Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times

Advertisements

I used to hang there too at those places. I worked at the limestome quarry
at ingram and loop 410 before it became Ingram mall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I've been getting caught up on this site. I am happy to see new things "Gone but not Forgotten" are being discovered. I want to thank Mudpuddle for his amazing memory. It was called "Something Different" and I spent many happy hours there. I went to Swizzle Stick too. I might have mentioned this before but I think somebody needs to explore the numerous Windowless Bars and Domino Bars that are still around and also those that are gone but not forgotten. I read somewhere that the BONANZA chain was started by Dan Blocker (remember Hoss on the TV show?). Maybe not but it makes sense. Remember when Wendy's had a salad bar? Remember when KFC had an all you can eat buffet? Remember Home Town Buffet or Ryan's? Remember when NOBODY had salad bars? Well mostly nobody. I think Shakey's had a Pizza and Fried chicken Buffet for lunch but I don't remember a salad bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 AM

139 posts, read 504,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I remember Pat Boyette!! Wolf & Bud B, I don't think i knew of these things you mention. Wolf had me diggin' for the old "Shock" hairy hand that preceded the "Project Terror" for the late night scary movies! Couldn't find it on youtube!
Hello My Older SA Brother. Was this, the Picture you remember?

Bud you ever find that Shock intro with Joe, I will be your best friend for ever. I have been looking for it for over 25 years. A friend of mine used to work for KENS IN the 80's, Still Might, Had the Actual Card Board Haunted House from the intro. IT Look kinda like a book. I offered him what seemed like a Million dollars for it. I think it was $400. At that time might as well been a million, It was all I had. He still said no. Oh Well. I have seen pictures of Joe as the Host, but a video,Would be amazing. . HHW

Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
Hello My Older SA Brother. Was this, the Picture you remember?

Bud you ever find that Shock intro with Joe, I will be your best friend for ever. I have been looking for it for over 25 years. A friend of mine used to work for KENS IN the 80's, Still Might, Had the Actual Card Board Haunted House from the intro. IT Look kinda like a book. I offered him what seemed like a Million dollars for it. I think it was $400. At that time might as well been a million, It was all I had. He still said no. Oh Well. I have seen pictures of Joe as the Host, but a video,Would be amazing. . HHW
Hey Wolf!! No ...it was a hairy hand that reached across the screen if I recall correctly. BTW, I've seen the old Capt'n Gus props in Kens Studio. Joe who??

Spoiler
BOO!!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:44 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,158 times
Ok my earliest memories. Shock was on Friday nights. I remember a hand opening a book. It was a creepy hand but the guy who did "SHOCK" was kinda funny--he later became Capt Gus. All the movies came out in the same order. Frankenstein--Dracula--Wolfman. Shock moved to Saturday afternoons and "Project Terror" moved to friday nights. We always watched Dan Cook tell the highschool football scores and sometimes he would interrupt to tell the latest highlights of the friday night games. Ok the movies were --The Day the Earth Stood Still, THEM, Fiend Without a Face, Earth Vs the Flying Saucers, 20 million Miles to earth. The Beast from 20,000 fathoms. The Giant Behomoth, The Amazing Collassal Man, The incredible Shrinking Man, Dr. Cyclops--lots more--good stuff!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,851 times
I remember something on Saturday afternoons called "Screaming Meemies?" Does anyone else recall this? They played scary movies and those giant ant/rabbit/bat/bird/rodent movies.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,158 times
Ok You got me going now. Do you remember "Commander X" ? He was in a space ship and showed the Superman shows from the fifties. He also showed "Comando Cody". What was cool about him was he wore a flying suit to disguise his true identy and his suit had a knob on it. The knob said "up'" and "Down". When he turned the knob to "up" he would take off flying. When he had to land he would turn the knob to "Down". I wish I had a suit like that!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Hey Wolf!! No ...it was a hairy hand that reached across the screen if I recall correctly. BTW, I've seen the old Capt'n Gus props in Kens Studio. Joe who??

Spoiler
BOO!!!!
Joe Alston The Host of Shock Theater and the Man who Played Captain Gus. One in the Same.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
I remember something on Saturday afternoons called "Screaming Meemies?" Does anyone else recall this? They played scary movies and those giant ant/rabbit/bat/bird/rodent movies.
Yes you are correct. I believe it was early 80's.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:52 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
New article and info on the old reform school south of town

Options Weighed For 'Haunted' Buildings - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/21471183/detail.html - broken link)

Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
New article and info on the old reform school south of town

Options Weighed For 'Haunted' Buildings - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/21471183/detail.html - broken link)
OMG....I didn't know that buidling was designed by Alfred Giles....it can't be torn down! They have already removed the asbestos, so why stop now. It might be an expensive remodel, but if they tore it down, that would throw away history and $750,000 plus the expense they have already put in it!!

Why not offer it up for sale, instead of making it a taxpayer burden??? Dummies! The new owner would still have to comply with the Texas Historical Commission, so it still would not be torn down.

I love how Betty Bueche talks about wanting everyone to stop talking about it, yet gives an interview to be published in the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio