Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,120 times

Advertisements

I still have my 1970 yearbook from Jefferson Highschool. Does everyone really want to scan this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 13,100 times
Denim and Diamonds on NW Military, has gone through many owners and different names. Now Thirsty Horse Saloon and I highly recommend it as a nice ber and dance hall.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:11 PM

16 posts, read 51,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
There was a Cowboys night club on the Loop 410 side of the old Central Park Mall in the 1990s. Could that be the one you're thinking of?

The film strip thing was known as "Light of the Loop", and was located on the Westbound Loop 410 access road, at or near the intersection of Tansyl. Someone built an outdoor-theatre-type wall on the side of a house that was exposed to passing traffic on 410, and had a projector on the vacant tract of land next to it. It's been gone for several years.
Wow, thinking about the light of the loop brings back memories. I lived off Blanco so most of the time I went on 410 I would see it. I always wondered about that house with the big screen facing the highway.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:14 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,152,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I still have my 1970 yearbook from Jefferson Highschool. Does everyone really want to scan this stuff?
Those ads would be cool...probably concentrating on Fred. Rd and maybe Wonderland Mall??

Old 11-11-2009, 10:50 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,152,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauaugen63 View Post
Fright Night was a Vampire movie. Perhaps it was also the name of the TV show. It was like Project Terror in that it was a venue for horror movies.

I remember that opening use to scare me. What year did SHOCK stop running?
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Must have been very early 60's at the latest. Fright Night sounds familiar too!!
This should bring back some memories! I wasn't around then to remember this first-hand but I know some of you will...

and "The Host" himself...Joe Alston...

Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 AM

64 posts, read 431,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
Here's another view of the Majestic interior.
And a couple of views of the side wall - one from a distance and the other from a little closer.

Our very own Mudpuddle played a major role in restoring the Majestic, and he is continuing to maintain it.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-majestic-side-wall.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-majestic-side-wall-detail.jpg  

Last edited by DickZ; 11-16-2009 at 09:18 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 10,633 times
What a really great thread!! There are so many things I'd forgotten about (like the Mynah Bird at North Star)

Someone asked about Central Park on the other GBNF thread. Not sure exactly when it was built, but it was built by someone named Jaffe- Morris, maybe?. My earliest memory of going there was around 1967. (i would just about kill for a Beef Barron roast beef sandwich. If only Arby's could get their secret)

The upper level c. 1969/70 had Hang It On & Side Issue clothing boutiques, Record Town, a *really* great Handy Andy with a gourmet dept & wine "cellar". I think Brittany Buffet (which later became a Luby's) was next to the Handy Andy. When I was in high school, there was a dimestore (Woolworth's/ Winn's) type place called GC Murphy. They had a really, really great album section- lots of obscure things and most of them (single albums) were $3.33. i think they were right next to Beall's. Spencer Gifts was upstairs next to the record store. (later on in the late 80's/ early 90s, some plant guys- Nature's Creations, who had a shop in Northwest Center, opened up a place around there, too)
The lower level had a Robinson's, Casual Corner, a wig store, Wicks & Sticks, an Alamo Music, Parklane Hosiery and a candy store where we'd buy chunks of white chocolate.
The Dillards next to the GPM building was always our favorite one. My mom worked in the GPM and my friends & I would go over there after school and hang out in the snack bar (which was huge) on the top floor until she got off work. They had an automat and soda machines (where the cup dropped, filled with ice & then soda, or coffee or hot chocolate). I can't remember if the sandwiches came out hot or they had a microwave. They had the usual cheese or tuna or ham+, but also hamburgers, hotdogs & I think, chopped barbeque &/ or roast beef- something sloppy like that. Very futuristic and a great view.

Also in the other thread, someone mentioned a radio station broadcasting from there. I'm not sure about that, but I think either KITY or KITE broadcast from North Star Mall in the late 60s/ early 70s. I think they were in the "basement" section (upper level of that, up the stairs) with the Brazier restaurant, Silvey Music, a shoe store, Karotkins furniture & Frost Brothers. Further down was my favorite part of the mall (esp the bath shop that was on the left- right before Joske's and Chandler's shoes) I think there might have been another musical instrument store in that section, but I might be thinking of Silvey (I remember buying singles there in the 60s). The theaters were Cinemas 1 & 2 (I & II). The Magic Christian (with Ringo Starr) showing there was one of the first movies I went to without an adult. (What was the double theater on Rector by Blanco called?)
The HEB at North Star (with Walgreen's next to it, where Macy's is now) was always really grungy.

Mud, I'm so glad you mentioned the Italian restaurant (JoTo's) on/ by El Mio. I was lamenting Paletta's bread sticks the other night & that was the first place I ever had them. (Paletta's delicatessen was at the corner or Recoleta and Jackson Keller, across from the Rollercade to the west and apartment complexes to the north) I was going crazy trying to remember the name of that restaurant.

Does anyone remember Denhome? It became Sound Warehouse (I think- or maybe Blockbuster) after DH went out of business. The Pier One across from the Jack In The Box (I think Veda Mae was the street that ran between, off San Pedro) That Pier One was one of 2. The other was on SW Military kind of by Kallison's.
Contour Chair and Silva Mind Control were at the very end (separated from Solo Serve by a driveway) of Nonken Plaza (the strip center where Handy Andy was) In the 60's, there was a dancewear place in the same strip center as Schaeffer's BBQ where Foos It was in the earlier 70s.
There was a Der Weinerschnitzel in the parking lot of the Piggly Wiggly (now HEB)/ Zuider Zee at San Pedro & Oblate. That later became a tire store. I think the Fotomat was in Nadler's parking lot.
Someone else asked about an Italian restaurant up by SW Bell/ Nadler's/ Dietz McLean/ Red Wing shoe store. I think it was Luigi's & before that, Kangaroo Court.
Camera Exchange was either down close to Robert Hall's or maybe in their old building (I want to say separate building yet it's hard to visualize)
Alfie's Fish & Chips later became the Rogue Pub (foosball/ pool parlor). Lloyd's Jewelers was around there somewhere.

And the Swiss Chalet restaurant (owned by Olly Otten) at the base of Northview Towers (where Tiffany's is/ was).

The first Taco Bell that opened up was across from NW Center & it was sooo cheap & so good!
Audry's Mexican Restaurant (home of the Dan Cook Special) needs to be added to the great eating list (Tony, if you're reading this, you are in deep trouble! You said "months")
And Teka Molina on N St Mary's. (The Teka Molina on San Pedro is now run by the Corn Shack guy, who is married to the original owner's daughter. They still have all the great Teka stuff).
La Palmita on Blanco Road, just south of where Oblate T's into it.
Marini's Empanadas in the a frame on Broadway across from the old Frontier by Brackenridge Park/ Alligator Gardens (it was a Cajun place last time I was over there) that was there in the mid 70s. (They were still in Houston at Richmond & Hillcroft a couple of years ago & still delicious)
La Posada del Rey in N Alamo Heights by the Handy Andy at Sunset & N New Braunfels/ Nacogdoches.
:-( People just don't make enchiladas like they used to.
Downtown Joske's & Sears candy depts at Christmas.
Real bakeries and real ice houses (like Mr M & Lone Star, the place in that little island at San Pedro & Oblate). Real pharmacies (Is Oakdell the last holdout?)
Picadilly Cafeteria at Wonderland (fried Halibut instead of Trout & hushpuppies) and Tandy Leather.

Johnny Ringo's hamburger joint across from Nimitz Junior High & Jay's on San Pedro south of Basse Road.

The Handy Andy at Hildebrand, Central Boot & Shoe Repair & Cookie's Fashion Outlet.
Fotomat Stores (I worked there in college)
Independent grocers! (Sobrino's on Blanco had the BEST steaks!) Or even grocery chains (Randall's, Kroger, Market Basket, etc. Every other large Texas city has a bunch)
The fabric store that used to be in Dellview- GREAT stuff!
Mid range component stereo equipment (looked for a replacement piece lately?)

Getting Danish & high contemporary furniture for a lot less at railroad salvage & Toudouze/ Fawcett & some other furniture places downtown.
Southern Music at Broadway & Jones Avenue
Plate & Platter
$8.50 were the most expensive seats at a concert

Is there anyone here who used to go to the Gate House (on 4th Street by Municipal Auditorium) in the early 70s? Steve Earle was a regular there when he was 16 years old.

Oh. And the fabric store by the Marshall's that used to be a Handy Andy at Blanco & West was The Longest Yard.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,820 times
Great Post Gone to the Dogs...I hope you have found the original GBNF in SA thread...this one is part II. That is where the really good stuff is.

Speaking of Ringos. I remember the one across from Nimitz and there was one on West Ave @ Basse...that one was still operating until about 5-7 years ago. They claimed to be the originator of the Bean Burger. Great place to eat.

Anyone know any background or history on Ringo's?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 PM

60 posts, read 208,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Great Post Gone to the Dogs...I hope you have found the original GBNF in SA thread...this one is part II. That is where the really good stuff is.

Speaking of Ringos. I remember the one across from Nimitz and there was one on West Ave @ Basse...that one was still operating until about 5-7 years ago. They claimed to be the originator of the Bean Burger. Great place to eat.

Anyone know any background or history on Ringo's?
Ringo's was a business my grandparents began. They owned both the one across from Nimitz and the other one on West Ave near Basse and ended up selling them a couple of years later. What's the Ringo's name about? I asked my father about it and he said it was just a nickname his father went by- his real name was Harry. They lived in a house on W. Mandalay until they both died several years ago. There are also several posts with more info in the original GBNF thread.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:53 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,625,639 times
Smile I remember......

One of my fondest memories, here in SA, at the Trinity Baptist Church, was a show called "The Living Christmas Tree." This was during the time Rev. Buckner Fanning was at Trinity Baptist. Every year in December just before Christmas, several shows were put on of "The Living Christmas Tree." You could tell a lot of work was put into the shows. They were so beautiful with the choir, costumes, and live animals. This does not exist anymore. This was an event I remember looking forward to every year as a child. Did anyone else ever go to see "The Living Christmas Tree?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio