U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 PM

8 posts, read 29,031 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband is currently in the Air Force and well, when he gets out in about 3-4 years we will be moving to SA to be closer to family. I am currently pursuing a BA in Elementary Education and wanted to know if it is hard to find a teaching job in SA? How much do they start entry level teachers at? Any information would be helpful. I've read a few things here and there where teachers are having a hard time finding employment, but I thought I would ask. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:53 PM

242 posts, read 634,566 times
There have been many threads on this topic. I have my cert in EC-8, with an ESL Supplemental (I also have my Masters). I have spent two years subbing because I cannot find a permanent position. Every year at this time, you hear news stories about how many new teachers the districts will be needing. Every three months or so, I send out emails/resumes to the schools, and principals of new ones opening. I have not even gotten an interview. Most of the posts I have read on the various threads talk of similar situations. I know that these are not necessarily unbiased, but I must tell you, I have not heard of many "new" teachers getting jobs - lots of transferring from other SA districts/schools. Wish I could be more hopeful... Many someone else has had a more positive experience.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:04 PM

707 posts, read 1,737,414 times
I have no personal experience, but on the news today it mentioned one of the school districts here will be hiring 700 teachers for next year. ???

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM

242 posts, read 634,566 times
That's probably NISD. They say that every year.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:27 PM

874 posts, read 2,760,622 times
Elementary positions are probably the hardest to get in this area. Are you bilingual by any chance? If so, that could increase your chances (so could Special Ed certification). Is your Elementary Ed. just up to 4th grade or does it go up to 8th? (Different programs handle Elementary differently, so just thought I would ask.) If you can add Middle School Ed. to your degree, or if it already covers middle school, that wouldn't hurt. As in many areas of the country, high school math and science are quite high in demand, so if you are interested in that...

However, if you are willing to cast your net very widely and apply to ALL of the districts in the city (including those perceived by some as "less desirable," such as Edgewood or SAISD), you will increase your chances for getting hired for an elementary position. I moved here from out of state, so had just my one year certificate, and was interviewed via phone and hired before moving here. I am currently teaching in Edgewood. I love the kids (well, most of them!) and never feel unsafe driving to/from school or walking to my car after school (on most evenings, I leave between 5 and 6 PM, so after dark during the winter). There are certainly pros and cons to teaching there, but it is a place for you to get your foot in the door for a couple of years if you think you may want to try a different district later on... or a place you may end up staying despite various obstacles because you feel that is where the kids need you to be.

Starting teacher salaries in this area are generally around the mid-40s for public school and mid- to upper- 30s for most charter schools (although those salaries can vary quite a bit; for example, I believe KIPP pays on par with or above what either NISD or NEISD pays).

Most districts here accept/require applications to be completed online, so when you guys get ready to move here you will want to start getting those filled out to get your name added to the applicant pool.

Last edited by buffy888; 04-06-2009 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: typos due to laptop acting silly

Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 AM

8,399 posts, read 21,771,584 times
NISD Employment

NISD 2008-09 Teacher Salaries (http://www.nisd.net/hr/compensation/PayScales0809/200809TchrPay.htm - broken link)

NISD Employee Benefits (http://nisd.net/hr/benefits/index.htm - broken link)

It is a rewarding but underappreciated (and underpaid) profession; however, the salaries in SA are pretty good considering the low cost of living here...

Best of luck to you, the world can never have too many good teachers!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,325 times
Hi everyone. I have a question. I have my certification through MI and have been filling out applications for San Antonio School Districts, but I'm wondering if I need to already have my 1-year certificate on hand to be considered for positions??

Old 01-26-2010, 09:27 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,310,830 times
My best friend moved here from IL with her certification in IL. It took her three years of interviewing to finally get hired. After she moved to TX she had so many months to complete the TX certification process.

I would also say if you have a local address you can use, it might be helpful. My best friend had a hard time even getting face to face interviews when they realized she wasn't already here. Once she started using my address she got interviews. It could've been coincidence, though, but you know. Whatever edge you can get, right?

She's in her 23rd year of teaching overall and her 5th year here in town. She was at a parochial school up at home but the district she went to still counted all her years of experience, so she was able to start at a very decent salary (more than half again as much as what she was making with 18 years of experience at home!).

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:13 PM

420 posts, read 1,094,399 times
I have to agree with the other statements. There are numerous large colleges in the area that create a flood of EC-8 teachers.

This is the list of teacher need from the ed.gov website for Texas.
2005-06 thru 2009-10

Bilingual Education
English as a Second Language
Foreign Language (Languages other than
English)
Mathematics
Science
Special Education
Technology Applications

I just finished an education program at UTSA and if EC-8 and Kinesiology majors do not get a job offer from their student teaching position they may spend years looking. Most of them end up as subs the positions on the list have a much better chance of landing a position quickly. But keep in mind that this area was greatly buffered recently from national events and while other school systems were laying off this area was still hiring so many people relocated here. Some of the school districts even closed off the substitute teacher hiring till further notice.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 AM

437 posts, read 850,090 times
Try private schools too. I taught high school at Saint Mary's Hall for 11 years. The pay is comparable to public school; class size and students are fantastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>