Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 21,045 times

Advertisements

My family and myself are currently residing in the suburbs of Buffalo, NY. The job scene is horrific and my husband wants to look elsewhere. He found some great jobs listed in both Austin and San Antonio. Problem is that we've never been to either city before! I've done some preliminary reading about both cities and there is a lot of contradicting information - except that apparently Texans are crazy aggressive drivers!

I want to live somewhere that is safe and enjoyable to raise a family. My only child will be starting school where we potentially move. I naturally want him to go to a very strong school to give him the best opportunities - but I've never been a huge fan of private schools. What areas should I be looking in that have good family oriented neighborhoods and excellent school districts (maybe around the $200k to $300k range)? My husband is a software engineer so he'd be commuting to where the tech jobs are located...maybe no more than 30 minute commutes. Suggestions?

I'm partial to San Antonio b/c of its culture and family events like Sea World, Six Flags, etc. At the same time I read Austin isn't that far of a drive so I'm looking for more to solidify which area would best suit us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:47 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Here's where you start:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

There's my suggestion. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:45 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
San Antonio (what answer were you expecting on this forum?)

Austin is a great town if you are young and single or a yuppie; but expensive and not as family-friendly as SA. We have a much lower cost of living and you get more for your housing dollar down here. SA is also more conservative, and Austin more liberal.

There have been numerous discussions on these two towns on this forum as well as Austin's (if I am not mistaken), if you are interested in other people's opinions.

But either way, the weather here is sure to be a lot better than upstate NY!

Cheers! M2

Old 04-13-2009, 04:49 PM

276 posts, read 970,125 times
Both cities are great family places. Cost of living is higher in Austin, but it is not prohibitive. SA is a bit more conservative, Austin more liberal.

You cannot go wrong with either, IMHO. I will say this, if I were a single person, it would be a no brainer. Austin.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:01 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I made that decision not too long ago and this is what I've found from my research and living in San Antonio 6 months,
If I'm wrong about anything, just let me know

San Antonio:
- Very few high tech jobs
- Has a middle class, military (Air Force) atmosphere
- Great highway system with nice highway loops around the city
- Pretty flat and dry
- Low cost of living
- Only 2-1/2 hours from Corpus Christi

Austin:
- Lots of high tech jobs
- Has a college town atmosphere to it (city with a huge university)
- Crappy highway system/planning and has toll roads (will have a lightrail metro)
- Has nice hills, lake, etc.
- Higher cost of living than San Antonio
- More economic disparity (easier to find rich people and beggers)

Old 04-13-2009, 05:59 PM

276 posts, read 970,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinePam View Post
He found some great jobs listed in both Austin and San Antonio.
You could split the difference and live in New Braunfels or San Marcos. Many people do.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:51 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I made that decision not too long ago and this is what I've found from my research and living in San Antonio 6 months,
If I'm wrong about anything, just let me know

San Antonio:
- Very few high tech jobs
- Has a middle class, military (Air Force) atmosphere
- Great highway system with nice highway loops around the city
- Pretty flat and dry
- Low cost of living
- Only 2-1/2 hours from Corpus Christi

Austin:
- Lots of high tech jobs
- Has a college town atmosphere to it (city with a huge university)
- Crappy highway system/planning and has toll roads (will have a lightrail metro)
- Has nice hills, lake, etc.
- Higher cost of living than San Antonio
- More economic disparity (easier to find rich people and beggers)
This sounds pretty accurate. There are very nice hills as you get to North and Northwest SA though. Austin is greener. Both are pretty dry with SA being more dry.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
I lived in Buffalo and have great affection for the town. I have family in Austin now.

Both are fun places to live - both have some problems but much superior to the current state of Buffalo.

I'd decide based on job prospects - but I've friends who do live in some of the smaller towns outside of each. That works.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
This sounds pretty accurate.
Pretty amazing for a guy that's been in Texas 6 months

Old 04-14-2009, 12:18 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,458 times
San Antonio and Austin are the same when it comes to the have and have nots (segregated) , people tend to stay to their sides of town, at least when I was going to school at Texas State I noticed that a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio