Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:37 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
According to this: http://www.cpsenergy.com/files/EC_Apr09_eng.pdf (broken link)

I can email a photo of my meter for my monthly reading. Here's my question...how do they KNOW it's a picture of MY meter?
Two ways:
  1. The serial number of the meter is on its face (at least, it's on mine).
  2. They know the last reading, so if the reading in your picture is less than the last one, or excessively higher than the last one, then they'll know it's not yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 01:03 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I used to live in a city where the water meters were inside the house. If you weren't going to be home to let the water utility in to read the meter, one of the options was to give them their own key.

Since we were never willing to do that, either Mrs. Bowie or I had to stay home from work to let them in once a year to do the reading.
I remember the 1920s bungalow my parents bought in the early 1960s here in San Antonio. The electric meter and disconnect were next to the back door inside a screened porch. The overhead drop entered the front of the house and ran through the attic to the meter. The house was re-wired immediately after purchase, and the new meter and disconnect were placed on the side of the house near the front.

The gas meter was located in the crawl space underneath the front corner of the house. There was a slit cut into the skirting around the foundation that allowed the meter reader to shine a flashlight in it and take the reading. There was a hatch in the skirting next to it that gave access to the meter for servicing and to turn the gas on/off. All the gas meters in the neighborhood that weren't already so, were moved outside around 1970.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio