Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,046 times

Advertisements

HaaHaaa thanks!! I feel like part of the club now! I have to agree about all the speed traps everywhere!! its insane!! and if i may add... i was speeding.. yes but it was about 8 miles over, on 1604. that is hardly anything!!
thank you for the info, was very helpful!! now do i first go to the courthouse and let them know what i would like to do before i go to HEB?
Am i able to take the DD course even if i have a California drivers license? (military)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 05:30 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthac1616 View Post
HaaHaaa thanks!! I feel like part of the club now! I have to agree about all the speed traps everywhere!! its insane!! and if i may add... i was speeding.. yes but it was about 8 miles over, on 1604. that is hardly anything!!
thank you for the info, was very helpful!! now do i first go to the courthouse and let them know what i would like to do before i go to HEB?
Am i able to take the DD course even if i have a California drivers license? (military)
Locals that have never lived in other places seem to think that the excessive speed traps are normal. You and I know that they are not. Major cities are too busy trying to catch REAL criminals instead of messing around with such petty stuff. You normally have to appear at the place indicated on the citation and then claim "no lo contendere" and state that you wish to take the DD course. You must then request your driving record from the State. Not sure how that works since you came from another State. Then go to HEB and give yourself time to listen to the long boring DVD. Texas law states that you normally must transfer to Texas license within 10 days of moving here. If you have a Calif DL, they make you pay double!

It used to be much worse before SA got so built up and the upping of the max speed limit. The entire stretch of Selma-Schertz on I-35 was ALL speed trap and the speed limit was a mere 55, way too slow for an interstate. When you are driving betw cities, please stick to the Interstates when you can, unless there is an especially scenic route that you can't do without.

P.s: Drivers have a tendency to drive UNDER the speed limit here by at least 10-15 miles. Be wary of this and drive defensively among those fools.
I-35

Old 12-27-2011, 09:41 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
Here you are, Good Sirs: San Antonio Texas Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange

Don't allow the incompetents to use you for revenue generation to fund their incompetence machine.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Here you are, Good Sirs: San Antonio Texas Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange

Don't allow the incompetents to use you for revenue generation to fund their incompetence machine.
Funny, I pass many of those locations all the time and I have never been caught in any "speed trap!"

Oh, that's right, because I obey the speed limit!

If there are any "incompetents," it's those who think these websites are worth a damn! Anyone dumb enough to think that website is of any use while driving through San Antonio deserves the ticket they get for speeding when they get caught anyway.

Seriously, how hard is it to be a little responsible and drive accordingly to the law? I guess for some it is tough, but we all know the famous John Wayne quote about life being tough...

Old 12-28-2011, 12:41 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Funny, I pass many of those locations all the time and I have never been caught in any "speed trap!"

Oh, that's right, because I obey the speed limit!

If there are any "incompetents," it's those who think these websites are worth a damn! Anyone dumb enough to think that website is of any use while driving through San Antonio deserves the ticket they get for speeding when they get caught anyway.

Seriously, how hard is it to be a little responsible and drive accordingly to the law? I guess for some it is tough, but we all know the famous John Wayne quote about life being tough...
Actually, it's not difficult at all, if the speed limits are appropriate. If the speed limits are inappropriate, well, you know what that means. Anyways, don't forget: I have never had a traffic citation in San Antonio city limits. There's a reason for that: the speed limits are appropriate in San Antonio and I drive only as I am comfortable, based on the cues of the road design and condition in addition to the densities of traffic, residences & businesses. Thank goodness for appropriate speed limits!

You're right. In a big city like San Antonio or Houston or wherever, it barely helps you at all, there are so many pages and pages of speed traps and "traps". However, look up Shavano Park. Now THERE it's quite helpful. If you look up a small town you know you're going to drive through, you can see if they have inappropriate speed limits or overzealous enforcement or worse, both. It's a good way to do your research. Certainly helped me while driving through Atoka, Oklahoma on the way to Branson, Missouri! Atoka Oklahoma Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange

So, yes, you are correct. In a big city, it doesn't help much. But on road trips through unfamiliar territory, it can be of tremendous help. At least you won't be ignorant anymore.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Texas law states that you normally must transfer to Texas license within 10 days of moving here.

90 days.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:59 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
So, yes, you are correct. In a big city, it doesn't help much. But on road trips through unfamiliar territory, it can be of tremendous help. At least you won't be ignorant anymore.
Being ignorant is thinking these websites are of any use. Where an officer was set up three days ago is not going to be any use to someone today. There are certain areas that are more stringently enforced, such as Leon Valley or Grey Forest; but for the most part San Antonio does not have any specific areas where these so-called "traps" are prevalent (and again, how is enforcing the speed limit a "trap?" It's clearly posted, and if a driver is exceeding it then there is no "entrapment" other than by their own stupidity!).

Honestly, it is a much smarter tactic to simply drive no faster than 75% of the traffic. Cops don't hone in on packs of cars, they look for that one individual who is clearly exceeding the limit and the easiest way to do that is to compare their speed against the rest of traffic. Coming home from this airport this morning I saw several vehicles that would have caught any cop's attention as they were clearly going much faster than the majority of traffic.

So yes you can probably get away with exceeding the speed limit by about 5-10 MPH and still not get a ticket. Enforcement is not that strict here as anyone who regularly drives our roads can attest. It's those maniacs who go "above and beyond" the limit (usually 15-20 MPH) that are the ones mostly likely getting pulled over, and honestly they deserve it as they are those who are putting the rest of is in the greatest danger (beside drunk drivers, of course!).

Old 12-28-2011, 02:16 PM

245 posts, read 696,179 times
I remember getting pulled over once about 30 min south of San Antonio for going 5 mph over the speed limit at night. I told the cop I had just driven about 2,400 miles round-trip in 4 days (to central Mexico and back) and that since my car didn't have cruise control, my right calf muscles were starting to cramp up, and that I had just a little ways to go before I got home. He just asked for my passport (to verify my story) and let me go with a warning (I also didn't realize that at night the speed limit was 5 mph less on the freeway, from 70 to 65. Thought it was just a recommendation!)

Got pulled over a month ago up here in OK City on the way to pick up my parents for my daughter's 1-year old b-day party. The speed limit changed from 40 to 20 around a curve just like that and before I knew it a cop had caught me. Incredibly enough that morning I had lost my driver's license (unbeknownst to me until I went to look for it, it fell out of my pocket), so I appeared to be as guilty as sin. The cop saw all of the b-day balloons in my car and let me go with a warning as well, reminding me it would have been a $200+ ticket (speeding + no license).

I always saw tons of traffic cops in San Antonio. When we get back there, I'm going to be extra careful and go the speed limit at all times because finally after 3 years our previous tickets have dropped off and I don't want to have to pay higher insurance premiums again!!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 AM

144 posts, read 360,205 times
Resurrecting for a question about a parking ticket.

My parents are older (late 70s/early 80s) and have a handicapped hanger for my mom. The other day they went to their doctor as my mom was not feeling well. My dad dropped her off at the door (something he never does) and parked and forgot to put the hanger on (also something he never does). Of course, this one time out of 9999 times that he forgets, they got a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot.

They have documentation that they've had the hanger for years. Is it worth going to court to talk to the judge on their behalf? It's a hefty fine and I was hoping for some mercy...

Thoughts? Thanks!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markintosh View Post
Resurrecting for a question about a parking ticket.

My parents are older (late 70s/early 80s) and have a handicapped hanger for my mom. The other day they went to their doctor as my mom was not feeling well. My dad dropped her off at the door (something he never does) and parked and forgot to put the hanger on (also something he never does). Of course, this one time out of 9999 times that he forgets, they got a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot.

They have documentation that they've had the hanger for years. Is it worth going to court to talk to the judge on their behalf? It's a hefty fine and I was hoping for some mercy...

Thoughts? Thanks!

In theory, that should be rather easy to get taken care of (you may still have a small court cost of 10-25 bucks)

First of all, have him call and explain to the clerk what happend. That should give him all the asnwers. Chances are, he will have to either show up with the documents or mail/fax them in.

While a bit of a pain, this should not be a complicated affair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio