Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times

Advertisements

We are coming early May. How is the weather during day and night ? We booked reservations at the Hotel Contessa...but then read some so-so reviews. We continued reading reviews about other hotels and it seems that every hotel has a so-so review here and there. Anyone with 1st hand knowledge about this place ? Also...nightlife ? I am 35, wife is 30.......we love more upscale places with good crowds, but having grown up in Miami and frequenting South Beach many times over, we are done with the velvet rope and roid monster bouncers, 20 dollar cover charge and 15 dollar drinks ! We love mexican music and the mexican culture....any nice places to visit in the evening ? What other restaurants are a MUST....especiallly Mexican. We are planning on going to the mariachi church mass Sunday morning at the Mission ?, visiting the Alamo of course, the Mercado and who knows what else. Any recommendations ? Thanks y'all ! Here we come Texas !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:10 PM

70 posts, read 168,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
We are coming early May. How is the weather during day and night ? We booked reservations at the Hotel Contessa...but then read some so-so reviews. We continued reading reviews about other hotels and it seems that every hotel has a so-so review here and there. Anyone with 1st hand knowledge about this place ? Also...nightlife ? I am 35, wife is 30.......we love more upscale places with good crowds, but having grown up in Miami and frequenting South Beach many times over, we are done with the velvet rope and roid monster bouncers, 20 dollar cover charge and 15 dollar drinks ! We love mexican music and the mexican culture....any nice places to visit in the evening ? What other restaurants are a MUST....especiallly Mexican. We are planning on going to the mariachi church mass Sunday morning at the Mission ?, visiting the Alamo of course, the Mercado and who knows what else. Any recommendations ? Thanks y'all ! Here we come Texas !
Right now the weather is perfect. 70s-80s during the day, 50s-60s at night. I'm not familiar with the Contessa, but the Watermark is considered one of the best hotels in the city. Great location, very good restaurant downstairs. The Mansion del Rio is the classic fine hotel in San Antonio, just across the river from the Watermark. I also like the Havana Riverwalk in, though it's a little further out from the main attractions of the River Walk. And the St. Anthony is nice too, just a couple of blocks from the Alamo.

Rosario's a good, upscale Mexican restaurant, just south of downtown in the King William area. Mi Tierra is an institution, in the Mercado. If you are willing to venture out of downtown, I like La Paloma Blanca on Broadway, also kind of upscale. I think Tito's is very good -- also in King William, but more of a hole in the wall type of place. Definitely not upscale.

One thing I like about San Antonio is that it has a lively, active downtown. I don't know what I can recommend in terms of nightlife, but you can probably find something just walking around.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
I always advise out of towners to get a VIA bus pass and take the #7 bus. It's called the Tourist Special. There is a stop in front of Rivercenter Mall on Alamo Plaza. It will take you to all the spots that are, to me, must see that are the hidden treasures of the city. the Museum of Art, Zoo, Witte Museum, Brackenridge Park, Botanical Center. Stuff like that. It's easy on the bus with no traffic hassles or getting lost. If you see something you want to go back and spend more time, you at least know where it is and what it takes to get there. And the least is you get to see the real San Antonio, not just the city center tourist spots.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:15 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
Thanks for the tips on the restaurants and the tips on the VIA buss pass. We are NOT renting a car...just a roundtrip coach transfer, so the bus is important if we need to explore the real san antonio. Where is the nearest bus station to get that pass ? We definitely want to go to the zoo.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:14 PM

17 posts, read 39,089 times
You may want to check out the Valencia Hotel. Great hotel, also has good restaurants: Acenar and Citrus.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:09 AM

53 posts, read 134,179 times
I have seen one suite that looks over the Riverwalk. The room comfortable and excellent view. Rosarios and El Mirador just south of town. Los Barrios north of town. If your coming during Cinco de Mayo weekend El Mercado would be the place. As far as entertainment you might drive up Broadway and find a bar. Explore. Don't forget to go to the Alamo and the history store that's across the street.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:39 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
You have another rec. for Acenar
Also try Drink Wine Bar

Old 04-02-2009, 08:53 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,851 times
Acenar is definatly an upscale Mexican restaurant on the riverwalk. As for Latin music, try Azuca (I think it's on St. Mary's Street?) downtown. I know Acapulco Sam's on the riverwalk has a Latin dancefloor on the first level. Rosario's turns into a Latin club when the restaurant closes on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio