Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 01:10 PM

217 posts, read 1,758,374 times

Advertisements

Need advice badly about gardening I live near Seaworld. Totally new to gardening. 1.What are some good beautiful plants to plant that look great and stand to this weather?.

Also I wanted to do a container garden or to plant in the ground but have no ideal of what to plant to produce beautiful veggies any advice on container gardens or ground planting that produce.

Also what do you do to keep the snakes out of the yard or rabbits or animals if you plant a vegetable garden. I have school age kids and want to look out for their safety.

Lastly my grass looks like hay so any advice on what we can do to make it more beautiful I grew up with the st.augustine grass but with my current home we have the bermuda what can we do to make the yard grow green again and keep it beautiful.

I know a lot of questions but my hubby is trying and purchased a few items but we don't want to waste money with this ecomony so I figure I would ask people who have lived in San Antonio,Tx and know what to do.

Blessings to you.

Please give some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 04:26 PM

214 posts, read 501,977 times
For the snakes, adopt a couple cats by bringing them home and just feeding them off the back porch. Do not declaw them, and just let them live outside. One cat would probably be enough but they are going to have more to do if there's two of them.

As for what to plant, first design your garden beds properly. Bring in fresh dark topsoil, fertilize it with compost, and make sure and put in the weed barrier 10"-24" under it. With the right drainage, watering, and nutrients the Texas heat can grow all kinds of wonderful things.

For your grass I'd have to see it. If it's completely dead and ain't coming back, it may be time to till it up and lay new sod. If it's not completely dead just start watering it in the evenings after the sun is under the horizon. It's too late to fertilize effectively because it's too hot, so you'll have to wait until next year for that.

If you'd like a free program to design your garden and totally free information, check out Moderator cut: link to web site - it's my business website, but like I said - everything linked there is completely free and what you learn to do is completely dependent on what you take the time to look up. Definitely check out Texas A&M's planting website. They have exhaustive guides to what does what and what grows best.

If you need any more information let me know. I'll be taking this question and writing a blog for it, just like all the questions I get.

Last edited by Bo; 04-11-2009 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Per the TOS, members can't link to their own sites. You may request the link from reallybigshoe via DM.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:03 PM

217 posts, read 1,758,374 times
Thanks I will look at your website this may be helpful. My hubby read your post as well. We will be reviewing any and all advice is welcome .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: