Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:59 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times

Advertisements

Well, it had to happen. Today on 1604 we took a rock in the windshield of my 3-month old Toyota, and I got a nice little chip and little crack going. It's small, less than an inch; but I know if you don't get these things attended to they will develop into a bad crack that will require replacing the entire windshield!

So, I was hoping someone might be able to recommend an auto glass repair shop, preferably on the NW side of town, where I can get this fixed. I want someplace that I can trust, not one of those guys on the side of the road like I see up in Leon Springs all the time.

And I have to admit, that is one thing I do miss about Florida. Under the law there, your insurance has to pay for a replacement windshield with no deductible. Maybe if Texas had something similar, you'd see a lot less cracked windshields on the road. And if that law existed, it would be another indicator of not having insurance...something this state needs to crack down (pun intended ) on much more severely!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 07:41 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,995,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Well, it had to happen. Today on 1604 we took a rock in the windshield of my 3-month old Toyota, and I got a nice little chip and little crack going. It's small, less than an inch; but I know if you don't get these things attended to they will develop into a bad crack that will require replacing the entire windshield!

So, I was hoping someone might be able to recommend an auto glass repair shop, preferably on the NW side of town, where I can get this fixed. I want someplace that I can trust, not one of those guys on the side of the road like I see up in Leon Springs all the time.

And I have to admit, that is one thing I do miss about Florida. Under the law there, your insurance has to pay for a replacement windshield with no deductible. Maybe if Texas had something similar, you'd see a lot less cracked windshields on the road. And if that law existed, it would be another indicator of not having insurance...something this state needs to crack down (pun intended ) on much more severely!

Cheers! M2
We had a chip in the windshield of the truck and got it fixed on the side of the road about 5 years agao.... still holding fine!!

Old 01-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
I called my auto insurer when I had a windshield stone chip, and they sent me to a vendor in Selma that made a fix without an out-of-pocket cost to me. Are you sure that your insurance company can't help you with this?

Old 01-24-2009, 07:50 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
I got a 4-6" long crack (on my windshield )
is it true that when it is that long it can't be fixed?

My POS = Mercury Sable has a crack about 40"

Old 01-24-2009, 07:56 PM

153 posts, read 520,977 times
A couple of years ago I had Nationwide as my auto insurance and they sent someone to the house to fix my cracked windshield at no out of pocket cost to me (I can't remember the companies name though...). So even if it isn't spelled out in your insurance documents, it could be worth a call if you haven't already.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,168 times
Ya, I second (or third) the calling the insurance company. On our drive out here three years ago we got two rock chips. I couldn't even be sure it happened in Texas! But USAA gave me the names of a couple of business that I called and one came right to our hotel on day three in town! Fixed us right up with no cost to me.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:32 PM

311 posts, read 845,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I got a 4-6" long crack (on my windshield )
is it true that when it is that long it can't be fixed?

My POS = Mercury Sable has a crack about 40"
Last time I had a chip that turned to a crack they said if it's less than the length of a dollar bill they can fix it. Longer & they have to replace the windshield.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:34 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Thanks for the help and suggestions, especially djw as we also have USAA and I didn't realize they offered that service. I just checked their web site and found...

Quote:
If you have comprehensive coverage on your USAA auto policy and the damage to your windshield can be successfully repaired, USAA will cover the cost of the repair and no deductible will be applied.
Which is great news! I will give them a call and hopefully this will preempt the crack getting worse!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-25-2009, 08:16 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
For those who don't have comprehensive, any recommendations? My fiance's car has a small crack (quarter-sized) and we'd like to get it fixed. There's one vote for roadside guy, any others out there?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:02 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,147 times
try a glass polishing kit look it up on ebay/google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio