Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:54 PM

715 posts, read 1,356,705 times

Advertisements

For those that have never heard of this place, it's a cupcake franchise that bills itself kinda like a starbucks but instead they sell "high end" cupcakes. They look pretty good and have been on Oprah, Regis........and other major shows nationally. They are in serious expansion and already have one in Dallas and will open one in Houston this summer. Even though they are $3.25 a cupcake and 36 bucks for a dozen, it's well worth it because they are pretty big and use imported ingredients. Now, I know I'll get stormed by the people who will say "this is all SA needs, another food place to make us even fatter" but hey, the place is off the hook! If it hits where it orginally started in Beverly Hills, I think if put in the right location in SA, it would do well. Check em out at ::: Sprinkles Cupcakes :::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
There are already a few cupcake specialty bakeries in town. How is this better than those? Not trying to be snarky or provocative... I'm just curious.

Kate's Frosting - San Antonio - Home

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...-potranco.html

Last edited by Bo; 04-11-2009 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Added a sentence for clarity.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:24 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,008 times
I have been to some of the cupcake places in other cities and tend to love them, but I agree with Bowie that the ones mentioned here in town are pretty tasty... as are the cupcakes at Broadway Daily Bread.

Oh, and the cupcake trailer in Austin is fairly yummy as well. (My DH and I did an all-trailer-food day in Austin a while back - Flip Happy crepes for breakfast, then tacos at Torchy's for lunch, then cupcakes at the trailer whose name I have forgotten for a late dessert.)

Old 04-11-2009, 04:29 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Sprinkles? They stole quite a bit of their recipes from Magnolia Bakery in NYC, as well as Sugar Sweet Sunshine in the Lower East (also in NYC). That's not taking away that they're all good cupcakes. San Antonio's getting a localized cupcake spot in Southtown soon, called Aroma. It's going in a few doors down from Azuca.

What I really want SA to embrace is the Pinkberry craze

BN

Old 04-11-2009, 08:32 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Well....it certainly is pretty...and I love cupcakes, but it just seems too commercial for my personal taste. I love the homegrown mom and pop bakeries that took a lot of dedication, hard work and talent to offer their wares.

These look like something you'd find in the designer malls at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. A dozen cupcakes on a cupcake plate in a gift box for $76??? What's to remember? It's sort of like Godiva Chocolates on steroids. Sorry to sound like a wet blanket, and soooooo many people are begging for SA to be more trendy and upscale, I'm just not sure cupcakes are gonna be the answer. Especially not this kind of business start up in this economy.

Just my .02.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 PM

791 posts, read 3,960,300 times
Not to knock Kate's Frosting or Cupcake Junction (?) but cupcakes are already past their prime as a trend in other cities and will probably not be much more than a short-term fad here. Locally owned businesses have a better chance of adapting to changing tastes and trends than a one-concept franchise. Still, that said, Kate's Frosting has AMAZING cupcakes. Can't take the dog for a walk down Main St. too often... so many calories, so hard to resist.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 AM

45 posts, read 134,436 times
Sprinkles is quite tasty-better than anything here in town, although Cake Shop is pretty good as well, but not even close in concept. I think the cupcake craze will continue for a while as people like small indulgences, and $3 for a cupcake is a nice, reasonably cheap treat. You can vote on Sprinkles' website for where their next location should be. Tried the cupcake trailer in Austin and was not that impressed-tasted more like a grocery store cupcake to me. If you ever get to St Louis or Knoxville (random aside), go to The Cupcakery. Those are the best cupcakes I have ever had.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
"Hey Cupcake" is the trailer in Austin off S Congress. My kids enjoyed the vegan strawberry. i thought the frosting was pretty good from the tiny taste i was able to steal.

I thought SA already had their knockoff version.... http://www.saweetcupcakes.com/

Old 05-03-2010, 10:22 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
"Hey Cupcake" is the trailer in Austin off S Congress. My kids enjoyed the vegan strawberry. i thought the frosting was pretty good from the tiny taste i was able to steal.

I thought SA already had their knockoff version.... Saweet Cupcakes - San Antonio
I have only tried Hey Cupcake twice and wasn't overly thrilled - frosting was decent, but the cake was somewhat dry. I prefer Sugar Mama's when in Austin.

There are a few cupcake places around town, but I haven't tried any of them. When I drive by Cupcake Couture on Broadway, I always think about stopping in but never have. I need to try some of these places out!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
I just bake my own cupcakes. :-D I don't need an overpriced bakery to tell me how much better mine are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio