Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:52 PM

170 posts, read 596,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I think it's because a lot of people were taught (even though there is no rule) that you are not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition, and the second sentence--I guess they are expecting an "us" or a "me" with that.
Well, there is a rule, but it's an old holdover from latinate grammar, one of several grammars that are slowly falling out of style. The problem I have with "Where are you at?" is not that "at" is a preposition but that it's wholly unnecessary. Still, I wouldn't call it wrong, just inefficient and perhaps overally informal for certain settings.

Back to the subject, my wife and I used to have exchanges like this:

Me: What should I do with this bottle?

Wife: Just throw it.

Me: Throw it where? Hahaha!

Of course, I knew she meant "throw it away," but I always had to laugh. Her first language was Spanish, so I think she was more or less borrowing the construction from her first language. A Filipino girlfriend from years ago used to say the exact same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:10 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,397,160 times
My mom is filipino, and has a Thai friend that says "shut the light" when she wants you to turn the light off. Goofy.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:13 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
How about "make groceries"--that's not a SA thing, it's a VA thing, but I never could figure out how to make them.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 AM

31 posts, read 166,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
My mom is filipino, and has a Thai friend that says "shut the light" when she wants you to turn the light off. Goofy.
I'm not sure, but it might be an influence from the Sino-Tibetan family of languages (think any dialect of Chinese: Mandarin, Cantonese, etc.) on Thai. The term in mandarin is 開燈 (kai deng), which literally means to "Open" the light, means to turn on the light. So its only natural that they'd use 關燈 (guan deng), which means to "close" the light, to turn it off

Old 04-13-2009, 07:48 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,397,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunadz View Post
I'm not sure, but it might be an influence from the Sino-Tibetan family of languages (think any dialect of Chinese: Mandarin, Cantonese, etc.) on Thai. The term in mandarin is 開燈 (kai deng), which literally means to "Open" the light, means to turn on the light. So its only natural that they'd use 關燈 (guan deng), which means to "close" the light, to turn it off
Whoa. I just thought she was out there....of course, that was years ago!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 AM

874 posts, read 2,883,520 times
I'm glad others mentioned the "I'm going to take the baby a bath" and floor v. ground things. I hear those both a lot here, but have heard them from my husband's family for years and they drive me crazy as well. I don't know how they missed the "get off the car" saying if they have some of the other ones... They are in Galveston. None of the grandkids - my husband's generation - speaks any more Spanish than I do, which is just a tiny bit - yet they all still ended up saying some of these things.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,592,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Another one I've heard around here is that instead of saying "I'll drive you home" or "I'll take you home", some folks say "I'll carry you home".
Yeah, that makes me crazy too. My husband's family also says, "Do you want to carry the baby?" when they aren't moving. I always say, "Carry the baby where? I'm just sitting here!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio