow areas
but the deeper parts in the shade were COLD! July or August, made no difference....it was cold!

Old 01-05-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
SATX56,

If you are talking about the park area out around Garner State Park/Leaky, it was a welcomed
change in July and August! Several churches used the park area we visited on several occasions.
Although it was enjoyable, the Frio River was well named! Wasn't too bad the sunny, shallow areas
but the deeper parts in the shade were COLD! July or August, made no difference....it was cold!
Bud
It's all pretty close proximity I think. I've been to the Frio at Concan, I forget the name of the camp. Further up the road is Garner State Park and a bit further is Leaky and HEB Ranch. Haven't been to HEB's since 1970 or '71 probably. Late 70's last trip that way was to Concan. The Frio is notoriously frigid and it really is year round.
I actually drove our church bus to HEB Ranch the last trip maybe 1970-ish. Had a friend and neighbor who was a boy scout leader and served in Air Force out of Brooks Aerospace chaperoning. Last time out that way was maybe mid to late 70's.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:54 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
SATX56 your bus driving skills are still talked about in DPS circles lol.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:32 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Rancho,

The Buckhorn Saloon was a block or so west of W & M. The Buckhorn was a visual treat unlike any other! It was also
the only place in town you could buy Mexican jumping beans year round! For many years I had a Mexican Bowie knife,
(the one's with the eagle head on the handle and with various degrees of engraving on the blade) that I'd bought at
the Buckhorn. Sadly, it became a victim of too many cross-country moves over the decades.

I’m not sure if it was $5 or more, but I also bought the eagle head Bowie knife there.

In the days when you could walk all the way to the airplane at San Antonio International,
without security,
I bought a switch-button knife in Puerto Vallarta & brought it back with no problem.

What I don’t see any longer are the guys downtown selling the newspapers on Houston St. corners.
I’m talking about the guys who would yell the headlines.
I could never understand exactly what they were saying.

There was also a man on a wheel chair by the Majestic Theater on Houston St.
downtown.
Later years, I remember Bongo Joe & his drums.
I mostly saw him by the bridge area near Casa Rio Restaurant.
I believe Shiloh’s Deli is still there around.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
SATX56 your bus driving skills are still talked about in DPS circles lol.
They should be I've had every license to drive known to man.... Working on flight now.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:47 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
They should be I've had every license to drive known to man.... Working on flight now.
Drones don't count

Old 01-06-2016, 10:58 AM

Rancho,

I believe the Mexican Bowie knives were less than $5.00 ( I seldom had $5.00!) This was back in the mid 1950's,
or pre-Elvis to time-stamp it. Back when you could exchange Cinco Pesos coins, the big, heavy ones with an exchange rate of about 15 Pesos per $1.00. Wish I'd had the wisdom and $ to have "put away" a few 5,000 Peso bags!

Ah, yes, walking to the plane! Or, standing on the "Observation" deck! It wasn't too long after the introduction of
jets all that ended. When the "new" San Antonio Municipal Airport terminal building opened, (mid 50's) there were these
airlines serving S A:

American
Braniff
Continental
Eastern
Trans Texas

It was with the addition of Mexicana service in the late 50's-early 60's between San Antonio and Monterrey and Mexico City, that San Antonio Municipal became San Antonio International.

Each (except Mexicana) had about the same number of departures and arrivals daily. Interestingly, there was a much smaller, older terminal just West of the "new" terminal building. It served charter flights, (military charters, principally for Lackland and Randolph). Took one of those back in the early 60's, an aging Constellation operated by World Wide Airlines, from San Antonio to Washington National DC, with a refueling stop at Keesler AFB, MS. ( Everyone had to deplane while refueling!) The fare was $48.00! Of course that was a weeks salary for many people! I find it interesting when money is
mentioned now, it includes the comment "..and in today's dollars, it would be..." the figure is astronomical!

Cheers!

Old 01-06-2016, 02:01 PM

108 posts, read 119,495 times
When I got my first job cleaning and waxing the Oak Hills medical center I bought an airplane ticket to Dallas to visit a friend going to college there. $30.00 round trip. First time I ever flew on an airplane. Later in my career I got really tired of airports but back then it was really cool. I flew on Hughes Air West a lot back then but I don't think they were ever in San Antonio. Turbo props. We called it Hughes Air Worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio