Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 06:09 PM

251 posts, read 1,066,333 times

Advertisements

First of all I want to thank all of those that have helped with the planning of this trip. I have it all booked now, plane, rental car and hotel. I'm coming for three short days the week after Easter.

I have some personal interests that I need to attend to at the Toyota plant as well as the three Super Targets on the north side of SA. I also plan on checking out the Riverwalk, RiverCenter, Crossroads and North Star malls, Dave & Busters (haven't been since California ), and will probably drive through a lot of the communities, downtown, Stone Oak (only cause N0V Hawk won't shut up about it ), AH, and the probably all the communities in-between.

I want to personally thanks 210 for all the positive comments and great pictures of SA; wCat, little_thirsty, jules07, steel_man, and 21bl0wed for your input on hotels (I chose Quality Inn & Suites Northwood in Hollywood Park - thoughts?); and everyone else for creating such an active, great forum here at CD.

I look forward to my visit. 14 DAYS AWAY!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 06:12 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Just a question, why crossroads mall? It has a supertarget and a steinmart, that it's. You would be better off going to La Cantera

Old 03-27-2007, 06:16 PM

My hopes is to learn what the people of SA are all about. As this visit is for a possible relocation I want to see a wide variety of people, and in my opinion a mall is a great place to do just that.

I did forget to add La Cantera to the list. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:50 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Awww....thanks Chimpie. You're more than welcome. Enjoy your trip, even if it is short. You're actually coming at a good time. Next week is Holy Week and we have a huge onslaught of tourist travels from Mexican nationals on vacation. The malls will be packed all week through Easter weekend. My daughter works at a restaruant at the Prime Outlet in San Marcos and they are gearing up for long hours. The week you'll be here should be rather "normal".....and you'll miss the meyhem during FieStA!!!!

Cheers!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:02 PM

While my visit will be short, are there any sites or places I must check out while I'm there?

Old 03-29-2007, 06:41 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
If you really want to see people at a mall, avoid Crossroads. It's practically dead. (Unless you enjoy the sound of a lone cricket chirping.) I would recommend Ingram Mall for an indoor mall experience. It's not that far from Crossroads, just a few miles west on 410.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:27 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,535 times
Have a great time!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Chimpie....for a three day visit, it sounds like you've got a full plate. If you have time, visit San Fernando Cathedral or the Alamo for a touch of SA's past. Since you're visiting the River Walk, you'll be close by. Also near downtown is King William Historical District. A drive through that are will give you a taste of turn of the century German influence in Architecture.

Alamo Heights is hard to define by a quick drive through. When you get closer to your trip, I'll try to give you a little travel route through that area to get the full spectrum of architecture in that area as well.

The Shops at La Cantera has high end shopping, Neimans, Tiffanys, Burberry etc.....it's an open air mall that is quite different from the conventional malls. A short drive up I-10 and you can see the Dominion to the East...take the Leon Springs exit and stop off for some BBQ at Rudy's. At that point, you won't be far from Boerne.....and it worth a trip through downtown to see more restored German architecture and a quaint lovely small town.

Back down I-10 across from Six Flags area is the new shopping area (some still under construction.) It's called "The Rim"....lot's of good shopping, higher end chains...but still a lot of activity.

BTW - The Dominion is a gated secured community. You can see the homes spotted on the hill side, but you won't be able to drive through it.

Another close town the drive through if you have time would be New Braunfels and neighboring Gruene (pronounced Green). It's right on the Guadalupe River. The Grist Mill restaruant is up on a cliff side and over looks the river. Great fried catfish there! Next door is the famous Gruene Dance hall known for being filmed in a number of movied.....great honky tonk....and lot's of big name country western celebs often drop in. Willie Nelson often drops in.

(Maybe you need two trips!)

Let us know what you think when you get back and enjoy your time here!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio