Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 06:46 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,585 times

Advertisements

I remember sitting in the Library at Jefferson Highschool in the late sixties. I was looking at magazines and there was an ad for the biggest burger I ever saw. It was called the "Big Mac" and it took up the whole page. There were no Macdonalds here until around 1970. When I started to go to "San Pedro Highschool" ( San Antonio College) They had a school paper (The Ranger) with an ad that was buy one get one free for a "Big Mac". My staple diet back then was either french fries or onion rings from the student union building (SUB). I had a ten speed bike that I rode everywhere my VW bug couldn't take me. The "Big Mac" was fifty five cents. Two for one was a good price. Onion rings were thirty cents. My cheapest meal was a Coke in a paper cup (remember those machines?) and cheese crackers. Total cost twenty five cents. I acquired a taste for the "Big Mac" but usually don't like cheese on my burger. "Jack in the Box" got here about the same time. They had the "Bonus Jack". It was like the "Big Mac" except it was fifty four cents and had a "Secret Sauce". There were a lot of jokes about the "Secret Sauce" back then (kids can be aweful) but now that they are selling it again, it is nothing like I remember it. It just tastes like a cheap double cheeseburger to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 07:07 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
There were no Macdonalds here until around 1970.
I believe 1970 is correct. I remember hearing it was located on the South Side, but I don't know where, or if the original building is still there.

The first McDonalds I remember visiting in San Antonio was the one on Austin Highway, which opened around '71 or '72. That restaurant was replaced with a new building next door when Lowe's opened. The Austin Highway location was the only other McDonalds besides the original one on the South Side that I am aware existed in San Antonio at the time.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:18 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,585 times
The first one I remember was on Fred. Rd. next to where Grady's is now. It has been remodeled so it must still be a good spot. I went to school with Susan Maddox. I think Maddox Mattress was close to there. I could be wrong --it's been a long time!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:45 PM

7 posts, read 24,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
While looking up some history on John L's, I found a great article on the Crystal Baking Company. Anybody remember that place? I remember I was eating there with my family right when Hurricane Allen tore through San Antonio. I remember running to the car and the wind litteraly taking my breathe away and feeling like I was about to suffocate!

The restaurant was built to house the antique architecture and art collections of its owner, Joe Friesenhahn. Much of the art was from a french artist called "Mucha". The interior featured the gold-leaf works of Willie Schuller, a San Antonio artist and stained glass from Thomas O' Shaughnessy, who did the stained glass windows for Chicogo's St. Patrick church and Loyola university. It featured both victorian and america art. The back bar was from a 1901 salon called the Blind Pig, from someplace called Beardstown (not sure what state). The front bar was a replica of the back bar, but with a marble bar top that was once wainscotting from an old building in St. Lois called the Old Lagget and Meyers Building.

The two chandliers that still hang in the place are from the Pueblo NM Courthouse. The 10 foot rose window in the ceiling is from an 1906 New York church and other windows are from the original Four Seasons hotel in NY. The glass that seperated the main bar from the restaurant was a collection of glass from buildings in Chicago, St. Louis, and New Orleans. The interior doors that led to the private dinning room were from a French Castle. Sounds like an interesting place. I have been there a few times when it was a seafood restauant, and then a Mad Dog's. I hope whovever buys the place restores some of its old architecture.
Does anyone know what ever happened to the art and the other pieces from the restaurant?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I believe 1970 is correct. I remember hearing it was located on the South Side, but I don't know where, or if the original building is still there.

The first McDonalds I remember visiting in San Antonio was the one on Austin Highway, which opened around '71 or '72. That restaurant was replaced with a new building next door when Lowe's opened. The Austin Highway location was the only other McDonalds besides the original one on the South Side that I am aware existed in San Antonio at the time.
If I recall correctly you can see our first one in the "Sugarland Express" Movie. WE went to church just behind it. Corner Ascot and Military Drive. Built right where the Spotted Horse Restaurant had been. Movie came out 71' or 72'!!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:48 PM

7 posts, read 24,642 times
I found this site today and spent the whole afternoon reading. I have only been to San Antonio three times. My mother was born in the home on the grounds of the Japanese Tea Garden (Sunken Gardens) and we have always been welcomed into San Antonio warmly. I love hearing about what San Antonio was like and how it has changed. My mother still can point out a few landmarks when we drive around town and it really sparks a lot of her stories. I am interested to know if anyone has memories or photos in their family archives of the garden and especially the Bamboo Room that was designed by my grandfather. The city is now in the process of restoring the house and the Bamboo Room. This is a wonderful place to hear a lot of history that I have heard in bits and pieces from my mom but she left in the late 40's. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,360,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenkoji View Post
I found this site today and spent the whole afternoon reading. I have only been to San Antonio three times. My mother was born in the home on the grounds of the Japanese Tea Garden (Sunken Gardens) and we have always been welcomed into San Antonio warmly. I love hearing about what San Antonio was like and how it has changed. My mother still can point out a few landmarks when we drive around town and it really sparks a lot of her stories. I am interested to know if anyone has memories or photos in their family archives of the garden and especially the Bamboo Room that was designed by my grandfather. The city is now in the process of restoring the house and the Bamboo Room. This is a wonderful place to hear a lot of history that I have heard in bits and pieces from my mom but she left in the late 40's. Thanks everyone for sharing.
Google the Institute of Texan Cultures and check out their photo card file. They have oodles of photos that have been contributed from mostly San Antonio, but all across the state. I would bet they have photos of the Bamboo Room....especially since they are restoring it. You might also try to contact the architect or contractor that is working on the restoration. They may have already done the research and might LOVE to talk to your mother.
One last place would be the Conservation Society in King William. They are all about restoration and obviously conserving our local history. They have a staff architect, librarian and historian....great people to work with and talk to.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,151,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenkoji View Post
I live in CA now but I was home in SA last week visiting my parents. I saw in the newspaper that your mother was back in town for the dedication at the Japanese Tea Garden and there was a picture of her with ex Mayor Lila Cockrell. I remember going to the Tea Garden (Sunken Gardens to me as a school kid) in the 70s on school field trips! Beautiful place and beautiful gardens..your family has left San Antonio quite a legacy and you should be so proud!!

Old 10-26-2009, 04:03 PM

17 posts, read 47,910 times
Default McDonald's

I believe the first McDonald's was on S. Laredo just south of S. Alamo. I think there is one there now but I don't know if it's the original building or location.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclhd View Post
I believe the first McDonald's was on S. Laredo just south of S. Alamo. I think there is one there now but I don't know if it's the original building or location.
It was there in 72' or 73' when i worked at the Stockyard's across the Freeway. Most likely the first two or three were built near the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio